Why become a member? ×

I'd like a 7 string bass.

ambient

Antoniotsai - inlaidartist on That Ebay. Mind you, you need to look on ebay.com to see his stuff.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380793743372"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380793743372[/url]

for an example but I wouldn't pay $1000, I'd either wait for an auction or try an offer of $400-$500.

[quote name='Matte_black' timestamp='1387904140' post='2317106']
An used Conklin GT7BD is 1000 times better than those things. If you can live with the tight spacing it could certainly be a keeper.
[/quote]

Yeah, I was thinking Conklin, thanks :D .

[quote name='Dread Bass' timestamp='1387923184' post='2317347']
Talk to Alan at ACG. That's who built my 7 string.

I hadn't considered ACG, I didn't realise he made 7 and over strings, thanks :D .
[/quote]

[quote name='Matte_black' timestamp='1387925175' post='2317378']
I've made lots of ERBs but I thought you were in the market for something "readymade". The GT series is not a real Conklin, though... they're built in Korea.
[/quote]

No, ideally I'd like to have something made, I've emailed Fred at Bee basses. I'm just not able to commit to something like a Sei, I don't have the budget, or the patience :D .

I don't like Jon Letts he's recently let me down over something, and check his signature on here, he doesn't even spell luthiery properly :D

Drop me a link to your website please :D .

Anthony Olinger's Xylem basses are very Carl Thompson inspired, I'm after something a little more conservative in terms of body shape.

Edited by ambient

Well, there's also Robbie of Redeemer basses and a few others... the list is probably pretty long and from what I can see they're all gifted builders. Of course if you like the Bee Bass style you should go for it, expecially now the US dollar exchange rate is at the minimum. If you want to check my basses out just take a look here: www.prometeusguitars.com :)

[quote name='Matte_black' timestamp='1387904140' post='2317106']
An used Conklin GT7BD is 1000 times better than those things. If you can live with the tight spacing it could certainly be a keeper.
[/quote]

Having played both an Antoniotsai 7-string and a Conklin one, I'd disagree with you. I really didn't think much of the neck on the Conklin.

If this is your first time to own a 7 string, I'd recommend to buy a used Conklin, much easier to sell if 7 is not your world.
I had a Conklin GT7 for a couple of years and I have to say that was one of my best sounding bass. (owned many spectors, yamahas, ibanez etc.)

You can check how it sounds on the link below
Although I did not use its full range it this song, you can get the idea how it sounds. I used only a EBS compressor and a EBS microbass DI for the recording
https://soundcloud.com/bluevoodoo/minds-mirrors-counting-on-me

Also this Conklin was the bass where I could reach the lowest action, tapping was incredibly easy and the nect was stable.
I have no experience with other 7 string basses, but I do know Conklin GT7, hope my input helps.

[quote name='Paulhauser' timestamp='1388041732' post='2317995']
If this is your first time to own a 7 string, I'd recommend to buy a used Conklin, much easier to sell if 7 is not your world.
I had a Conklin GT7 for a couple of years and I have to say that was one of my best sounding bass. (owned many spectors, yamahas, ibanez etc.)

You can check how it sounds on the link below
Although I did not use its full range it this song, you can get the idea how it sounds. I used only a EBS compressor and a EBS microbass DI for the recording
[url="https://soundcloud.com/bluevoodoo/minds-mirrors-counting-on-me"]https://soundcloud.c...-counting-on-me[/url]

Also this Conklin was the bass where I could reach the lowest action, tapping was incredibly easy and the nect was stable.
I have no experience with other 7 string basses, but I do know Conklin GT7, hope my input helps.
[/quote]

Never tried Groove Tools, but regret selling my "proper" Conklin (Sidewinder) on here for far less than Ambient's budget. The sound, versatility and playability were awesome. If it had less than 7 strings I'd have never sold it...