Why become a member? ×

Flying V Bass - opinions?

OldGit

Anyone owned played or seen a Gibson / Epiphone flying V bass in the flesh ??

Do they neck dive and roll away from one's body as the T'birds do?
Any other points ? I've never played a Gibson bass that sounded nice to my ears, or "fitted", especially Thunderbirds ... but I have a very long held gas yearning for a Flying V ever since I saw Jim Lea in Slade playing one in the 1970s ....

Just wondered ..

I played an Epiphone a couple weeks ago, to be honest I wasn't really taking notes as I was blown away by the novelty of the whole experience, but it did have a bit of roll like the Tbird, but no noticeable neck dive - in fact the one I played was quite well balanced, and very light weight.

I liked the feel of it, but trying to play it sitting down is a big no, as you'd expect - the rubber grippy strip thing does absolutely nothing and is a token gesture. Due to it having two humbuckers, it's a quite meaty, classic passive sound which would sound great for old-school rock, but quite lost for anything modern unless you've got some serious preamplification. I'd say buy one, they look amazing, feel great, but the hard cases are absolutely HUGE! If not for anything else, just buy it for the novelty - after playing one with a natural finish and black pickguard, I had to try really hard not to part with cash, as I now believe my life isn't quite as complete as I had previously believed... go try one now!!

[quote name='Jase' post='231689' date='Jul 2 2008, 11:55 PM']Gibson? :huh: What is the world coming too :huh:[/quote]

Ha ha yah I know Gibson and Bass don't sit happily in the same sentance with us natural Fender players (ducks for cover) but you know what gas is like :)
Maybe they do Wizzard Thumpers to fit .....

[quote name='OldGit' post='231698' date='Jul 3 2008, 12:12 AM']Ha ha yah I know Gibson and Bass don't sit happily in the same sentance with us natural Fender players (ducks for cover) but you know what gas is like :huh:
Maybe they do Wizzard Thumpers to fit .....[/quote]

I know...GAS! I'VE HAD IT ALL DAY.....like you say does weird things. Been looking at acoustics today :)

[quote name='BigRedX' post='231746' date='Jul 3 2008, 07:44 AM']Surely Jimmy Lea's V-Bass would have been a John Birch copy, that would have had most of the Gibson issues sorted out?[/quote]

I can't find the youtube with the flying V now but I thought the one he was wearing for TOTP was a Gibson.
He was playing all sorts including EB3 types and Rippers so I guess the guy liked Gibsons (or was sponsored).
A John Birch would have been an option with the band's connection, I guess.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='231765' date='Jul 3 2008, 08:33 AM']At least one of the "EB3s" on the YouTube clips is a JB. I had a quick look at the 70s catalogue but the only Slade identified guitar in there is Dave Hill's "Super Yob".[/quote]

I'll pay more attention in future :)

I tried an Epi flying V bass but the conclusion was, although it was a huige amount of fun, i dont think you can possibly play one unless your whole band wears spandex/catsuits and has hugely permed/backcombed hair. On the subject of Gibson basses, I played a stunning les Paul bass the other day two Bart Humbuckers and it was huge sounding, really great bass plus Stu Zender uses them now over his old P bass and warwicks.

For sure - Jim Lea played a lot of J Bs , but I too have a recollection of a Gibbo flying V bass on TOTP. Or , at least , one that SAID Gibson.

Anyway - I have an Epi Explorer bass. It doesn't sit that well on a strap so I moved the button onto the back of the body. Big improvement amd no neck dive now. It actually sounds pretty good - big full tone. The problem is playing it. It would play fine if it wasn't for the stretch to the first couple of frets.

I would think most of that would be similar with a bass V - though the V would have further issues with playing sitting down - not that you're likely to want to use a V for that.

Gig bags are another consideration. Hard cases are just so huge. I have an explorer guitar gig bag with 2 walking socks covering the 3 " of headstock that stick out of the end!!

BTW - the EpiEx is here to do a specific job - ie. the ZZ trib. Although it's a bit of fun and didn't cost the earth I wouldn't keep it otherwise. I don't think it's worth getting something a bit mad and cumbersome unless it's going to get some work.

Edited by Dr.Dave

[quote name='nick' post='231833' date='Jul 3 2008, 10:50 AM']Youth's using one here with Killing Joke
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPWQfAv_qBQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPWQfAv_qBQ[/url]

Fancy one myself now![/quote]

How do you know? I just get a still pic of their album cover .... Good tune though.

