Why become a member? ×

Blockheads with no Norman tonight

yepmop

Guest canonman

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1387563433' post='2313481']
Exactly. Not the Blockheads. I saw Skip Bifferty for example on the college circuit long before two of them became Blockheads etc etc.

I'm sure that there's numerous examples of them all playing in other bands other than the Blockheads.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asA5mPZDCW8[/media]
[/quote]

That's the first time I've heard the original version of that song. Bloody good it is too.

I wonder who played bass on it?

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1387538856' post='2313050']
No Norm, that would be a real shame.
Glad nothing has happened to him tho as we are supposed to be supporting Wilko in a few weeks time and looking forward to seeing NWR kicking out the licks. (selfish I know)
[/quote]
Don't let him use your amp though he he

[quote name='canonman' timestamp='1387567654' post='2313552']
I wonder who played bass on it?
[/quote]

[size=4]Paul Westwood (he was a UK session player at the time) was on the album, so most likely him,[/size]
[size=4]But.......Kuma Harada also did a track or two, so possibly him - so to answer your question...I don't really know. :D[/size]

[size=4]And as you probably already know, it was Louis Johnson on the Quincy Jones version.[/size]
[size=4]A great well written tune, and both versions excellent in their own way.[/size]

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='E sharp' timestamp='1387567860' post='2313554']
Don't let him use your amp though he he
[/quote]

Not the first time I have heard that! lol
Been told we can use the back-line, not sure still if I'll take my own gear or not.. Norm seems to be Ashdown theses days and not TE anymore, would that be right?

Great night with The Blockheads, NWR was on form and same with the band, sound was great.
I can confirm that he was playing an Ampeg SVT through an Ashdown 2x15 and 2x10 tonight. Good sound out of it.
Am very happy with my first experience of the Blockheads.

Edited by StephenYork

Glad you had a good first time with the Blockheads. The gig in Portsmouth was disapointing. It was a bit like watching a really good covers band - good in its own right - but lacking something. The sound quality at the venue didn't help with the overall enjoyment. I did enjoy it but it was partly nostalgia that won through.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1387545635' post='2313188']
As it's Christmas, anyone know of any Ian Dury & Blockheads or AWB tribute acts. I feel like arranging an interesting gig :D
[/quote]

Go and find Hamish.... he lives near your old stomping ground...

Guest canonman

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1387570204' post='2313582']
Paul Westwood (he was a UK session player at the time) was on the album, so most likely him,
But.......Kuma Harada also did a track or two, so possibly him - so to answer your question...I don't really know. :D

And as you probably already know, it was Louis Johnson on the Quincy Jones version.
A great well written tune, and both versions excellent in their own way.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info :)

I'll own up, I didn't know any of that. In my defense, it's not my usual cuppa tea....

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1387572917' post='2313612']
Not the first time I have heard that! lol
Been told we can use the back-line, not sure still if I'll take my own gear or not.. Norm seems to be Ashdown theses days and not TE anymore, would that be right?
[/quote]

I read in another thread here that NWR never lets anyone use his rig.