Why become a member? ×

Orange turns out to be a lemon no more

Guest MoJo

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1385237748' post='2286049']
A/B'd with Garys........sounded just as loud at the same settings. Maybe it's the voicing of the Schroeder that makes it seem quiter
[/quote]

If Gary's has lower gain tubes then maybe that is the reason. Are you getting any dirt/grunge/break-up at all anywhere through the gain settings on yours? Or is it just clean all the way from 0 to 11? I mean 10 of course...

:)

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1385244237' post='2286138']

If Gary's has lower gain tubes then maybe that is the reason. Are you getting any dirt/grunge/break-up at all anywhere through the gain settings on yours? Or is it just clean all the way from 0 to 11? I mean 10 of course...

:)
[/quote]

Mine will get very dirty if you take it to 3 o clock. Having listened to the two heads back to back, I'm happy now that the amp is working as it should. Gary has a very mid-driven tone, cutting through the mix beautifully. He rolls the bass off to 9 o clock. It seems to suit the Barefaced S12 very well. Maybe the Terror Bass doesn't suit the Schroeder so well

FWIW, I had an early OTB, think it was a 2010. It died a few months back and the amazing Orange pretty much gave me a new amp, minus the main cover bit which had my name on....and it was even out of warrenty - brilliant service :)

Anyhow i rememer the earlier 2010 model breaking up a lot earlier than this more recent model, 11 - 12 o'clock. I do however prefer the newer amp persoanlly and it does also break up around 1 - 2 o'clock with my speakers.

Edited by Rasta

Have you tried your head with a sp212 Orange cab?
I A/B mine in the shop with various speakers and the Orange one had something the others didn,t have.
As you heard testimony from other users about volume they are big and loud.The most I,ve had mine at a gig without PA support is 10 oclock on the gain and 11 oclock on the volume and it was serious loud.I still have original valves and it,s the newer one with the issues solved.Bass ,middle,treble all 12 oclock or near enough.

Hi Guys,

Mojo A/B'd with mine last Saturday.

For what it's worth I have Mullard NOS 12AT7wa's in mine. The test was with my G&L L2000 which is hot.
Personally, I didn't hear much difference between the two heads and the break up was more defined with Mojo's past 12 o'clock - which is probably due to the AX7's.

I can only think it's either, the cab - I'm not clued up on efficiency ratings but, I can't see the Schroeder's 103db and my S12's 130db SPL making such a marked difference? I'm open to correction! Could be that it just needs more oompf to drive it, hence the increased settings?

Or, Orange have sorted the hot-issue and calmed the OTB's down internally with the later models?

Either way - If I'd had yours Mojo, I wouldn't have thought anything wrong and probably not have changed the valves either. It seemed on a par with mine and more useable out of the box tbh.

Could it be a preconception of how you think it 'should' sound? Bear with mate, its under warranty - try and get it how you want it to sound, if it does that and no smoke coming out of the toaster - it's working fine! :)

Edited by grunge666

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1385558483' post='2289596']
Where did you get the 130db figure for the S12? That's jet engine territory :-D
[/quote]
I believe that the 130db number is probably the max SPL of the S12. It's sensitivity is around 103db @ 1m @ 1watt, similar to the other cab mentioned.

Rehearsal tomorrow night. I've bought a wireless system so that I can stand well away and listen to it. I love the tone and now I know that the amp is working as it should, I'm going to use what I've learned from talking to and testing with Gary to familiarise myself with the Terror Bass

Careful with that wireless, Eugene.

Regardless of claims of complete transparency, every wireless system I've tried brings something to the mix. My current Sennheiser XS is pretty good (and pretty good value too) but it works better with some bass/rig combinations than with others and it's taken me a while to work out what sounds good and what doesn't.

Something I've definitely noticed is that the combination of gain/pad/output settings on each of the beltpack and the receiver unit is capable of introducing what amounts to compression to the sound, and can really change the sound of your bass especially when placed in front of a valve-based rig.

If you already have concerns about the sound of your bass/rig and want to "monitor" that at rehearsal, I would seriously recommend buying a very long lead and using that instead. Don't introduce another bloody variable at this stage!

So glad I took Garys advice and stuck with it. The Terror Bass came into it's own. Still familiarising my self with it's nuances but I'm convinced now that I made the right choice. The future's bright, the future's Orange

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1385678949' post='2291182']
So glad I took Garys advice and stuck with it. The Terror Bass came into it's own. Still familiarising my self with it's nuances but I'm convinced now that I made the right choice. The future's bright, the future's Orange
[/quote]

That's pleasing to read. Great that you stuck with it, and found the Orange future :)

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1385678949' post='2291182']
[/quote]

[URL=http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Just%20Stuff/Sundry/OrangeFuture_zps3866aa04.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Just%20Stuff/Sundry/OrangeFuture_zps3866aa04.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Rasta' timestamp='1385247688' post='2286176']
FWIW, I had an early OTB, think it was a 2010. It died a few months back and the amazing Orange pretty much gave me a new amp, minus the main cover bit which had my name on....and it was even out of warrenty - brilliant service :)

Anyhow i rememer the earlier 2010 model breaking up a lot earlier than this more recent model, 11 - 12 o'clock. I do however prefer the newer amp persoanlly and it does also break up around 1 - 2 o'clock with my speakers.
[/quote]

Just out of curiosity, did you deal directly with Orange to get this fixed or go via your dealer? Mine has died also and Orange told me too take it to my nearest Orange dealer, which is about 25 miles away, so I'm making the trip on Friday!

Cheers,
Dan

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1388020943' post='2317973']

Just out of curiosity, did you deal directly with Orange to get this fixed or go via your dealer? Mine has died also and Orange told me too take it to my nearest Orange dealer, which is about 25 miles away, so I'm making the trip on Friday!

Cheers,
Dan
[/quote]
Hi Dan, I went through the dealer, where I originally purchased the amp. Good luck with yours, hope it works out. I'm shortly trading my OTB in the next couple of days and I know I will miss it dearly as they're great amps, I just need something a little different for some dubby stuff...I reckon I will probably get another though someday :)