Why become a member? ×

Genz Benz - Shuttle 9.2 vs Streamliner 900

mcnach

I'm looking at these two heads. They seem pretty good value at the moment and I remember liking what I heard from the Shuttle 9.2 a while ago.

I'm trying to figure out what are the main differences between these two amps, in practical terms. The Streamliner seems a bit "warmer" but with lots of top end still, from watching videos on Youtube, but that's hardly a good way to judge.

Has anybody here compared both?

I've decided the TC RH450 doesn't really do it for me anymore, and I'd like something a bit more "open" and with a bottom end that does not sound so "compressed".

I've had both. Like you say, the Streamliner has been designed with that warmer valve tone.

The Streamliner is a really good amp. Playing with the tone controls is fun, because, in true valve style, one affects the other, so it's not quite as intuitive as you might first think, and takes a bit of playing around with.
I had read reports of it being 'rediculously scooped' but to my ears, this is overstating things hugely; there is a slight mid dip/natural big bass when all settings at at 12, but this is easily dialled out. I found the OTB to be MUCH more mid scooped than the Streamliner.
The controls are deliberately simple, and the mid freq control only has three settings, and whether that is sufficient enough depends on how much of a tweaker you are.
It is LOUD!

The Shuttle 9.2 is much more comprehensive and intuitive; it's a blank canvas. Every control does exactly what you expect it to do, and there are some presets which add to the versatility. Both of these amps have a built-in high pass filter set at 30hz, which doesn't seem to be lacking at all. I understand that the TC has a filter set at a higher frequency. The Bass preset bypasses the high pass filter if you fancy some lower frequencies.
The tone is very transparent.
It might be because it's so pure in tone, but it didn't seem to be as loud as the Streamliner, although it's still loud enough for most applications.

I was not overly impressed by the overdriven valve tone on either, but then I have an all-valve amp for that, so I've been spoilt in that department.

Overall, each has their strengths and weaknesses, but I was very impressed by both amps.

Edited by Roland Rock

I went from a RH450 to a Streamliner (and owned a couple of Mesas at the same time/in between), and I'd say if you like what the RH450 is trying to do in terms of a voiced, older-school tone, but you want more warmth and bottom, then the Streamliner would seem to be your friend.

As always though, if you can possibly try them first, do so.

I tried a streamliner 600 but ended up getting the shuttlemax 9.2. The streamliner was very smooth, but a bit wooly. This might have been my speaker/ bass setup though. I much prefer the FET channel on the shuttlemax, not that keen on the valve channel. The shuttle has only got the valve option. The FET is very clear and precise, seemed to work much better in a band mix. I went for the 9.2 over the 12.2 as I only ever use one cab. If you use 2 cabs then the 12.2 with the 2 600 watt amps may be a better option for you.
Cheers
Thebassman

Well I've just sent back 3 ShuttleMax12,2s, not because they sound bad, just had a few issues with them (1st one a power input housing clip cracked, 1st replacement was a return (bought a new one) and the last one got squashed by someone in transit to me!). I liked the versatility of the two channels, and I thought the overdrive on the tube channel was fine (at least for what I wanted!). The FET channel did sound really nice (through my two Markbass cabs). I did notice the fan on the ones I had was louder than I would have expected, but I guess when the band is playing no-one would hear it anyhow.

I now have a Shuttle 9.2 and a Streamliner 900 (oh, and an old Shuttle 6.0). I really dig the 9.2, great sound via the above cabs with a decent amount of drive needed if that is what you're after. I've only played with the Streamliner in the house and so far the one thing that I really like is the treble control, if you turn it down it's not too far off a passive tone control on a Jazz or P, really nice tone.

I haven't head that much difference in warmness between the two, I suppose my cabs do tend to give a warmer sound anyhow. One thing to point out is the 9.2 is smaller than the Streamliner, not by much, but if that is an issue it might be worth mentioning.

