Why become a member? ×

Rockinbetter - heads up on small issues

BassTractor

As indicated in the title, these are small issues, so this is just a heads up for people who might like to order one, so they can be aware some work might be needed before takin it to a gig.
I'm fully satisfied with the thing now these issues are resolved, so by no means want to warn people against them.

OK, so I proudly took home my new RG-4003 last thursday, only to find:
- Open E rattles heavily in the nut to the point where I believe it will start rattling on the first fret too (the part between tuner and nut moving so wildly that it gives the tone part of the string the leeway to move more freely up and down too).
- PU switch only works in neck PU position.
- PU switch very, very noisy - probably related to the above.
- No or hardly any effect from Tone knob or knobs (actually didn't scientifically test this as I got red in my face before getting there, and only wished to return it as quickly as possible while I still had a car on loan).
- Knobs moving beyong their designated MIN and MAX points.
- Jack socket with bad contact.

Me, I thought this was a bit much, and I took it back to the shop rather than opening it myself right away. Shop keeper invited me into the workshop and opened it right away, only to find that an electric lead had worked its way into the switch's parts (the switchblades I presume ;) ), and the same or another lead (the ground lead at any rate) was not attached to its designated Tone pot.
Some careful bending here and some soldering there, and Roberto became my mother's brother.

At any rate: this did not happen during transport. That lead had been inside that switch all the time. IOW this is about lacking QC - and certainly not necessary at that price point. I know Yamaha do a good job for one third of the price (at least in Norwegian prices).

Anyway, I'm satisfied with this thing, and have fun playing that weird but iconic shape - the shape of my youth.

Kudos to Gitarhuset (a shop only people in Norway can order from) for fixing this right away, and for not giving me any stress even though other customers had to wait longer due to it).

I bought a Rockinbetter the other week, and it's absolutely fine with no issues at all... apart from a dead spot on the 2nd string (D in traditional tuning) around the 10th fret.

Can't believe how good these things are, I had to sell my 4003 last year due to the economic climate etc, replaced it with a Fender MP Jazz (MIC), which frankly just didn't cut the mustard after the 4003. Even though I've had Jazz basses & Jazz inspired basses (with Jazz style necks) over the many years I've been dabbling, I couldn't get used to the neck after the Ric. Got the Rockinbetter, and felt right at home again.

I've had some brand new, big name guitars, straight out of the box, that have had not only bad setups, but dodgy electrics. Remember having to take one guitar to bits to sort it out properly, before taking it back & trading it in for something else that worked.

The reason they're so expensive, is so that owners of real Ric's get to gloat over those of us poor souls that can't afford them.

I had a real Ric, I [b]had[/b] to sell it, the Rockinbetter's the next best thing in the absence of an official Rickenbacker budget line along the Epiphone/Squier model.

Get off your high horse and smell some reality.

The reality is these are poor copies, yet they sell for a vastly inflated price over other copies as they are a copy of a sought after instrument (debatable)
I have seen them at circa £500, if they were not a copy, they would be £150 instuments, they certainly have the build quality.
Just My opinion, but I would rather have a nice genuine fender badged precision at that money than a poor copy of a Rick,
Your still the bloke with the copy on stage and that is not worth £500 of anyones cash.
As for the price of Ricks, well they are a bespoke minor scale manufactuer of a quirky instrument and the market is purely supply and demand.
same with anything, I own far more other basses than Ricks including 5 Fenders, but I have never been a copy happy owner.
Bit like having a fake porsche .
At the price they shift these copies for they should at least take time to make sure they play out of the box.

The argument on Budget line, why should they, they have a 30 month waiting list, they are in proffit and they enjoy what they do.

If you'd tried one, you wouldn't be saying any of that.

I owned a 4003 for 6-7 years. I now own a Rickenfaker which, IMO, is certainly a far, far better instrument than you claim it is. It certainly doesn't feel like a £150 instrument or a £300 instrument for that matter, it feels far better than that.

Yes, there are a few "chancers" out there that ask a far higher price for the instruments that they're trying to sell, but that always has happened, and always will happen when you have a quality instrument, regardless of the fact that may be emulating another.

