Why become a member? ×

Barefaced cabs

TRBboy

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1386675728' post='2302867']
I can definitely feel the bass from my Super 12T [2x12" in the one box]
[/quote]

I like the sound of that! I've just bought Shockwave's used in the Marketplace and am looking forward to give it an airing :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1386680276' post='2302966']
Not "dubby" unless you EQ them so . They just sound great, full range and very loud. The tweeter is allegedly of value to those who (foolishly) slap their basses. I have never been guilty of such violence so I can't say as I've missed it.
[/quote]

I didn't think the Compacts had a tweeter?

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1386620640' post='2302341']
Hey guys,

So another option for downsizing my rig is to go for a Barefaced cab (either a Big Baby 2 if buying new, or possibly a used compact) with something like a GB Streamliner on top. It seems like this could be a great solution, and from what Alex had told me, a BB2 and decent head will create enough bottom end and volume for me (mainly pubs and clubs, occasionally a theatre/barn/large Hall/festival).

I'm just curious to know what people's experiences are of this type of setup, whether these little cabs can really cut it, and if I'm lucky maybe someone near hereford had one I could try out?!

Thanks for all of your help folks! :D
[/quote]

A single BF cab can handle almost any realistic gigging situation volume wise, OK you might struggle with say just a midget in a really loud band but other than that the cab isnt going to be the limiting factor.

Did a little thing about my experiences with some BF bits a couple of months ago. Some people have found it helpful.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/219758-super-midget-1-intense-first-week/page__p__2245828__hl__first%20week__fromsearch__1#entry2245828"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/219758-super-midget-1-intense-first-week/page__p__2245828__hl__first%20week__fromsearch__1#entry2245828[/url]

The Compact (I have gen 1/2) is a good cab. It's got plenty of mid range bite for plectrum work and pumpy fingerstyle stuff, but it doesn't have much going on in the top end if you like a sizzly sound.

Thanks very much guys, all very useful info! It's so difficult trying to decide what to do, especially as I would have to buy a head too. It could be an expensive experiment! I do love the idea of having one small cab that gives a monster sound though. I do just worry that wouldn't be able to get the same full, powerful, ballsy sound that I'm used to. The majority of my gigs are pub gigs though, and Alex reckons that a BB2 should easily step up and possibly sound even better.

Thanks again people! :D

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1386718991' post='2303788']
I do just worry that wouldn't be able to get the same full, powerful, ballsy sound that I'm used to.
[/quote]

15 years ago I used a peavey 4x10 + 1x15 stack. Today I can get the same power/depth/grunt/whatever from one 15/12 inch speaker in a small light cab, its called progress B)

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1386777291' post='2304391']
15 years ago I used a peavey 4x10 + 1x15 stack. Today I can get the same power/depth/grunt/whatever from one 15/12 inch speaker in a small light cab, its called progress B)
[/quote]

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1386777291' post='2304391']
[/quote]

Nah, I don't believe you....

I found it hard to believe too, I have been using 610 and 412 cabs for the past few years, now I'm more than happy with my new 212, I haven't lost anything other than weight.
In fact I can hear myself better than with any of the other cabs I've had in the past and the sound is even more present anywhere in the room...this is not just me talking, band mates and friends in the audience have all comment on it.

Edited by PauBass

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1386676570' post='2302882']
Nothing sounds like an 810. If that's what you need then that's good.

For all it's great tone, the Ampeg 810 is the least heard (by audiences) cab. Every band I've seen using one has been Di'ed through the PA so the audience never hears the cab.
[/quote]

Which is why it is THE stage monitor system benchmark...IMO.

Wow, some passionate discussion about Barefaced cabs going on today!

Just out of interest, had anyone on here hat chance to a/b a generation 3 Barefaced cab a comparable high end cab like Bergantino, Vanderkley, etc? I'd be very interested to know what the results were.

[quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1386875897' post='2305884']
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/221992-barefaced-bf-big-baby-2-review-bergantino-ip112er-and-acme-b1-content-also/page__p__2277694__hl__barefaced%20review__fromsearch__1#entry2277694
[/quote]

Thanks man, very interesting!

I'm still struggling to decide what to do. It's great that Alex offers the months trial, but it would just be great to be able to go somewhere and try them out alongside other great cabs. It would be much easier to take a trip to Bass Direct and try a load of stuff and just come away with whatever I like best......

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1386877995' post='2305933']

Yes, and it's all your fault! :lol:
[/quote]

:D

I think the other couple of threads would have happened regardless! As I believe the contemporary urban colloquialism goes: haters gon' hate!

I don't think I've seen any negative comments from anyone who's owned/spent time with a Barefaced cab though, no one who has given one a thorough tryout and really disliked it? It would also be interesting to hear how people who have tried both the older versions and the latest stuff feel about the differences.

Just got a 3rd Gen BB2....here are initial thoughts....
It has at least the same 'air' in the sound as the Markbass 15 I nearly bought 6/7 years ago and more punch/poke than the Markbass 12 I walked away (and have been totally happy) with.
It has a big bottom that sits beautifully in the mix w/out need for lots of volume.
Honest sounding - you get what you put in.
Best bit so far is the transient response. Things I thought I just couldn't quite execute, or had previously sounded a tiny bit mushy were suddenly flying out of the speaker exactly as intended with fabulous clarity!
Only had the pedal board through it while practicing - but it really allows fx to 'sound' with great clarity.
You should definitely try one out.
I've 'sold' a good few Markbass bits and pieces over the past 5 years - will be interesting to see if the same happens with Barefaced cabs!

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1386680022' post='2302960']
The used Compacts about do look like great value, but do they give enough definition and top end response, or are they inherently quite bassy and "dubby"?
[/quote]

I have an epifani 310UL (3x10 obviously) and when A/B it with a compact I couldn't hear any difference in the top end response (tweeter on UL dissabled).

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1386681092' post='2302983']
Correct ... erm ... that was my point! You don't miss a tweeter unless you slap. :D
[/quote]

Not sure about that.... Anything high up the fretboard gets lost...like slides and trills
so you need a cab with more than 2k