Why become a member? ×

Do instruments behave differently in space?

MiltyG565

I've just had a thought, after seeing that clip of Chris Hadfield in space with his guitar - would a guitar play differently in a zero-gravity environment? Would notes sustain far longer? would the soundboard of an acoustic bass or guitar have a different resonance? Obviously we can only speculate here, but I would be very interested to know.

I'd say the main difference is that you wouldn't hear anything! Sound waves are longitudinal (unlike light waves, which are transverse) and need a medium like air or water in which to travel. As space is (more or less) a vacuum, the sound waves can't travel.

Edit: of course I'm talking about playing in space itself. If you're talking about playing in a space station or something where there is air, that's different. If that's the case, perhaps change the title, substituting 'space' for 'zero gravity' :-)

Edited by Roland Rock

I'm not sure it would react too differently in zero gravity but in the vacuum of space ( no air resistance etc) the string would wobble and resonate longer, although energy would still be transferred from the string to body and I guess minute amounts of friction at the nut and saddle would slowly disapate it in the end. You would get any sound out of it though...

Gravity has only marginal influence on instruments such as electric guitars and basses. Weight and mass are somewhat different; mass is not changed in weightless conditions. I don't think there'd be any noticeable difference, although I can't prove that today. Give me a week or so..? :mellow:

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1388204380' post='2319477']
I've just had a thought, after seeing that clip of Chris Hadfield in space with his guitar - would a guitar play differently in a zero-gravity environment?
[/quote]

Well you can simulate the effect of zero G by playing with the neck pointing vertically up (or down) as that would all but remove any gravitational influence on the string vibration.

[quote]
Would notes sustain far longer?
[/quote]

No (as you could easily demonstrate by the above experiment)

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1388233940' post='2319719']
Well you can simulate the effect of zero G by playing with the neck pointing vertically up (or down) as that would all but remove any gravitational influence on the string vibration.
[/quote]

Wouldn't it just change the way gravity effected the strings, not remove it ?

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1388234478' post='2319729']
Wouldn't it just change the way gravity effected the strings, not remove it ?
[/quote]
In theory, yes, but I'd bet the actual effect is almost impossible to measure and certainly inaudible (well, except for those people blessed with 'golden ears' :lol: ).

We can easily imagine a horizontally held string having its centre point pulled down by gravity and therefore exerting some small amount of tension. This would, presumably have some sort of damping effect and also affecting its pitch. Moving the string to a vertical orientation would remove this effect but do we really think that the sound of that string would be affected? I don't.

The last time I played in space, the acoustic did not work at all due to the lack of a gas medium to transmit the string vibrations through.
I plugged in the electric and it worked fine as the strings moved normally through the magnetic field around the coils. Had more sustain due to the lack of friction against the strings, as I recall...

[quote name='Johnm93' timestamp='1388423877' post='2321837']
The last time I played in space, the acoustic did not work at all due to the lack of a gas medium to transmit the string vibrations through.
I plugged in the electric and it worked fine as the strings moved normally through the magnetic field around the coils. Had more sustain due to the lack of friction against the strings, as I recall...
[/quote]

:D

That's a good point actually. Is it possible to amplify a sound in space? Of course, you still wouldn't hear it, but in theory, would it work? Would everything work the same except not being able to hear it? Could I play in space and throw a lead down to earth and play with a band (very badly out of time) that's on earth?

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1388425341' post='2321858']...Could I play in space and throw a lead down to earth and play with a band (very badly out of time) that's on earth?[/quote]

Good evening Milty...

Could you please check that you're not mixed up with your pills again..? The blue ones..? ...and if you're still eating those dried mushrooms, I'd stop now.

:lol: :P

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1388427550' post='2321885']
Good evening Milty...

Could you please check that you're not mixed up with your pills again..? The blue ones..? ...and if you're still eating those dried mushrooms, I'd stop now.

:lol: :P
[/quote]

Hello purple hippopotamus.

The dandelions are indeed grazing the ocean with the intention of growing eyes.

Yours;

Robotic tongue.