Why become a member? ×

New Bass Day: J&D Vintage 1975 review: Good!

iconic

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1392565998' post='2370070']
I'm finding it hard to resist purchasing one of these bad boys - I play reggae and I need a deep, smooth tone using heavy gauge flatwounds.
just 2 questions to any owners out there:

1) What do they weigh?
2) How is the tone from the neck pick up soloed with the tone rolled off?
[/quote]

mine was quite light for a jazz, tone was fine, a little bright maybe...for for reggae you may wish to fit a 'bigger' cap, say a .1uf?

I'm finding it hard to resist purchasing one of these bad boys - I play reggae and I need a deep, smooth tone using heavy gauge flatwounds.

1) What do they weigh?
[/quote]

Mine is lighter than my Fender 75RI, and a bit heavier than my Squier... I'd say it's pretty average.

You might want to change the tone cap if you want a deeper tone, as it can still be pretty middy with the tone control fully off... which I like, but it's not as "round" as it could be. However , I imagine you would also set your amp differently from what I normally do. I think it would probably work quite well, as it is deep but it has "body". You could always change the cap fro something else if you wanted deeper.

The pickup screws are made of butter. I was screwing the pickups deeper into the body to alleviate a "pop" I was getting sometimes when slapping, and I think I nearly destroyed the head of one of the screws, without much effort.

1) What do they weigh?
[/quote]

With you bro...i shouldn't have read this :gas:

The Tort on green did it ;)

Edited by Rasta

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1392578363' post='2370301']
Thanks for the replies re weight and tone - it's getting harder to resist...
[/quote]

On your tone Q, I just tried mine through headphones with the tone rolled all the way back - less dubby than my P in the same position, in a good way. Decent note definition, much more clarity than said Precision. If you needed more thump you could dial it in on your amp.

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1392586253' post='2370435']
Thanks tyc, I don't like Precisions for reggae because they're not clear enough.
I need depth with clarity, which is probably why Jazz basses are most popular in this genre.
I can add bass with EQ and heavy flats will help too.
[/quote]

Better reach for the wallet then :P

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, had both, still have the HB and I love it, it's a bit on the heavy side but the tones and finish are brilliant. The JD is as everyone says and it's good but I prefer the thud and clarity of the HB but it's very subjective isn't it?

My 'like' might be your poison, I even bought the HB 50's too and I can't really fault that either.

ICONIC why did you bin your JD?

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1394306802' post='2390196']
Yes, had both, still have the HB and I love it, it's a bit on the heavy side but the tones and finish are brilliant. The JD is as everyone says and it's good but I prefer the thud and clarity of the HB but it's very subjective isn't it?

My 'like' might be your poison, I even bought the HB 50's too and I can't really fault that either.

[/quote]

Oh yes, now you remind us I remember! My memory is what it is.

How would you compare the HBs to the real Fenders in your sig. How much is someone who only has the HBs losing out compared to someone who has real Fenders?

[BTW: I'm not likely to buy a HB anytime soon - the cooker failing and a desire to live within my means has kiboshed my disposable income for a while. But I really like to hear about bargains]

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1394306802' post='2390196']

[/quote]

I couldn't put up with the slightly rough fret ends, I thought I would live with them, but couldn't in the end....that was the only reason, everything else was good for the money, as I find with most cheapies.

A good bass, but my Aria STB jazz is a better built bass for sure, as I said in my first post, but then the Aria is more expensive ;)

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1394384468' post='2390865']
I couldn't put up with the slightly rough fret ends, I thought I would live with them, but couldn't in the end....that was the only reason, everything else was good for the money, as I find with most cheapies.

A good bass, but my Aria STB jazz is a better built bass for sure, as I said in my first post, but then the Aria is more expensive ;)
[/quote]

Aria STB basses sometimes sell for peanuts on ebay. I've seen them in claimed excellent condition sell for £40. (Collection only in obscure location) A long time ago, someone said to me that the STBs are better built than Squier Affinity basses, but not as good as Squier CV or VM basses. Would you agree?

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1394384468' post='2390865']
[/quote]

but... that's fixable :(

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1394388820' post='2390917']
Aria STB basses sometimes sell for peanuts on ebay. I've seen them in claimed excellent condition sell for £40. (Collection only in obscure location) A long time ago, someone said to me that the STBs are better built than Squier Affinity basses, but not as good as Squier CV or VM basses. Would you agree?
[/quote]

i've had/have all of those bass's....affinity jazz....cvj, vmj and stb jazz. They are all good, nothing in them really bar the tame pups of the cvj and super hot pups of the STB and P neck.

The Affinity is quite light as they have a shallower body and the neck is a little more flexible but doesn't go out of tune.

my 'at work' bass is an affinity jazz and I Iike it a lot, got me back into jazz bass's but there are quite a few different flavors of affinity....chinese....korean....'play now' starter pack....and more probably.

Modern Aria's just don't seem to hold much love unless you have owned one, but having owned older Matsumoku bass's (3 of them now) I can say I don't get on with them so well and I can't see why they deserve the hype and prices, nothing wrong with them but not for me.

Edited by iconic

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1394411405' post='2391181']
but... that's fixable :(
[/quote]

yes but i didn't want to faff about with neck on a new bass....given the high end boutique pricing structure of the JD75 range ;)

Edited by iconic