Any more questions just ask B)

Edited by jimbobothy

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1391367227' post='2356326']
Knobbage :lol:

I am not a big fan of a million knobs, but I can deal with the amount of knobs in the Shuttle, they seem pretty reasonable and intuitive. No "Kosmos" or "Grunt" labelled knobs :P
[/quote]

Also, just because you have all the tonal options, it Doesn't mean you have to twiddle with them constantly. I used them to find my sound, now I just use the volume knob, unless the room has really weird acoustics.
Cheers
Thebassman

[quote name='Iana' timestamp='1391367663' post='2356339']
Shuttle is tight and bright streamliner is big fat old school tube tone with a very sweet treble.
Both great but depends on the cab you pair it with.... Streamliner can be fussy on cab matches.
[/quote]

....see above lol!!

[quote name='Iana' timestamp='1391367663' post='2356339']
Shuttle is tight and bright streamliner is big fat old school tube tone with a very sweet treble.
Both great but depends on the cab you pair it with.... Streamliner can be fussy on cab matches.
[/quote]

This! Best option would be both...haha! The Streamliner treble is BEAUTIFUL...really nice modern yet not overly clack treble.

I am in principle more interested in the Shuttle 9.2, because I like the semiparametric mids control better...
But I'm slightly "worried" about the description of "hi-fi" and lacking lows... On the one hand "hi-fi" sounds cool to me. I hear that applied to MarkBass amps and I like my LMIII. But obviously I don't want something that requires massive tweakage to sound "full".

I favour bridge pickup sounds, which are thinner by nature, fattened up. Think "growl" and "fingerstyle funk" with a bridge pickup Jazz bass or a Stingray.

It's got to be fat enough for ska... but with definition (hence the brdge pickup). Not into very trebly stuff... but I like top end. One reason to let my RH450 go is I want more top end.

The reviews by Ed Friedland make both amps sound absolutely fine, so that's not helping me a lot.
My gut says the Streamliner is the "safest" option (prettier too ;)... but the 9.2 seems a bit more versatile to me...

How would you compare the Streamliner 900 and the Shuttle 9.2, related to the Markbass LMIII/II and the RH450?

It's a massive oversimplification, but if you want it in two camps, the Streamliner sound is nearer the RH450 (tho deeper, warmer and much less compressed), and the Shuttle is a more comparable amp to the LM. I had a LMIII before either the RH450 or the Streamliner, but you can see the sound I was after by the progression of amps. I should say I'm very happy with the Streamliner.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1391438275' post='2357126']
It's a massive oversimplification, but if you want it in two camps, the Streamliner sound is nearer the RH450 (tho deeper, warmer and much less compressed), and the Shuttle is a more comparable amp to the LM. I had a LMIII before either the RH450 or the Streamliner, but you can see the sound I was after by the progression of amps. I should say I'm very happy with the Streamliner.
[/quote]

Do you find the Streamliner has more going on on the top end? The RH450 is never really bright.
I have to say that from the demo of the Streamliner, I thought the treble control was really good, I was impressed, not brittle at all...

The MB LMIII was clean, smooth, and warm to me. Very precise. Nice amp. I wouldn't go down the MB route nowadays as I personally think they've lost their way a little. We just want a LMIV with more power, semi para mids, aux in/headphones, and the same tone.

The RH450 is still a favourite of mine. I love that baked in tone. The 750 will give you the treble snap. The RH450 amp is more in the Aguilar TH500 territory. Eg, lots of punch!

The Shuttle is closer to the Markbass F1/500. Eg, very precise, very quick! This is more apparent with the Max 9.2 and the FET channel. The normal 9.2 will have the warmth of the tube...but it is still tight and bright, but it will give you plenty of low end.

The Streamliner has a small mid scoop with controls at 12. This is the same as many famous amps! E.g. Orange TB500, GK amps and Fender amps. It can be controlled, easily. The knobs are there to turn!

The bass on the Streamliner is huge. I love it. It can be tamed...easily.

With a Stingray...tough choice...they both sound fantastic. I am a huge Musicman fan and both the Streamliner and Shuttlemax sound great...excellent features, superb DI and headphone out, etc.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1391441193' post='2357170']
The MB LMIII was clean, smooth, and warm to me. Very precise. Nice amp. I wouldn't go down the MB route nowadays as I personally think they've lost their way a little. We just want a LMIV with more power, semi para mids, aux in/headphones, and the same tone.

