Why become a member? ×

fitting a second hand neck,help please

clashcityrocker

Hi all,got a replacement jazz neck for my CV jazz. Beautiful thing,just abit concerned how to fit it properly. The 4 mounting holes are in a very slightly different orientation to the squier neck meaning as I tighten them it moves the neck sideways,leaving a big gap between body and neck. I can't 're drill the neck as the difference is only small,also can't seem to get the neck heel totally flat to the body. I don't wanna keep trying just incase I strip the thread
Thanks for any help!

The last time I encountered this, I bought some dowel from B&Q, drilled the existing screw holes wider to accommodate the dowel and glued them in with wood glue. When the glue had set, I cut the dowel level with the back of the neck and used sandpaper to smooth it out. Finally, I fitted the neck and then marked/drilled new holes.

Sorted! ;)

[quote name='clashcityrocker' timestamp='1386698491' post='2303262']
Brilliant thanks for the reply. Do I drill it out much bigger than the existing holes? I guess the size of the dowel available
Cheers
Edited just saw the above post,thanks
[/quote]

When you buy dowels, buy a drill bit to match the dowel diameter. :)

In my experience, the dowels should be a close fit; close enough that they won't fall out if you put them in "dry" (without glue) and shake the neck.

When you glue them in, allow enough time for the glue to set. Do not be tempted to work on them until they are properly set.

Edited by alyctes

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1386731842' post='2303842']

Or fit a metal insert kit.
[/quote]

+1

A good modification too, if you want more sustain. Never tried them myself but looks easy enough to fit.

[url="http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/shop/neck-fixing-kit/"]http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/shop/neck-fixing-kit/[/url]

If you get the right drill you might not even need glue. No harm In it though. I can confirm dowels are a cheap easy and effective solution . Just be sure to cut them off level (chisel) and sand it smooth if it isn't already smooth to the touch

Put a piece of masking tape round the drill at the correct depth to avoid going too far through the neck.

Edited by Geek99