I had a Gibson Les Paul for a while, but sold it because the Tokai Love Rock I bought as a "spare" was simply a better instrument by far, even though a) it wasn't a Gibson Les Paul and b} it was half as expensive as a Gibson Les Paul. You simply have to look at the reviews that brands like Vintage and Fret King are getting to see that lower price doesn't mean lower quality.

Tesco Finest or Tesco Everyday Value?

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1385473035' post='2288603']
If you'd tried one, you wouldn't be saying any of that.

I owned a 4003 for 6-7 years. I now own a Rickenfaker which, IMO, is certainly a far, far better instrument than you claim it is. It certainly doesn't feel like a £150 instrument or a £300 instrument for that matter, it feels far better than that.

Yes, there are a few "chancers" out there that ask a far higher price for the instruments that they're trying to sell, but that always has happened, and always will happen when you have a quality instrument, regardless of the fact that may be emulating another.

I had a Gibson Les Paul for a while, but sold it because the Tokai Love Rock I bought as a "spare" was simply a better instrument by far, even though a) it wasn't a Gibson Les Paul and b} it was half as expensive as a Gibson Les Paul. You simply have to look at the reviews that brands like Vintage and Fret King are getting to see that lower price doesn't mean lower quality.

Tesco Finest or Tesco Everyday Value?
[/quote] Which is what I said it is up to the individual and for the record I have played a Rockinbetter and I was no where near blown away if you like it thats great I am in no way knocking the instrument you have so I am a bit confused as to why you are coming across as defensive and a bit sarcastic? if I have misread your reply I apologise :)

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1385473795' post='2288625']
Which is what I said it is up to the individual and for the record I have played a Rockinbetter and I was no where near blown away if you like it thats great I am in no way knocking the instrument you have so I am a bit confused as to why you are coming across as defensive and a bit sarcastic? if I have misread your reply I apologise :)
[/quote]

It was in response to spacey's post prior to yours, however, it could be pertinent to your "not worth £400-500" comment.

The issue is that there is no option for a "decent brand" used instrument of that particular type of guitar, if your after that particular type of instrument. You can get branded copies of Gibsons, Fenders, G&L's, Warwick's, MusicMan, and many of the other bass guitar manufacturer's. But because of a decision made by Rickenbacker, those of us, who want to play a Ric, but don't have the Ric budget, have to "make do" with either a different brand/style of instrument (which can be a waste of money when you don't get on with something), or buy the "best alternative" (to use the correct economic term) to the product that you would like.

The days of used Ric's selling for £350 are long, long, long gone. And yes, I severely regret missing out on that early 70's, checker bound 4001 that I could have bought for £350 from a dealership. And it also seems that the days of sub-£1000 used 4003's is long gone as well. I haven't seen one go for less than £1200 in the last couple of years (including my old 2005).

Which I believe also goes someway in backing up the argument for Rickenbacker to produce a budget line of instruments, following the Epiphone/Squier model of building "copies" of their own guitars overseas where the labour costs are lower, and still produce and sell the higher end guitars. If they manage it correctly, it's a "win win" for both the company and the consumer.

Edited by Skybone

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1385476387' post='2288673']
Whats wrong with copy bass? I have a parts build p/j bass that play better then most real fender in the market. I'm a happy pround owner.
[/quote]

Having your cork and sniffing it?

Apologies, but it was definitely not aimed at you, I was merely stating that the issue with copies (and bitsa's) is mostly a case of certain people "having their cake and eating it" or "cork sniffing" ("I have a "real" one, you don't, therefore you're a pleb").

It's like someone with a "real" furniture grade PRS guitar looking down their nose at someone who has a PRS SE version. Remember the late 70's/early 80's accusations of "Jap Crap"? Remember the late 80's/early 90's accusations of "Korean Crap"?

I'm just gonna pitch in my opinion. It probably isn't needed.
I have a Ric copy and it's pretty much on par with a mex fender in terms of build so the prices new are high but not a million miles off.
Before this I had a VM Jazz which every man and his dog where/are raving about and I just couldn't get the sound I wanted. That being said I'm not a Ric hunter, I can't say mine sounds exactly like one but I don't really need/want it to. It was a combination if looks and sound. The jazz cost me £300 and I out £100 on top 4 years later to get my Ric copy. It's worth £400 deffo.

That being said, people who are exclusively looking for a Ric sound sometimes miss that loads of players have managed to mirror their Ric tone on Fenders.