The RH450 is still a favourite of mine. I love that baked in tone. The 750 will give you the treble snap. The RH450 amp is more in the Aguilar TH500 territory. Eg, lots of punch!

The Shuttle is closer to the Markbass F1/500. Eg, very precise, very quick! This is more apparent with the Max 9.2 and the FET channel. The normal 9.2 will have the warmth of the tube...but it is still tight and bright, but it will give you plenty of low end.

The Streamliner has a small mid scoop with controls at 12. This is the same as many famous amps! E.g. Orange TB500, GK amps and Fender amps. It can be controlled, easily. The knobs are there to turn!

The bass on the Streamliner is huge. I love it. It can be tamed...easily.

With a Stingray...tough choice...they both sound fantastic. I am a huge Musicman fan and both the Streamliner and Shuttlemax sound great...excellent features, superb DI and headphone out, etc.
[/quote]
Agreed. Both versitile amps, but the Streamliner does tend to lean towards Rock music styles a little more.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1391439566' post='2357148']
Do you find the Streamliner has more going on on the top end? The RH450 is never really bright.
I have to say that from the demo of the Streamliner, I thought the treble control was really good, I was impressed, not brittle at all...
[/quote]

Yes, the Streamliner has a VERY nice treble control. The slap on a Ray sounds brilliant. Very 'piano' like and clear. Roll it back and its like a passive tone control on a Fender.

dang... now I want... BOTH! :lol:

ah, decisions, decisions... sounds like I'd like either but, which one more?

every hour I convince myself that the other is the right one.

The grit on the Streamliner sounds mighty... although it's not a sound I use much... and have pedals for that. BUt adding a little bit of that to fatten the sound up is a nice option... The Shuttle seems a bit "edgier" in that respect?

The Shuttle is the SAFE option. Clean, balanced, take pedals well, etc. A neutral (ish) platform. The LF Extension button is better on the .2 models so that will fatten it up.

The Streamliner is perhaps the fun option. If you like the tone of a very powerful clean tube amp (it really does sound like a tube amp) this amp will do it for you.

Please beware that these amps do have a lot of power under the hood and you can overwhelm a lot of cabs without realising it...especially with the bass boosted. Just be careful :)

Both will soon be no more...but I think they are future classics.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1391446345' post='2357244']
The Shuttle is the SAFE option. Clean, balanced, take pedals well, etc. A neutral (ish) platform. The LF Extension button is better on the .2 models so that will fatten it up.

The Streamliner is perhaps the fun option. If you like the tone of a very powerful clean tube amp (it really does sound like a tube amp) this amp will do it for you.

Please beware that these amps do have a lot of power under the hood and you can overwhelm a lot of cabs without realising it...especially with the bass boosted. Just be careful :)

Both will soon be no more...but I think they are future classics.
[/quote]

Thanks, now you're pushing me a little more over to the Shuttle's corner...

The amp will power a couple of Barefaced cabs (sometimes only one), which I hope will be up for it... but I doubt I have to push the amp much. I never pushed my Markbass excessively.

Streamliner is a very 'ballsy' sounding amp. I've been using a 600 for a couple of years and have found it pretty much impossible to get a 'bad' sound out of it. I played through a Shuttle quite a while ago and it was very clear and transparent. Personally, I love the Streamliner for the rock covers band I play in. To me it is Trace Elliot for the 21st Century. I play it through a TechSoundsystems 2x12 and never use it past about 40% (with a loud drummer and 2 guitarists) so the 600 is plenty loud.

What are you waiting for then, man? Get both before it's too late!
Oh, and congrats with the Shuttle. :)

Like Roland Rock, I too find the Shuttle (ShuttleMax / GBE) knobbage very easy to work with.
What I think has not been mentioned in this thread is that some, me included, find the Streamliner knobbage more demanding, meaning I feel one needs more time with it before being able to dial in the sound one hears in one's head.
It remains a very worthy addition to a Shuttle, and even to a GBE or ShuttleMax, AFAICS.