Why become a member? ×

DB you just know what it stands for....

JTUK

My A rig is a DB750 and DB212 and DB210 cabs and it doesn't go out on every gig due to it being
too heavy (and too loud) and therefore you need easy access, but when you have a decent stage and
load-in, then DB stands for the DOG'S BOLLOCKS .

I generally aim to run an active bass through it but have also gone passive more of late.
I don't need an EQ stage, as the sound is just THERE...
This is quite like the big SVT and Mesa Blocks but I think it is a better bet than both..certainly for me.

I would say the Aguilar DB is a modern update on the trad Ampeg Vintage vibe..and they do it better, IMO.

I've posted this as I loved the sound I had from it last night....but I've not ever gotten anything less than a great
at anytime....

To me, that is the defintion of a very good amp....

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1386928708' post='2306446'] I'd love to try a db750/db410 rig... [/quote]

I do this with a 750 and 2xDB210's....and the DB212 is a better match for me...and I didn't think I would ever say that...
But... since the 750 goes to 2ohms..I can actually run all 3 cabs together.... ho hum...!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1386899139' post='2306297'] DB751 through a pair of GS410's is possibly the best live bass sound I've ever heard :) [/quote]

My comment should have been directed at 2xGS112's....which I ran for a yr or so...but not with the 750.

I just had a quick blast through my ( new to me ) DB112 at home and yeah, wow just about sums it up. I can tell after ten minutes that it's the best cab I've ever had ......and there's been a few !
I'm now looking forward to gettiing it's twin hehe.

It was always the plan to get two tbh but funds won't quite allow just yet.......I'm placing a deposit on the second cab tomorrow though so if things go to plan it'll be here between xmas and new year, failing that the first week in January.
I had a evening with the cab last night and ended up with the tweeter rolled of by 75% ish. Treble slighty cut on the bass and to me, my ThumbNT has never sounded as good.
I think that up to now and albeit just using it at home this is the best money I've spent on gear in the last 5 years. I suppose come gig time I'll know for sure.............
Fingers crossed then.
B)

If your 2xDB112's sound like my DB212, then you should get a nice tight but full bottom end ( great for 5st ) but enough mid bite to make your bass shine through.
I wouldn't call them the most technical cabs, but they just work. Sometimes, why over complicate it...???

Aguilar have well and truly stolen Ampegs clothes,... whether that was by design or not, I don't know but vintage modern is where they sit, IMO

I also think a Jazz and Aguilar will become a classic combination just like jazz and SWR were.
Thankfully, Aguilar still seem a small U.S based company despite their growing global presence. I hope that situation remains

• 2 weeks later...

It isn't an out and out tone monster in terms of the EQ stage ..but neither does it need it.
No ridiculous mini graphics required...
I think the dials are very subtle... - you get no harsh extremes. I've only every tried them between 10-2
and that was more to have a play...
-but then I am very confident that my bass sound will come through.
Now... I turn it on and turn up the bass..set the level and we are good.

I would say it is subtle but an educated sound ..and by that I mean it is the bass you are hearing
but with a FULL wallop of the power stage.
The valve pre is airey enough, and power stage has real heft.

The only other amps I've used ( not owned ) that had this were the Boogie 400 series and the SVT
and whilst they too, are plug and play and you are more than happy... the DB has a far more modern sympathetic
sound.
I am quite happy to accept this is because the DB is a more modern design and because this is the sound Aguilar were going for
I also think they now have that ground covered over Ampeg and Boogie with BIG amps.

The DB is around 60 plus lbs IMO... so not light.

Molan has a better take on the 751 in comparison to the 750.... and when I've played through them, ...Not A/B..
it sounded pretty similar to me.

You'll get 60-70's vintage thru to Geddy Lee very easily...should you be looking for a quick sound reference and if your bass doesn't fight that.

I know what you mean JTUK!
For the past 4 years Aguilar DB amps have been my amps, first a DB751 and now a DB750...I just love their tone and the weight/power they project on each note you play.
As Molan has said, switch it on, wait for the blue light to stop blinking and off you go, excellent tone straight away.

At the same time as Aguilar I have owned other amps, Ampeg, Hartke, EBS, Fender...none of them have stayed, it's always been the Aguilar.

Edited by PauBass