Why become a member? ×

Barefaced cabs

TRBboy

Well... back to the topic!

This is my experience. i had a Midget T and the cab was great sounding, defined, small, light and loud but i found myself lacking a bit of low-end. It had a good low-mid but it lacked a bit of kick. I ended up upgrading it to a Super12T and now i have that bottom punch i was lacking and even more volume on tap if i ever need. It's still light, clear and easy to transport.

If the OP wants to retain a good bottom end upgrading to a BF cab i would sugest that a Big Twin 2 should also be considered. You can take advantage of Barefaced return policy and if the BB2 doesn't pump enough lows then the BT2 should be next in line for a trial (not a compact) IMO.

I never heard or tried a BB or a BB2 so i can't comment on their sound and/or low-end response.

Cheers

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1387205004' post='2309289']
Could you stop going on and on and on and on about the aesthetics of our cabs until you've seen one of the generation three examples then? ;)
[/quote]

I was being quite open and honest, that's all. I've also been polite about it. I've seen a few pictures of the Gen 3 cabs, but I realise this isn't the best way to see it.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1387204402' post='2309274']
I'll hear nothing against the humble Bedford Rascal... A fine conveyance. And fits a single bed mattress in the back almost perfectly... (drifts off remembering his youth through rose tinted puffy clouds....)
[/quote]
So, you were a rascal in a Rascal in your youth? ;-)

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1387231493' post='2309762']
After trying some Bergantino and Vanderkley cabs at the weekend, I'm doubtful that any 1x12" cabs could deliver the solid low end that I'm after. Just wish there was somewhere I could try a BB2! :(
[/quote]

if you're near hungary you are welcome to come and try mine :D

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1387231493' post='2309762']
After trying some Bergantino and Vanderkley cabs at the weekend, I'm doubtful that any 1x12" cabs could deliver the solid low end that I'm after. Just wish there was somewhere I could try a BB2! :(
[/quote]

I'm sure the BB2 could get you more full and open low end, with it having a woofer dealing specifically with the lows.

The TKS 12/6 is one of the designs that has the 12 handling the low end, with the 6 handling the mids upwards, (that is my basic understanding anyway). The low end on the 12/6 is just incredible...although you probably need to use a 5 string to appreciate it.

The Berg HT112ER would have been good for you.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1387282553' post='2310129']
I'm sure the BB2 could get you more full and open low end, with it having a woofer dealing specifically with the lows.

The TKS 12/6 is one of the designs that has the 12 handling the low end, with the 6 handling the mids upwards, (that is my basic understanding anyway). The low end on the 12/6 is just incredible...although you probably need to use a 5 string to appreciate it.

The Berg HT112ER would have been good for you.
[/quote]

Naaa, if we're talking about low end on a single 1x12" cab then i think that the discussion should end with the Aguilar DB112, IMO ;)

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1387293993' post='2310367']
Naaa, if we're talking about low end on a single 1x12" cab then i think that the discussion should end with the Aguilar DB112, IMO ;)
[/quote][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Ok, let me clarify this now that i have a bit more time before somebody makes a wrong assumption:[/font][/size]
[color=#444444][font=Calibri, sans-serif][size=4]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]From a big lot of 1x12" (2-way designs only) cabs i had the chance to own/try (Aguilar, Eden, EBS, Fender, Genz Benz, Barefaced, Markbass, Bergantino, and some more i can't remember now) i never heard a low-end so deep as in the DB112 (the Eden got very close).[/font][/size][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Of course this doesn't mean that that cab was the best of them all, quite the opposite actually, that's why i sold it. It had a huge mid scoop, i found myself not hearing my bass on stage, only feeling it. The shape and weight of that cab was also a big factor that made me sell it. Not easy to grab, heavy as hell and odd to place on stage.[/font][/size][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The DB112 is a great cab to have at home or maybe even for recording, great sound on it's own but in a band mix it gets completely lost IMO and IME, doesn't cut through. (The Eden cut a bit better but it was also a bit too scooped for my taste)[/font][/size][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]My reply to MM20 was based solely on low-end extention.[/font][/size][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Cheers[/font][/size][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1387300232' post='2310461']
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Ok, let me clarify this now that i have a bit more time before somebody makes a wrong assumption:[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]From a big lot of 1x12" (2-way designs only) cabs i had the chance to own/try (Aguilar, Eden, EBS, Fender, Genz Benz, Barefaced, Markbass, Bergantino, and some more i can't remember now) i never heard a low-end so deep as in the DB112 (the Eden got very close).[/font][/size][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Of course this doesn't mean that that cab was the best of them all, quite the opposite actually, that's why i sold it. It had a huge mid scoop, i found myself not hearing my bass on stage, only feeling it. The shape and weight of that cab was also a big factor that made me sell it. Not easy to grab, heavy as hell and odd to place on stage.[/font][/size][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The DB112 is a great cab to have at home or maybe even for recording, great sound on it's own but in a band mix it gets completely lost IMO and IME, doesn't cut through. (The Eden cut a bit better but it was also a bit too scooped for my taste)[/font][/size][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]My reply to MM20 was based solely on low-end extention.[/font][/size][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Cheers[/font][/size][/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

The DB112?! They are one of the most thick in the mids cabs I've heard....they really kick in the mids and project. The GS112 have the huge low end and mid hole.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1387280180' post='2310094']
That surprises me.

Did you try 2, or any of the 212 cabs?
[/quote]

I'd say the low end of 2x GS112's ( for example ) is pretty exceptional... if that is what you want.
I don't use them as this cab bias limits the sound elsewhere.IMO.
The DB112 is a better balanced cab, IMO....but you'll need 2 Same speaker, different tune and end goals
but there is a limit to what one chassis can do.