Why become a member? ×

confused, new or 2nd hand

Dennis1971

Driving myself mad, looking at basses in the 2nd hand section.

I have a budget of about £500 and started looking at first in my local shop, limited in choice since it's mostly Fender/Squier. Didn't like the laquered necks on some of the squiers (classic and VM). Did like the Fender PBass American special but at £845 out of the budget. So maybe I should be looking 2nd hand, main problem and don't have experience with 80% of the makes/models so need some advice.

I have had:

Fender Jazz MIM (around 2000) - liked neck and playability but sound wise a bit bland
Yamaha BB5 - played easy, didn't like 5 string did sound crisp but a bit clinical

So my shopping list at the moment says, classic styled, 4 string, passive bass.
Sound: I grew up with G'n R, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Live and now like about anything out there from Modern Country, Rock, Indie etc. But overall more classic bass sound
Playing style: I am a finger style, no plectrum, no slappig kind a guy.
Amp: The bass will be played through a Genz Benz contour 210

Any advice which basses to look out for that I might not consider.....

Thanks

Dennis

Don't know what you think of warwick but this is a nice one but not sure do you like the neck profile etc. This one is made in Germany.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/222785-warwick-steamer-pro-m-5-back-up-for-grabs/"]http://basschat.co.u...k-up-for-grabs/[/url]

Edited by badboy1984

I seem to be coming to the same conclusion, and I did like the precision I played in the shop last week but cannot stretch to the money for an american special. I would also feel obliged to stretch to he american standard if I am spending that much. Which I won't... damn that is confusion even when I read it.

I did lke the suggestion of the Lakland but haven't seen one for the right money. Been toying with the idea of buying a Precision MIM or Squier CV NEW but feel that second hand would give me more umph for the money.

I also saw a Pbass highway one 2nd hand for sale, what is the opinion on those?

I wil have search for the made in japen precision... I like the one you linked to badboy1984

G&L is good. The one you looking at is the Tribute series. Uses the same electronic that the made in US model uses. I use to own a Tribute 5 string but kinda regret of selling it, is a nice bass.

I actually play the jazz model in the shop and it sounded really good.

Those pickups on the G&L is very powerful!

Just a bit hesitant about buying online without ever having played one, same goes for the 2nd hand market. Too busy family life to go out to a larger shop so I will take a gamble one way or another and just buy one. (My local shop is vintage & modern in Thame) Is mostly Fender.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1386345388' post='2299100']
The accepted wisdom on this forum is that you can't go wrong with a Yamaha bass, but I should point out I've never played one. :)
[/quote]

I've had all sorts of Yamaha stuff - basses, guitars (acoustic & electric) PA gear etc.

None of it has been disappointing.

[quote name='Dennis1971' timestamp='1386346805' post='2299126']
yep, hey are good but I found the BB5 I had a bit too clinical. I never connected with, might have been the fact it was a five string. Prefer a passive bass also, enough knobs on the amp to mess with the tone I don't need more on the bass. :-)
[/quote]

If you're ever in the Midlands you're welcome to come & feel my 1024 up. Play it through a Contour 2-10 too if you like.

There was a MIA P in the classifieds recently for about £650 - seen a few around that mark.

I'd personally save a bit of extra and go for one of those - going on your description, it would fit the bill perfectly, and if that's what you're after, doesn't get much better.

Otherwise you run the risk of not getting it quite right, and having to sell what you just bought.....I think everyone's been there! :blush:[size=4] [/size]

Let the train take the strain away....Take a trip to Denmark Street in London. There's a good parade of music shops there and they're open to you trying stuff out.

The prices aren't stupid and they'll have stuff you may not otherwise think of. Naturally there's Fenders all over the place But they have some good stuff too :secret: