Why become a member? ×

Things you don't want to hear before a gig....

Bilbo

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1385193906' post='2285429']
In my old metal band I frequently had from one of the guitarists: "sh*t, I've forgotten my power cable/Instrument cable/amp jack again, Graham can I use your spare?" I swear I used to bring duplicate sets of all my cables so I knew we'd actually be able to play.

Edit: to the point where I was using speakon with my amp, but used to bring a jack cab cable as well for the times he would forget his.
[/quote]
This sounds vaguely familiar!

Pub gigs , landlord waddles up to you and says , " you guys can go on when the football / rugby / cricket / darts has finished on the big screen TV . This tends to be around 10.30 pm .

" Can you guys stop at 10 ish , we have to do the meat draw "

" don't worry about him , he's harmless " the landlord says referring to the very large , very drunk , very tattooed , guy in the corner that keeps staring at you whilst setting up.

Thats great :lol: Stages, now thats a topic on its own. Reminds me of a club in Egham we did some years ago. Turned up and a whole lorry load of the weeks drinks delivery was on the stage. Even though it was not our job to move it, we would never have been set up in time if we left it to the steward. :mellow:

I was down to do a New Year's Eve party last year. Two weeks before we had an email from the promoter/organiser saying that the venue was only going to pay us half of what was agreed. We still agreed as we (Well, me) was more excited about the party. A few days after this, we get another email "yeah, the venue isn't going to pay for a band at all", and then finally, one week before the event the promoter/organiser lost contact so we rang the venue directly, who had no knowledge of a party, let alone a band that had been booked and didn't even know said promoter.

Edited by Jimryan

Forgot this one.
My son had been in hospital for over a week, couldn't hold anything down. Had a week of tests cameras down then up and x-rays etc. It got to the Friday when our band had a Young Farmers Ball in Wiltshire. He had a lower abdominal X-ray planned for the afternoon, and they found he had a twisted bowl. The nurse told us the news and said he would need and operation. I said to the wife not to worry about the gig as they never do anything at weekends, then the Doctor came in and said we are transferring him to Oxford for an emergency immediately. Wife/ (singer) went in the ambulance and I went home to phone round for a band that could cover our gig.
All was well and we even got the Gig back the following year.

Edited by deepbass5

"The first band on didn't bring any amps, can they use your gear?"

"Will only have time for a quick line check"

"Can only put a limited amount of bass through the monitors"

"Why would you mic a bass cab?!"

Other bands/audience shouting out how to set the sound during soundcheck.

Or usually, just as our set finishes - "Great gig mate, really digging the bass lines/tone. Mind if I borrow your amp?"

[quote name='Jonnyboy Rotten' timestamp='1384775135' post='2280473']
"The band before/after you haven't been able to bring their instruments. You don't mind if they use yours do you?"
[/quote]

Ha ha!

what was his face like when you replied "no f***ing way"? :P

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1384776348' post='2280491']
Many years ago before an important gig the band were read a review, in the dressing room, that had just been handed to management:

[i]“To say that Sad Lovers & Giants (Ho Ho) have not got a great deal going for them would be an understatement indeed. A name of unremitting clumsiness, a press release capable of ending careers and a music steeped in a tradition of limp derivation. They've listened to the Banshees, they've listened to the Cure, sorted out the good bits and used the rest.” [/i]

I'm not sure management fully understood the psychology of motivation.
[/quote]

ouch, that's harsh!
I admit I had to check out the band after reading that and... I liked it!
If you play in Edinburgh I'll definitely go to see you guys.

[quote name='deepbass5' timestamp='1385211986' post='2285644']
Thats great :lol: Stages, now thats a topic on its own. Reminds me of a club in Egham we did some years ago. Turned up and a whole lorry load of the weeks drinks delivery was on the stage. Even though it was not our job to move it, we would never have been set up in time if we left it to the steward. :mellow:
[/quote]Eggham social club? We had that there as well.

This happened today.

guitarist: hey, is that true that we have a gig tonight? Singer says we do, but it's not on mine or on the band's calendar!
me: yes, at 9.30. We all agreed to do this gig. But... dang, it's true, for some reasone I forgot to write it on the band's calendar. It's on my personal one and the drummer's which we can all see, just not on the band's communal one.
guitarist: sh*t, I'm in Glasgow for a 50th birthday party and I'm helping organising this as it seemed I was free... are there any other options?

It's crap, I forgot to put it on the main calendar, but we should all write it in our personal ones as soon as it's confirmed...

Still, guitarist said he'd come if I could not find an alternative, as he does not want to jeopardise the good relationship we have with this venue.

That's why I play with these guys. :)

And all is good, about 40 minutes after this conversation I had arranged for my main band, Sea Bass Kid, to play instead.
Another reason it's useful to play in several bands! :)

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1384863864' post='2281514']
Or what I've had:

Soundguy: your drummer emailed me yesterday and agreed it was ok if all the bands use you rig. Cheers.
[/quote]

my drummer, and every other band member, knows me well enough to never dare say anything like that without asking me first.

Train your bandmates! ;)