Why become a member? ×

Bass choice?????

bubinga5

Hey people.. after much deliberation i have got it down to one of two basses that i will shortly buy,, I have played neither!!! What would you guys choose?? Sadowsky MS5 or Lakland 55-02....If any one has any other basses i should consider, please tell..... :)

Edited by bubinga5

Unless you play them yourself, either is going to be a shot in the dark to a certain extent. I would recommend a day at the Gallery in London or something where you can play lots of basses and narrow it down. Its the only way to be sure!

ped

hi

having just bought a sadowsky metro UV70 from guitar guitar in glasgow i can tell you that they are excellent quality! i bought mine without playing it first but i knew how well made they are! seriously you can set them up how you like the fit and finish, fret work etc is awesome so you shouldn't have any worries!

the pre in the sadowskys is nice too! especially if you get the vintage tone control option like mine! it allows you to use the bass and treble of the active pre together with a passive tone roll off just like a passive jazz so you can still get all those lovely passive sounds too! :)

ive had a lot of basses over the years (2 stingrays, warwick thumb,streamer stage 1 and 2,corvette FNA 4 and 5 string, bravewood jazz, modulus flea, 3 fender usa jazz and 1 precision, a geddy lee signiture etc) and for me this sadowsky is the best of them all! they are very clear and articulate basses and can do pretty much whatever sound you want!

but hey thats just me..........lol

i'd try one if i were you! :huh:

good luck

:huh:

I seriosly doubt you'll be dissappointed either way! For me I love Laklands and love jazz basses, so it'd be tough for me to decide between the two. As has been said before you'd have to do a side-by-side to really make your mind up...

There's one issue that could swing you one way or the other before you try either bass. The Sadowsky has a 34" scale, the Lakland is a 35". That point alone can could eliminate either bass, depending on what you prefer.

I think what the guys above said is correct, though. With basses like this (and the money required to purchase them), you really should try them out first.

That being said, I'm a big fan of Sadowsky basses (I own two), so I'll say Sadowsky.

[quote name='bassaussie' post='229202' date='Jun 29 2008, 07:32 PM']The Sadowsky has a 34" scale, the Lakland is a 35". That point alone can could eliminate either bass, depending on what you prefer.[/quote]

I was so close to ordering a Lakland from America, but in the end I decided agains't it based on it being 35". I did get to play it at GAK in Brighton. It's very versatile.

They're both great choices! Either way you're going to end up with a cracking instrument.

Best way is to get to a shop and try them out. You'll know instantly when you play them.

I don't know how well Cheltenham is set for bass shops. It's far from ideal even in London, but the Bass Gallery in Camden will likely have both brands in for you to try out.