Why become a member? ×

is the yamaha trb 1006j a good six string?

herman

Hi all,
I've now got GAS for a 6 string!! I spoke to a chap in the local music shop and he said yamaha's do a good 6 string, although he mentioned that he has never tried one!! Any advice/reviews from any of you BC members please?

Thanks herman.

I had a TRB1005 Fretless, which was lovely in every way - beautifully finished & engineered and the equal of at least 90% of the proprietory models on themarket. My prob with it was the 35" scale was throwiing my 34" muscle memory intonation off just enough to make me have to concentrate on it rather than the music.

G.

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1388870920' post='2327271']
I had a TRB1005 Fretless, which was lovely in every way - beautifully finished & engineered and the equal of at least 90% of the proprietory models on themarket. My prob with it was the 35" scale was throwiing my 34" muscle memory intonation off just enough to make me have to concentrate on it rather than the music.

G.
[/quote]

I had one of these too. Built like a tank, lots of tonal options with the 3-band.

I'd imagine the 6-fretted is a great bass. John Patitucci certainly makes the premier versions sound good...

Edited by visog

Yamaha makes excellent products and they're built to last. It may be worth your while to see if there are any used TRB 6's near you. One thing that should be noted. The scale is 35" and neck is quite wide. If you're accustomed to an Ibanez-type spacing, you will need some transition time to get used to the instrument. I know it's not always possible, but if it's within your access, try one before buying.

As [u][url="http://basschat.co.uk/user/10193-visog/"][color="#282828"]visog[/color][/url][/u] posted, keep an eye out for the TRBPJ, the John Patitucci. A fantastic instrument if you can get your hands on it.

Edited by TolerancEJ

Really great basses for the money, I used to have a 4 and 5 string, and I've played 6 string versions. Not a lot to touch then at this price point imo, although as mentioned above, it depends how you get on with 35" scale. An Ibanez Soundgear would be worth checking out for a relatively inexpensive 34" 6er.

If it was me, I'd be tempted to take a punt on a BassMods K6.... Although I'd probably end up with another Sandberg! :D

The early JP models were 34" scale. If you can find one they are fabulous, and great value for money. Usually turn up for about a grand. A new one (35") are 3,000€ over here.

In fact, there was a MK1 on Ebay UK a couple of weeks ago with a spare fretless neck. Think it went for £1050.

Tremendous basses. See if you can find an early TRB6.

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1389042015' post='2329281']
it depends how you get on with 35" scale. An Ibanez Soundgear would be worth checking out for a relatively inexpensive 34" 6er.
[/quote]
This is great advice.

I love Yamaha's and aspired to a TRB 5 string...until I tried one. The Yamaha 35" scale length really didn't suit me at all, I actually found it extremely uncomfortable (strange because Lakland 35" basses really work for me!). I eventually settled on the Ibanez Sr1205 which has a 34" and feels divine.

I've got a very old TRB6P.

It's serial number puts it between 1986 and 1989, before then and after you could date the bass exactly, but for that period you can't for some reason :D . It's a late period one, so maybe 1989, the early ones only had one truss rod, mine has two.

It's a 34" scale, personally I don't have a problem going from 34" to 35", my Modulus is 35" my Mayones is 34", I can switch around no problem.

The main thing with the TRB6P is the string spacing, it's 19mm so multiplied across the neck you get a very wide neck, but it's quite shallow, and very comfortable. But you may struggle if you have very small hands, and maybe if you wear your bass very low.

The bass is sick sound wise though, truly amazing. It does have "a sound" though, and it possibly isn't suited to everything, but then again you probably wouldn't play one on a blues gig down the pub. I think jazz and fusion is it's forte, and maybe more progressive types of metal, I believe John Myung used one for a time.

You do read about people criticising the preamp, but they're not using it properly. You have to cut and boost, doing that you get a great sonic pallete.

I don't think Yamaha make a bad bass, they've been making them that long they know what they're doing.

Don't know what your budget is, but there's a really beautiful JP model on ebay

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111253046034?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111253046034?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649[/url]