Why become a member? ×

SOLD Jap 80s Fender Precision, maple and sunburst
£400

alhbass

Purchased a couple of years ago from highly reputable BC'er 2x18, this was my principal gigging instrument for some time. More recently been my back-up bass (since acquiring my lovely Yamaha 1024). It's a great instrument - plays as good as it looks - and is offered for sale with both the scratch plates shown below. It's currently strung with flatwounds, and is set up with a medium-low action.

According to the Fender website, the serial number dates it between 1984 and 1987.

But I've got GAS for something else, and under the domestic "one in, one out" agreement, it's got to go. So, as I'm in a bit of a rush to sell, £400 plus P&P will secure you a great instrument...

You're welcome to try before you buy if you're in the York area - otherwise I'm happy to post. If posting I'll pack it well (I've packed and posted several instruments safely in the last few years) and send it in a rugged Stagg semi-rigid case which is no longer any use to me for gigging because the handles are broken, but which will serve very well for protection in transport.

Please let me know if you're interested.

Cheers.

Sorry but no trades thanks.

[url="http://s779.photobucket.com/user/Alhbass/media/CIJ%20P%20Bass%2084-87/DSC07447.jpg.html"][/url]
[url="http://s779.photobucket.com/user/Alhbass/media/CIJ%20P%20Bass%2084-87/DSC07200.jpg.html"][/url]
[url="http://s779.photobucket.com/user/Alhbass/media/CIJ%20P%20Bass%2084-87/DSC07217.jpg.html"][/url]
[url="http://s779.photobucket.com/user/Alhbass/media/CIJ%20P%20Bass%2084-87/DSC07214.jpg.html"][/url]
[url="http://s779.photobucket.com/user/Alhbass/media/CIJ%20P%20Bass%2084-87/DSC07202.jpg.html"][/url]
[url="http://s779.photobucket.com/user/Alhbass/media/CIJ%20P%20Bass%2084-87/DSC07460.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by alhbass

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1383593225' post='2266391']
Love it! Just like Frankenstein.
[/quote]

Forgive me if I'm being slow witted (though I am both blonde and a bass player, so make the necessary allowances), but I don't quite catch your drift re the Frankenstein thing....?

E- Series, great instruments. I have one that was identical to this, but used it in a project in the Build Diary section, so now it doesn't really look the same at all! Still plays just as good.

With all the hype around JV series at the moment this should be snapped up at that price, given it was made in the same factory only a year or so later.

Good luck with the sale!

[quote name='alhbass' timestamp='1383594966' post='2266425']
Forgive me if I'm being slow witted (though I am both blonde and a bass player, so make the necessary allowances), but I don't quite catch your drift re the Frankenstein thing....?
[/quote] Could it be like FrankenFender? I'm lost too :)

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1383597779' post='2266477']
Could it be like FrankenFender? I'm lost too :)
[/quote]

I added the ashtray and changed the original white pickguard to the black tort one - other than that, it's what it says on the tin!

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1383597506' post='2266465']
E- Series, great instruments. I have one that was identical to this, but used it in a project in the Build Diary section, so now it doesn't really look the same at all! Still plays just as good.

With all the hype around JV series at the moment this should be snapped up at that price, given it was made in the same factory only a year or so later.

Good luck with the sale!
[/quote]

Thanks!

[quote name='alhbass' timestamp='1383594966' post='2266425']
[/quote]
It looks just like Entwistle's legendary Frankenstein P bass - well it does with the white scratchplate! Apologies for any confusion. I just wish I had a spare £400 knocking about :D

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1383601615' post='2266553']
It looks just like Entwistle's legendary Frankenstein P bass - well it does with the white scratchplate! Apologies for any confusion. I just wish I had a spare £400 knocking about :D
[/quote]

Ah, ok - I get you now. Thanks for the clarification!

Hi Al,

I'm very interested in this bass, can you confirm what the fret wear is like (if there is any) and does it still have the original electronics?

Appreciate it might not be easy to tell on the electronics front, but, then again you may be an electronics guru!!!!! ;)[size=4] [/size]

[size=4]Cheers[/size]
[size=4]Rowley[/size]

[quote name='Rowley Birkin QC' timestamp='1383759528' post='2268719']
Hi Al,

I'm very interested in this bass, can you confirm what the fret wear is like (if there is any) and does it still have the original electronics?

Appreciate it might not be easy to tell on the electronics front, but, then again you may be an electronics guru!!!!! ;)

Cheers
Rowley
[/quote]

Hello mate, thanks for your interest. It's a terrible admission to make for someone who likes to think of himself as at least a step or two above being a mere beginner level bass player, but I don't really know what to look for re the frets. They seem fine to me. Same story with the electrics. You might get much more technically competent answers from 2x18 - he sold it to me, and other than changing the scratchplate, adding the ashtray and adjusting the action a bit, it's exactly as it was when I took it off him. In fact, I'll chase him up myself and see if I can get more info to post here for all to see.

Cheers anyway.

Happy to take detailed pics though, if that would help? Let me know if it would?

As far as I remember this lovely P-Bass was all original when I sold it to alhbass a couple of years ago!

It was ( and almost certainly still is ) a terrific example of a Fender Japan P-Bass, and the frets had plenty of life left in them!

Will.

OK, thanks for the honest reply!

Appreciate the input from Will, whom I have actually met earlier this year who's a top bloke! I'm convinced enough to come have a look at this as I'm now confident it's as good as you describe it. Drop me a pm with some contact details so we can make arrangements if you'd be so kind.

Will, thanks for that, hope you're Keeping well......the TC remote is serving me well.

Cheers guys.
Rowley

[quote name='2x18' timestamp='1383834004' post='2269750']
As far as I remember this lovely P-Bass was all original when I sold it to alhbass a couple of years ago!

It was ( and almost certainly still is ) a terrific example of a Fender Japan P-Bass, and the frets had plenty of life left in them!

Will.
[/quote]

Thanks very much Will. Greatly appreciated.