[b]"i dont think you can possibly play one unless your whole band wears spandex/catsuits and has hugely permed/backcombed hair"[/b]

Yeah that was my plan ... :) a new dimention to our Barn Dances ...

We already play the odd T Rex number now and then so I guess that fits :huh:

Actually [i]this [/i]was more my inspiration

And AlbertKing .. more pipe 'n' slippers than pipe 'n' spandex ..

How to still look cool in your seventies

[url="http://www.slade4ever.de/html/pic/archive/Bravo%20Januar%201976%20b.jpg"]http://www.slade4ever.de/html/pic/archive/...%201976%20b.jpg[/url]

[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/totp2/features/wallpaper/images/1024/slade.jpg"]http://www.bbc.co.uk/totp2/features/wallpa.../1024/slade.jpg[/url]

Copied from Wiki

Basses

Lea used a cherry Gibson EB-3 from the late sixties until it was stolen in the mid seventies. It was refinished in white when Lea had it in to get some minor things done to it. It is unclear if this was Leas first bass but it is seen in Slades (probably) first TV-performance in 1969. From 1976 and onwards Leas main bass was a sunburst custom made John Birch bass. He also had an John Birch JB2 bass as backup bass on some tours. Other notable basses that Leas has or have had is a Jaydee bass (which, uncommon on bass guitars, has a tremolo arm), A pre-1981 Gibson Flying-V bass (which was used a lot in studio in the seventies). Lea has also been seen using a lot of different basses on mimed TV-performances, most notable Fender Precision Bass , Fender Jazz bass and a Rickenbacker type of bass. However it is unclear if Leas has owned any of them since Slade often used hired/borrowed instrument in mimed performances

Brilliant - everybody's opinion turned out to be right !!!!!!

The 3 times I saw him with Slade I'm sure he was using the Sunburst JB - early 80's.

And he used a custom Framus for the Slade movie 'Flame' , as did the rest of Slade , though maybe it was just a movie mock up.

He could have had my mates Precision. He tried to buy it from him when Alan's band , Vardis , supported Slade. Alan wouldn't sell and the P was nicked from his garage years later. Alan also had a few goes on the JB through Jim's huge rig during soundchecks on the tour but didn't rate it much. Maybe a bit of 'pride' going on.

Edited by Dr.Dave

[quote name='OldGit' post='231688' date='Jul 2 2008, 11:48 PM']Anyone owned played or seen a Gibson / Epiphone flying V bass in the flesh ??

Any other points ? I've never played a Gibson bass that sounded nice to my ears, or "fitted", especially Thunderbirds ... but I have a very long held gas yearning for a Flying V ever since I saw Jim Lea in Slade playing one in the 1970s ....

Just wondered ..[/quote]

Over at [url="http://bassoutpost.com/index.php"]The Last Outpost[/url], where most of the people who really like Gibson basses hang out, the prevailing opinion seems to be that the Gibson Flying V bass looks cool, but sounds crap. The Epi version is actually rated a bit higher.

I have a Gibson IV, which is a Flying V shape headstock on a mahogany neck and fenderish mahogany body, with TB pickups. It looks odd, plays well, sounds ok. The band don't like it much, but they don't really like anything except my P. I'd sell the IV but I'm waiting for the 80s to come back.

This what wikipedia says.

V Bass

In 1981, Gibson produced a four-string bass version of the Flying V. Only 375 were produced, most of them black but a few in alpine white, silverburst, or transparent blue. Dean Guitars and Epiphone also make V shaped basses.

Jim in action

[quote name='OldGit' post='231906' date='Jul 3 2008, 12:31 PM']How do you know? I just get a still pic of their album cover .... Good tune though.[/quote]

Apologies, wrong link! :blush:
Here's a V bass put to good use:
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJZz3eeiMbQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJZz3eeiMbQ[/url]

Looking forward to some of their 25th anniversary gigs in October :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='231688' date='Jul 2 2008, 11:48 PM']Anyone owned played or seen a Gibson / Epiphone flying V bass in the flesh ??

Just wondered ..[/quote]

I've got an Epiphone. Or rather, my son has, but since he never plays it ...

It doesn't suffer from any noticeable neck dive. It makes a good thumpy sound and works quite well with my all-valve Burman. It's a 32" scale so good for smaller hands.

It just fits in the big Tribal Planet gig bag.

Edited by pete.young