We don't need the facts of Ric company ethics here. We know why they can charge what they do and we know why they don't need to change any of it.

As stated above the model of fender selling licenced budget models is a win win situation and I genuinely believe you couldn't sound out a MIA fender vs a CV/ VM squier in a live band mix so if Ric did ever cut some corners and introduce cheaper a models EVERYONE wanting that sound or look would have one!

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1385476416' post='2288674']
It was in response to spacey's post prior to yours, however, it could be pertinent to your "not worth £400-500" comment.

The issue is that there is no option for a "decent brand" used instrument of that particular type of guitar, if your after that particular type of instrument. You can get branded copies of Gibsons, Fenders, G&L's, Warwick's, MusicMan, and many of the other bass guitar manufacturer's. But because of a decision made by Rickenbacker, those of us, who want to play a Ric, but don't have the Ric budget, have to "make do" with either a different brand/style of instrument (which can be a waste of money when you don't get on with something), or buy the "best alternative" (to use the correct economic term) to the product that you would like.

The days of used Ric's selling for £350 are long, long, long gone. And yes, I severely regret missing out on that early 70's, checker bound 4001 that I could have bought for £350 from a dealership. And it also seems that the days of sub-£1000 used 4003's is long gone as well. I haven't seen one go for less than £1200 in the last couple of years (including my old 2005).

Which I believe also goes someway in backing up the argument for Rickenbacker to produce a budget line of instruments, following the Epiphone/Squier model of building "copies" of their own guitars overseas where the labour costs are lower, and still produce and sell the higher end guitars. If they manage it correctly, it's a "win win" for both the company and the consumer.
[/quote] I did say IMHO I would not pay that kind of money for one and I wouldnt, as I say it is horses for courses I have some expensive basses but my go too is a £200 bass I have no problem with any bass that anybody has or uses whether it costs 10 grand or 10p if the person likes that is all that matters is it not?

Never thought of any bass as an "investment" I can think of far better things to invest in.
My basses are instruments that I saved up and bought because I liked them, gig money and months in without beer and nights out to buy each one.
Nothing snobbish or protective, but something in life cost and if you want them you are far better going without for a while than wasting money on overpriced copies, especially ones that cost £500 and come out of the box like a carriage clock thrown from the Eiffel tower.

Well, I have a overpriced gibson. I actually got mine second hand which is good, because the problems people had with them first hand were way in excess of the OP in this thread, but after a good setup it is a pretty good guitar. It is probably my best guitar and it is worth in excess of the prices of a ric (although I wouldn't pay ric prices for a ric so that is a bit irrelevant). I also have an epiphone ultra, which I play about as much and is certainly better for some things.
Neither are my goto guitars though, that is a bashed indie tribal.

I have a rockinbetter too, which I must admit that I play about equal to my second bass, an ibanez 505. The rockinbetter has a great tone (on the bridge, the neck is sh*t), has a reasonably nice neck when you get used to the shape of it, neck through body, not a bad action, holds its tune perfectly and is really good fun to play. The Ibanez is 'better' (for me), but the rockinbetter is more fun, and with a bit of grit sounds great. They both cost the same and to say it is not worth £150 is just daft. They both cost the same.

I am sure the ric is better in some way to people (I am sure it has better pickups), just as I am sure that it would sound and play better to people if they thought it was a real ric. Just to me, one isn't worth 5 or 6 times the money.

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1385468208' post='2288542']
There is a reason the "real ones" are so expensive...
[/quote]

The hand-crafted CNC? Or the loading of litigation costs into the RRP? :lol:

Anyway: diddums.

Your posts don't give a sense of you having played one of these, and everything of a little protectionism. A little brand attachment, perhaps.
It's touching to see, but not the best of platforms for an objective opinion :)

We are in agreement, however - I wouldn't pay £500; but not is this a £150 instrument of shoddy manufacture. The later ones are pretty bloody good; though the Mk1s, with the huge neck, may be an acquired taste for many.

If you're ever in York, you're welcome to stop by and try :)

I will disagree with many, however - Ric, themselves, don't need a budget brand. Their business works fine as is, despite the efforts of John Hall.

The Rockinbetters work fine for the NPR modest of pocket - or those like me, with a bit of kitsch affection for an item of such controversy.