Why become a member? ×

Valve or SS Power Stage?

discreet

[b]Valve or SS Power Stage?[/b]

Had a quick search but couldn't find much... apologies as I'm sure this has probably been covered... :)

I've always imagined the power stage of an amp to be unimportant when it comes to the 'tone' part of the equation and always believed the pre-amp to be the main 'tone' generator.

Whether the power stage is driven by valves or solid-state circuits doesn't matter, right? It's just about providing enough beans to make your tone choice louder, isn't it?

Recently I acquired a valve pre and valve power amp. Just out of interest I tried plugging my VT Bass (analogue, but no valves involved) into the valve power amp and... it's astonishing. Lots of heft and bounce that you just don't get from an SS power amp.

Is there someone out there who can explain this? It seems to me that valve power makes a big difference, but there are others who would say it's not so. What is the truth?

Edited by discreet

Sag. When a valve amp is pushed hard at high volume, it draws lots of current, which the power circuit can't deliver quickly enough. This creates a small amount of compression at the start of the note, which then blossoms into the full note in a very pleasing manner.

For me, it's not the case that one is better than the other, more that each has strengths and weaknesses. I have one clean SS rig (well, I will when the cab arrives), and one all-valve rig.

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1390045703' post='2340802']
I have one clean SS rig and one all-valve rig.
[/quote]

Has anyone run both together at a gig for the hell of it? :D

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1390046366' post='2340816']
The Ag DB amps more than keep up with the big valve jobs, but the output stage is VERY weighty ...which is needs to be, IMO.
[/quote]

More than likely transformer weight, then - which would back up my completely unscientific and unproven theory that it is these which are responsible for heft, twang, beef, thump and 'the bounce'.

Guest bassman7755

I've had a theory for a long time that the output transformer on a valve amp is actually the bit that makes gives them the characteristic sound rather than the valves themselves.

There is IMO nothing about actual valves that cant be easily simulated by various other means but the output transformer is another matter - it decouples the speaker from the output circuit in a way that probably causes a lot of interesting and complex resonance effects.

When I last played guitar I used a mosfet power amp and used a 1 ohm resistor in series with the speaker to stop the amp damping the speaker so much and that gave me back some of the "heft" that is usually lacking with all solid state guitar setups especially when playing palm muted chords with distortion.

For bass though its not something I miss enough to want to carry around a 20+kg head.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1390047281' post='2340832']
More than likely transformer weight, then - which would back up my completely unscientific and unproven theory that it is these which are responsible for heft, twang, beef, thump and 'the bounce'.
[/quote]
I'd agree.... can't explain it but I can hear it.
It is also the amp that gets the most comments on sound.
It FILLS the room.... whereas some amps are just heard.
In this regard, it can be too loud...if that makes sense.... as what sounds great to me on stage is rocking the back walls.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1390053317' post='2340928']
I've had a theory for a long time that the output transformer on a valve amp is actually the bit that makes gives them the characteristic sound rather than the valves themselves.

There is IMO nothing about actual valves that cant be easily simulated by various other means but the output transformer is another matter - it decouples the speaker from the output circuit in a way that probably causes a lot of interesting and complex resonance effects.

When I last played guitar I used a mosfet power amp and used a 1 ohm resistor in series with the speaker to stop the amp damping the speaker so much and that gave me back some of the "heft" that is usually lacking with all solid state guitar setups especially when playing palm muted chords with distortion.

For bass though its not something I miss enough to want to carry around a 20+kg head.
[/quote]

That's very interesting. I'm quite prepared to haul a heavy head for the sake of 'the heft'... but I won't carry heavy cabs any more - that's all over. :)

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1390075835' post='2341252']
I'm not that impressed with the lightweight heads, the older heavier amps just sound and feel better to me.
[/quote]

I'm bound to agree now that I've [s]lumbered myself with[/s] invested in an old, heavy amp.
I owned a Markbass Little Mark for a while and used it with a VT Bass which sounded good - but it just didn't have the big bounce.
My Carvin B2000 is really great for a hybrid amp and it [i]does[/i] have heft - but not as much as my new (old) valve amp.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1390078854' post='2341304']

I'm bound to agree now that I've [s]lumbered myself with[/s] invested in an old, heavy amp.
I owned a Markbass Little Mark for a while and used it with a VT Bass which sounded good - but it just didn't have the big bounce.
My Carvin B2000 is really great for a hybrid amp and it [i]does[/i] have heft - but not as much as my new (old) valve amp.
[/quote]

Really glad you've posted your experiences with your Burman stuff. It's prompted me to try the same setup. Transaction ongoing as I type!

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1390219153' post='2342640']
Really glad you've posted your experiences with your Burman stuff. It's prompted me to try the same setup. Transaction ongoing as I type!
[/quote]

Er... nah, Burman kit sounds terrible and is totally unreliable. You'd be better off buying a nice Ampeg rig. ;)

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1390075835' post='2341252']
I'm not that impressed with the lightweight heads , the older heavier amps just sound and feel better to me .
[/quote]

Agreed, but it's the old thing about[i][b] weighs 10 times as much, doesn't sound 10 times better[/b][/i].

I love my Matamp and I use it at any gig where it's appropriate. Our NYE gig was not an appropriate venue for a 100W all-valve amp so I took the OTB500 instead.

Did it sound as good as the Matamp? No.

Did it sound good? Yes.

Did anyone else notice? No.

Am I glad that I have both? Yes.

Do I suffer from some sort of bi-polar disorder? Why would you think that ...