Why become a member? ×

Where would you say MOST of your sound comes from?

Tait

Obviously it depends on a bit of everything, but what do you think the main contributer to your sound is? Bass? Amp? Technique?

Personally I'd say my basses are my main contributors, my Taitycaster and Soundgear sound completely different. I always keep my amp on the main settings and change the settings on my bass, although i do sometimse use my "deep" switch on my amp.

What about you?

[quote name='SteveK' post='229866' date='Jun 30 2008, 05:17 PM'][b]Fingers[/b][/quote]
you got there before me.
fingers, fingers, fingers, bass, fingers, fingers, amp, fingers,fingersfingersfingersfingersfingers
and the only other thing that matters.
FINGERS
oh and 1/2lb of funk

Edited by jakesbass

Fingers for me. I use a slightly unusual three-finger picking technique that I've only ever seen me and Percy Jones do (somebody else pointed out that I picked like Percy Jones - I'd never seen him play). Not that I sound anything like Percy Jones of course.

I do like mixing things up with effects, and I have a couple of good basses, but I think my right hand has more to do with "my" sound than anything else.

Edited by thisnameistaken

My heart says fingers but my head says that although they can alter the sound to some extent, they couldn't alter the sound as much as a pickup type/placement and the like, otherwise everyone would play the same bass.

I think the influence of fingers on sound is hugely overrated, yes it has an effect and some players have particularly distinctive technique, but for the most part you can group pretty much all fingerstyle players into a few subcategories within which any differences would be minimal and players would generally be indiscernible.

It kind of bugs me that since a few well known players have made a big deal or had a big deal made over their distinctive technique that every bassist and his son goes around telling people that his technique is special and unique. You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else.

There are of course elements that are important in the make up of all the equipment we use to amplify our hand movements, which is to my mind the most pertinent description of playing.
Take it back a stage and you're talking about your ideas, take it back another stage and you're talking why [i]those[/i] ideas, emotion, feeling, sexuality, drive, anger, laughter the list goes on. As a double bass player I [i]must[/i] impart all those elements when playing music as it is the most untrammelled version of me I can possibly muster, and the point of contact for me is my fingers in both hands.
For a while when I first signed up to basschat I had a personal statement, after a while I removed it as I felt it was a little pretentious but here I feel it's right to restate it:
"I try to never underestimate how much I am physically responsible for the sound I produce, on both double and electric"
I suppose in this thread I'm saying it goes even further than that, music to me is an essential, it's food and water and sunlight, I simply have to put everything into its performance that I am capable of, anything less and I'd rather give up and probably die. No fingers and I couldn't do it!

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='jakesbass' post='229973' date='Jun 30 2008, 07:51 PM']you said what I was trying to say but in a lot less words :huh:[/quote]

I know, sorrrrry :) .....I'm daft sometimes Jake, I realised after I hit the Add Reply button :huh: