Why become a member? ×

Neck dive

ead

I was having an idle conversation today with a friend and ended up talking about basses. Somehow drifted onto the topic of how people wear a bass whilst playing and then on the mechanics of balance etc. This person then asked what influenced the placement of strap buttons and why they were often in the same places.

Has anybody added a strap button "above" the supplied position to help with this issue - making the rash assumption here that most basses come with a button in line with the centre of the strings.? If it does work, and how far above the centre line seems to be best, and does changing the way a bass hangs affect playbility?

Thanks

I had a thumb bass. The top horn on a Thumb bass is short, and therefore the strap button is in a position roughly parallel with the 15th fret. This has a couple of negative effects. The balance of the bass is shifted forward and the result is neck dive. This is a commonly acknowledged problem with Thumb basses (although some players claim to be immune to the condition). The other problem that this causes is that it makes the lower frets feel far away. Playing around that area of the neck for a period of time is rather fatigue inducing (carpel tunnel on a plate).

I bought a 2nd hand Epi Thunderbird and moved the strap button at both ends.
Bridge end higher and neck one moved to where neck joins.
Made a huge difference.
Not a bass I play very often but its fun now and again.
I have noted my Thumb bass issues but generally have gotten used to it over the years however I do use a strap with a fabric that grips my clothes and that helps.

Dave

Opposite to what Fionn said I'd say my thumb bass is the best balancing bass I've used! Although it isnt the heavier bubinga ones so that may have something to do with it?

Worst balancing bass I've used was the Spectorcore 5 string. Probably would have added a new strap button to it but I got rid of it before I had the chance

statuses(usii) usually have two buttons - i use the one nearest the floor and it still doesnt neck dive - tried the other one but as i like my bass quite high up it doesnt leave much room for getting in and out

the lighter weight of my two j's has the standard postiion buttons and no neck dive and the TRB has a long neck but the body is so heavy there is still no neck dive with the buttons in usual butt and horn position :lol:

is this problem limited to only specific guitar designs (tbirds v's explorers etc) as ive never come across it with any of my boring standard shape basses tbh :huh: