Why become a member? ×

Just Curious!

thebrig

I'm curious to know how the stats alongside threads/topics work on here.

For example, a couple of hours ago I put three "[i]wanted[/i]" adverts in the "[i]items wanted[/i]" section, and although the stats say that I have had [i][b]no[/b][/i] replies and [i][b]no[/b][/i] views, in actual fact, I have had personal replies to two of them already, so people are viewing them even though the stats say otherwise.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1384524494' post='2277715']
Because due to the 'unique' way this site is now funded, you cannot reply to wanted ads on the board as that might be seen as [s]helpful[/s] breaching the rules of paying to advertise so you won't get any reply stats in that forum.
[/quote]
But what about the view stats? they are saying no one has even viewed the ads.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1384524494' post='2277715']
Because due to the 'unique' way this site is now funded, you cannot reply to wanted ads on the board as that might be seen as [s]helpful[/s] breaching the rules of paying to advertise so you won't get any reply stats in that forum.
[/quote]
You're right, I've just read the restrictions.

So that means you can't bump your ad every three days, which will encourage people to create new ads to get back on page one, which in turn will clog up the "items wanted" section.

BTW, I pay the annual fee to sell on BC, so maybe people who do pay, should be able to bump on their "items wanted" ads.

Just my opinion of course. :blush:

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1384539508' post='2277992']
You're right, I've just read the restrictions.

So that means you can't bump your ad every three days, which will encourage people to create new ads to get back on page one, which in turn will clog up the "items wanted" section.

BTW, I pay the annual fee to sell on BC, so maybe people who do pay, should be able to bump on their "items wanted" ads.

Just my opinion of course. :blush:
[/quote]

Indeed, unfortunately that's the way this site seems to be going.

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1384540295' post='2278004']
Yeah. Curse this site with its entirely free membership and volunteer staff.
I reckon the admins should fund the site out of their own pockets, that'd learn 'em.
[/quote]

Indeed.

If you want to know why something is the way it is, ask a Mod.

They'll be able to give you an answer based on reality as opposed to one based on ignorance of the facts.

I think that most of us appreciate what a great job the people who run this site do.

But I do think it's a pity that a few people who have abused the "items wanted" section, have spoilt it for the majority of us.

As I said, I have paid the annual fee to sell items, even though I have only sold one so far, and may not put anything else up for some time, so I may end up paying far more for selling one item, than what most people would pay, but my point is, if someone has paid an annual fee, I just think it would be good to allow those people the chance give their "wanted" ads a little boost when needed.

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1384542384' post='2278031']

But I do think it's a pity that a few people who have abused the "[u][b]insert whatever the heck you like here" [/b][/u], have spoilt it for the majority of us.

[/quote] Welcome to Life. That's why the statute books are brimming over with stuff. :)

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1384542384' post='2278031']
I just think it would be good to allow those people the chance give their "wanted" ads a little boost when needed.
[/quote]

This has been discussed and explained in several threads, but essentially we simply don't have a mechanism within the forum software to allow that degree of differentiation at present.

Despite the claims by those who make out that they know what they are talking about, the lockdown of the Wanted section wasn't something that we wanted to do.

Moving forward, we will find a way of managing the Wanted section with more flexibility.

Until we can find and implement that solution, I'd urge forum members to lay the blame where it is actually deserved - firmly at the feet of those who decided that freeloading at the expense of the rest of you was acceptable.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1384544215' post='2278057']
This has been discussed and explained in several threads, but essentially we simply don't have a mechanism within the forum software to allow that degree of differentiation at present.

Despite the claims by those who make out that they know what they are talking about, the lockdown of the Wanted section wasn't something that we wanted to do.

Moving forward, we will find a way of managing the Wanted section with more flexibility.

Until we can find and implement that solution, I'd urge forum members to lay the blame where it is actually deserved - firmly at the feet of those who decided that freeloading at the expense of the rest of you was acceptable.
[/quote]I agree, and do lay the blame with the members who are abusing it. :unsure:

Christ. Some people are never happy are they. Any titchy pathetic niggle about Basschat pales exponentially next to the information, support and affection members give each other, not just with music, with their personal lives too. I know a good few people on here who have received real help with their suffering and troubles from other members - I am one of them.

The way this place is run is a paragon of excellence, you have the mods' and owners' balanced and fair judgement to thank for that.

It's a real, tangible, important community, not just a place to sell f***ing basses n sh*t.

Edited by xilddx

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1384567626' post='2278363']
Christ. Some people are never happy are they. Any titchy pathetic niggle about Basschat pales exponentially next to the information, support and affection members give each other, not just with music, with their personal lives too. I know a good few people on here who have received real help with their suffering and troubles from other members - I am one of them.

The way this place is run is a paragon of excellence, you have the mods' and owners' balanced and fair judgement to thank for that.

It's a real, tangible, important community, not just a place to sell f***ing basses n sh*t.
[/quote]Blimey! I only started this thread because I was curious about being contacted ([i]which I am extremely grateful for[/i]) by BC'ers regarding my wanted ads, even though the stats were saying [u]no[/u] one has viewed my ads, it was [u]not[/u] a moan, just an [u]observation[/u].

I have already stated that my gripe is with the [u]members who are abusing the system[/u], not the people who do a great job in running the forum, and I fully understand why they have put a restriction on the "items wanted" section now that the reason for it has been explained.

I'm fully aware that it's [i]"not just a place to sell f***ing basses n sh*t[/i]", and I personally have only sold a couple of items over many years.
I have also stated that I was happy to pay the annual fee of £20 to sell just one item a few weeks ago, I have no intention of selling anything else at the moment, so I don't think I fall into the category of taking what I can from the forum, without being prepared to contribute a little back.

I agree with your opinions about the forum being "[i]a real, tangible, important community[/i]", but you shouldn't assume that no one else thinks that way too, because I think that most of us do.

BTW, until it was pointed out to me, I didn't even realise that we cannot reply in the "items wanted" section, but now through discussion, myself, and probably a few others as well, now understand and appreciate why certain things are done. :)

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1384592985' post='2278404']
Blimey! I only started this thread because I was curious about being contacted ([i]which I am extremely grateful for[/i]) by BC'ers regarding my wanted ads, even though the stats were saying [u]no[/u] one has viewed my ads, it was [u]not[/u] a moan, just an [u]observation[/u].

I have already stated that my gripe is with the [u]members who are abusing the system[/u], not the people who do a great job in running the forum, and I fully understand why they have put a restriction on the "items wanted" section now that the reason for it has been explained.

I'm fully aware that it's [i]"not just a place to sell f***ing basses n sh*t[/i]", and I personally have only sold a couple of items over many years.
I have also stated that I was happy to pay the annual fee of £20 to sell just one item a few weeks ago, I have no intention of selling anything else at the moment, so I don't think I fall into the category of taking what I can from the forum, without being prepared to contribute a little back.

I agree with your opinions about the forum being "[i]a real, tangible, important community[/i]", but you shouldn't assume that no one else thinks that way too, because I think that most of us do.

BTW, until it was pointed out to me, I didn't even realise that we cannot reply in the "items wanted" section, but now through discussion, myself, and probably a few others as well, now understand and appreciate why certain things are done. :)
[/quote]

Sorry man, I wasn't aiming that at you :)

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1384603090' post='2278563']
It was aimed at me. Cheers Nige.
[/quote]

No not really mate, although it somewhat prompted it as I was surprised at the implied il-feeling in what you said. I suppose I've become tired and a bit narked at the moaning over the past few years (even though I've done some myself in the past), and it's almost always the Marketplace that causes these frictions.

I don't know how the owners and mods feel about doing all this work and still getting criticised. It made me feel sad last night.

Sorry if I offended you, Wayne, it was nothing personal.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1384603791' post='2278570']

it's almost always the Marketplace that causes these frictions.

I don't know how the owners and mods feel about doing all this work and still getting criticised. It made me feel sad last night.

[/quote]

Once you start providing a paid-for service you are always going to get complaints. Once money started changing hands the "the mods do this for free, be thankful for the forum" attitude (an admirable attitude at that) was always going to be stretched a bit.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1384604901' post='2278586']

How do you mean?
[/quote]

Just the impression threads like this (and their subject matter) leave me with. Moderation has basically robbed the 'wanted' section of all usefulness, while we wait for some sort of magic software solution to the trying to sell for free problem. My preferred solution would be thread deletion when problems arise, rather than swinging a sledge hammer at a small nut. You can't tell me that the problem was so huge that the moderators were being deluged by dodgy ads. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate everything you guys do for the site, I just think you're wrong this time.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1384605693' post='2278596']
Just the impression threads like this (and their subject matter) leave me with. Moderation has basically robbed the 'wanted' section of all usefulness, while we wait for some sort of magic software solution to the trying to sell for free problem. My preferred solution would be thread deletion when problems arise, rather than swinging a sledge hammer at a small nut. You can't tell me that the problem was so huge that the moderators were being deluged by dodgy ads. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate everything you guys do for the site, I just think you're wrong this time.
[/quote]

Why is it robbed of usefulness? I don't understand that. It's easily searchable. Sadly there are people abusing it to avoid paying a small fee apparently and Hamster has had to impose some restrictions to minimise it.

This site has become very large, it was different a few years ago.