Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Small hands - Squier Vintage Modified Jazz v Precision

Absolute Beginner

A jazz has 2 pickups. You can change the volume output from each giving you a greater control over the attack in the sound.

A p has less variance. Those who play a P generally like the fact that the sound is consistent

that said, you can vary the sound from any bass using the position of your picking hand

Edited by Grangur

Size of hands has very little to do with neck width preference, I would say. There are plenty of female bassists who play 5/6 string basses. I have fairly large hands and generally prefer narrow width necks - yet can find some wide necks reasonably comfy. Necks can vary a heck of a lot in depth which gives another variable in how they feel. It really comes down to whichever you find most comfortable which, unfortunately, means a lot of trial and error.

Maybe, if you need a lightweight bass, that is the place to start from. As a rule most Jazz basses will have narrow necks but are heavier (ok, not all, but most). Ibanez SR-range basses are very lightweight and have exceptionally narrow and shallow necks. A lot of the P-Basses can be lighter in weight but have wider necks - although some models will have shallower necks.

Also you might want to consider whether you want an active bass or passive one. Again, that narrows down your choices.

So, for the sake of discussion, if you wanted a Fender shaped bass with two pickups that was light in weight, active and had a skinny, shallow neck you could probably head straight for a Squier Jazz Bass Deluxe or Precision Deluxe.

While I have been typing this you added you want a retro sound. For me a P bass gives a retro sound, but I guess it is what type of retro sound you mean - both Precisions and Jazzes have been around a few decade. But at least that kind of eliminates the Ibanez/more modern sounding basses from the equation.

Edit - Jazz/vs Precision tone - might be an idea to identify a song on which you particularly like the sound of the bass and post the YouTube on here - between us we should be able to point you in the right direction as far as tone is concerned.

Edited by Paul S

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1390728701' post='2348583']
Size of hands has very little to do with neck width preference, I would say. There are plenty of female bassists who play 5/6 string basses. I have fairly large hands and generally prefer narrow width necks - yet can find some wide necks reasonably comfy. Necks can vary a heck of a lot in depth which gives another variable in how they feel. It really comes down to whichever you find most comfortable which, unfortunately, means a lot of trial and error.

Maybe, if you need a lightweight bass, that is the place to start from. As a rule most Jazz basses will have narrow necks but are heavier (ok, not all, but most). Ibanez SR-range basses are very lightweight and have exceptionally narrow and shallow necks. A lot of the P-Basses can be lighter in weight but have wider necks - although some models will have shallower necks.

Also you might want to consider whether you want an active bass or passive one. Again, that narrows down your choices.

So, for the sake of discussion, if you wanted a Fender shaped bass with two pickups that was light in weight, active and had a skinny, shallow neck you could probably head straight for a Squier Jazz Bass Deluxe.

While I have been typing this you added you want a retro sound. For me a P bass gives a retro sound, but I guess it is what type of retro sound you mean - both Precisions and Jazzes have been around a few decade. But at least that kind of eliminates the Ibanez/more modern sounding basses from the equation.

Edit - Jazz/vs Precision tone - might be an idea to identify a song on which you particularly like the sound of the bass and post the YouTube on here - between us we should be able to point you in the right direction as far as tone is concerned.
[/quote]

+1... One of my students is 5ft 1 and she plays a 5 string precision which I think has quite a big neck profile and it doesn't bother her at all. It's definitely more about comfort than hand size.

Edited by skej21

In terms of preferring a retro sound, some of my favourite bassists are:

John Entwistle
Jack Bruce
Paul McCartney

Thanks.

PS I've only been playing a couple of months and I'm not yet confident enough to post on You Tube !

PPS I bought an Epiphone Viola, as I loved the feel and look of it, but I'm not sure that I've made the right decision.....

For me I find the depth of a basses neck to be more of a factor on comfort/playability than the width and I`ve fairly large hands with a good span between fingers. So the best thing would be to go and try some basses, and whichever your hands won`t put down is the one to buy.

Also, if you like Taxman, check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdSqpT6gfDU

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

Taxman - a lot of basses can give you that sound, roll off the tone most of the way and you are there - including your violin! Although I would say the John Entwistle sound is at the opposite end of the scale!

This Matt Freeman Squier Precision, for sale in the classifieds here, will give you the Taxman thump in spades http://basschat.co.uk/topic/227104-squier-matt-freeman-signature-precision-classic-vibe-with-maple-neck/page__pid__2348623#entry2348623 . It is one of the better Squier models and ticks most of your boxes.

No worries, Bruce is also a hero of mine, probably one of the main reasons why I picked up the bass in the first place. Was lucky enough to meet him on a show we were both on and he was a really nice guy. Took my initial "er hi Bruce, I`m a big fan of your work" very graciously. I was more nervous meeting him than the first time I got called to the headmasters office at school but as said, he was really nice, asked me my opinions on the sound/acoustics of the room, and took an interest in our band. Really decent guy.

When I was a beginner I only bought basses depending on what my idols at the time played. This lead me to buy an Epiphone Thunderbird, Warwick Rockbass Fortress and an old Jackson bass. However, the only bass I had tried in a shop was a Mex Fender Precision and I really liked it. I almost bought a Dean spikey thing, but instead I bought the Fender.

Anyway after a ridiculous amount of basses, mostly Jazzes, a stingray and a Warwick (All high end and very expensive), I'm back to my £350 Mex Fender Precision as an only bass. Its the bass I would always recommend to beginners because a nice passive one is simple to use and you really learn how your technique adapts tone and feel, rather than electronics on an active bass or a jazz bass.

The VM range you're looking at are ideal, I'm thinking of a 5 string version myself. And hand size doesn't make a difference, good technique should sort that out.

I think the best advice is to go and try some basses out, you may be surprised at what you like best. Some people have stated that neck size is unimportant but I have found along with weight this to be among the most vital aspects for my own playing. As Lozz points out though it can be as much about depth as width. How do you get on with the neck width of your current bass?