Why become a member? ×

God I Love Punk

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='988440' date='Oct 14 2010, 09:18 PM']+1

punk [b]should[/b] be an attitude, not a sound.

techno, d'n'b, dubstep etc. is more punk than that frat-rock crap i hear too much of these days.

it's about anyone being able to do it, not just record industry mo-fo's.[/quote]Spot on.

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='988440' date='Oct 14 2010, 09:18 PM']+1

punk [b]should[/b] be an attitude, not a sound.

techno, d'n'b, dubstep etc. is more punk than that frat-rock crap i hear too much of these days.

it's about anyone being able to do it, not just record industry mo-fo's.[/quote]

I think by 'frat rock' you mean 'pop-punk' I can't stand that either, I think a lot of people are judging punk today by this with out actually listening to anything else.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='988454' date='Oct 14 2010, 09:34 PM']I think by 'frat rock' you mean 'pop-punk' I can't stand that either, I think a lot of people are judging punk today by this with out actually listening to anything else.[/quote]
:) yeh, everyone uses their own terminology. you obviously gathered what i meant by that term.

i don't mind some pop stuff myself, but that is exactly that - i.e. pop with a punk influence.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='988386' date='Oct 14 2010, 08:22 PM']Are you talking about 'The Decline of Western Civilisation'?[/quote]

No. 'American Hardcore' was made more recently - 2006. Worth a watch if you can find it somewhere. There's a book called 'Our Band Could Be Your Life' which covers alot of similar ground (altho' in a bit of an overdone music journo' way). [url="http://www.youtube.com/user/OurBandCould#g/u"]This YouTube channel[/url] also gives examples of some of the bands.

After Hardcore, and during it, the US punk scene went in alot of different directions. Not everyone agreed with all the content being created - different people would say some stuff was more part of the scene than others. The Crossover and Straightedge scenes usually rubbed the most amount of people up the wrong way :) Both spiraled off into crapness over time too (mind you, Crossover was crap already IMHO :lol:...)

all these posts just go to show what a broad church punk has become, but for me, old enough to have been there when punk broke, it's the Ramones that do it for me, fast melodic songs stripped down to the bare essentials, after all they were the first true punk band, weren't they?.

[quote name='PaulWarning' post='989423' date='Oct 15 2010, 04:45 PM']all these posts just go to show what a broad church punk has become, but for me, old enough to have been there when punk broke, it's the Ramones that do it for me, fast melodic songs stripped down to the bare essentials, after all they were the first true punk band, weren't they?.[/quote]

Well noted for their socio political stance...... :)

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='988249' date='Oct 14 2010, 06:26 PM']anyone remember Refused ? (swedish post-punk stuff)

the singer and drummer have a new hardcore outfit called AC4

[url="http://www.myspace.com/ac4hc"]http://www.myspace.com/ac4hc[/url]

the drummer now plays bass. i'm off to see 'em tomorrow night in Peterborough. :)

then melt banana (japanese noise) at Nottingham rock city, followed by Coda (dubstep band) in Peterborough, both on Saturday.

viva la red-bull ! :)[/quote]
..just got back from AC4. - not the kind of swedish hardcore i usually watch.. :)

they were awesome, full of energy and thoroughly entertaining. i recommend.

i'm not used to going to gigs without sinking a few beers (driving), but i still had a dance.

no doubt i'll be able to watch my idiotic flailing on youtube in a week or two.. :D

tomorrow should be crazy too.. :lol:

Edited by phil.i.stein

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='989835' date='Oct 15 2010, 11:47 PM']..just got back from AC4. - not the kind of swedish hardcore i usually watch.. :lol:

they were awesome, full of energy and thoroughly entertaining. i recommend.

i'm not used to going to gigs without sinking a few beers (driving), but i still had a dance.

no doubt i'll be able to watch my idiotic flailing on youtube in a week or two.. :)

tomorrow should be crazy too.. :)[/quote]

Cheers for the nod on AC4 (loved refused) glad and jealous you had a good time.

Your Saturday looks great - an ear thrashing followed by head mug - enjoy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...