Why become a member? ×

Hand/finger jealousy

Joeyfivebags

I look at all the great guitarists and bass players and can't help notice that the majority of them have huge hands and immensely long fingers.

As someone who is afflicted with small handitous and even worse short little fingerosis. I can't help but try and tell myself that maybe that's a reason I'm not a better player, nothing to do with my lack of rehearsing or laziness.

Anyone else suffer from this or is it just me?

I've only got relatively small hands with short stubby fingers, but it has never really bothered me. Funnily enough , it seems to bother Mrs Dingus more than me. More than once she has wistfully commented on how she wishes she had gotten herself a man with big hands, I don't really know why though.

I've been known as "Banana Hands" and "Sausage Fingers" hence the username. I think it helps with my "fat" sound, but I'm never going to be a fast widdler as my chunky fingers keep tripping over themselves. I would have thought that someone with long slender fingers would have more of an advantage, a la Jimi Hendrix.

Having said that, I'd have thought that practice makes perfect, regardless of hand size or shape....

[quote name='Joeyfivebags' timestamp='1387742877' post='2315169']
Anyone else suffer from this or is it just me?
[/quote]

Wooten has small hands and stubby fingers.

Esperanza Spalding has petite hands and plays the heck out of both electrics and uprights.

Stop making excuses and get practicing :D

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1387743493' post='2315174']
Django's long but damaged fingers:

I've known excellent players with short fingers and stubby hands generally, and average players with long fingers etc.

There's more to it than having a certain kind of physique.
[/quote]

Where have I seen this before... ?

http://youtu.be/vZDjWLwqAPY

I have small hands but I've never had a problem… in any way :)

But seriously it's no excuse! Pivot from your left hand thumb on your bass neck so jumping around on your neck isn't a problem, I see plenty of bass players jumping about when fretting and things are so much easier when you limit the travel in your left hand. You should never feel a real strain playing bass even if you have the smallest of hands, if you do then it's worth consulting a good teacher to assess your technique.

I think you just have to change your technique I had to change mine due to hand problems it is kind of like learning the instrument again if you have done it the same way for a long time but worth it in the long run I really do believe it is down to technique and practice and if you are blessed with natural raw talent (which I am not) that is a bonus :)

[size=4]I remember hearing Elton John say that he could never to the big chords due to his hand size, and had to adapt what he played accordingly. He seems to have done all right at it, and a[/size][size=4]s others have pointed out, there are some excellent small handed players out there, so it's not insurmountable, but you may have to adapt your style and technique to suit your hand size.[/size]

[size=4]As someone put it me regarding something completely different: "You have to play the hand you have, not the one you wish you had". A card playing reference, but it seems particularly apt in this case!![/size]

[size=4]At least as bassists we have the option of different scale lengths!![/size]