Why become a member? ×

Pedalboard essentials

topheteatwo

I'm saying what I've got at the minute! ;) http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h241/albakio/20131104_225429.jpg

Some kind of pitch-shifter/octaver, fuzz (green muff type), distortion (rat type), vintage and modern sounding overdrives, some kind of filter, chorus/flanger, and finally delay/echo/reverb...

All essential, to get the job done properly! :lol:

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BigBassBob/media/2013-12-26143338.jpg.html][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v155/BigBassBob/2013-12-26143338.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

The things on this board that I consider essential are the tuner, [sfx] Micro Thumpinator, Compressor (PWNZOR) and B7K which I use as either an overdrive, heavy distortion, preamp or EQ boost for passages depending on the gig.

The fuzz is for a handful of songs and for fun. The filter has similar duties but when you run the two together you get some amazing synth tones so I consider these two useful but non-essential gravy.

[quote name='topheteatwo' timestamp='1390578059' post='2347166']

Any preference on what delay?
[/quote]

I have a Strymon Timeline and a Boss DD6 on my board at the mo.

I'd never do without the Timeline now, it's incredible for ambient stuff, crazy sounds can come out of it beyond just the usual delays!

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1390580215' post='2347212']
I have a Strymon Timeline and a Boss DD6 on my board at the mo.

I'd never do without the Timeline now, it's incredible for ambient stuff, crazy sounds can come out of it beyond just the usual delays!
[/quote]

The Strymon stuff is just ridiculous, but not cheap!...

I had a few (Boss DDs, Akai Headrush, TC Flashback) before I settled on the El Capistan. "Tape echo" would probably put most bassists off, but I cannot articulate exactly how beautiful, lush, warm and (most importantly!) clear it sounds! I've been in love with it ever since :D

I used to play in a post hardcore band, stingray into old valve amp. Just a tu-2 and an old fulltone bassdrive for light and heavy o/d options...

Now i play in a band where fuzzy/synthy bass tones are needed / fun, so i go tu-2 into octave (oc-2), various dirts then chorus :)

Never personally needed/wanted a compressor, some swear by them!!

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1390602226' post='2347573']
aren't they all the same aswell?

for me tuner has to be on there and then id probs go for my od pedal the flux drive.

andy
[/quote]

Looks like top left has just a touch of Octave -2, but none on the one next to it, and the far right has no dry, but full Octave -1 and Octave -2.

Still... 3?! :D

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1390602226' post='2347573']
aren't they all the same aswell?
[/quote]

Nearly!

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1390604387' post='2347596']
Looks like top left has just a touch of Octave -2, but none on the one next to it, and the far right has no dry, but full Octave -1 and Octave -2.

Still... 3?! :D
[/quote]

The touch of octave -2 on the top left is accidental - that's how it was when I took it out of the case, I would've turned it back to zero before using it. :)

The top two are in separate channels of the 2-channel mixer because when I make other silly noises I often mix with an OC-2 to keep some beef going on. The third one is a synth-modded one I bought on here the other day, so I don't really have three OC-2s because that one sounds totally different (and fricking amazing).

I may well do away with one of the parallel OC-2s soon, I don't really use the one on the top-right much. Still I'll probably keep it in case the other one breaks, which it probably won't.

It occurred to me last night that with the -2 octave oscillator in the Octavius Squeezer and the potential for 3 stacked Whammies in the M9 I could maybe drop my notes by a full 14 octaves if I wired them all in series. I don't suppose it would make much audible sound but I may well sh*t myself in the process.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1390605010' post='2347608']
It occurred to me last night that with the -2 octave oscillator in the Octavius Squeezer and the potential for 3 stacked Whammies in the M9 I could maybe drop my notes by a full 14 octaves if I wired them all in series. I don't suppose it would make much audible sound but I may well sh*t myself in the process.
[/quote]

I've done 10 octaves down when I had 2 whammies and an OC-2, even at the 24'th fret it made barely a rumble. I also tried various combinations of them all cancelling each other out, like 2 octaves up whammy into one octave down whammy into one octave down OC-2. Unsurprisingly, it sounded pretty crap.