Why become a member? ×

Lined Fretless neck - why did I wait sooooo long!

steviedee

Replaced my unlined fretless neck on my ray with a lined one a while back (cheers j0lly j). What a difference, granted I was getting to like the atonal racket I was getting out of the bass but my bandmates are much happier.

I know it's considered a cop out but much easier for me!

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1383471290' post='2264678']
But can you actually see the fretlines while playing?

All I can see is the fret-ends, so I actually prefer playing an unlined with fret-end markers.
[/quote]I'm with Jack on this, my favourite fretless has black fill across the board except the last few mm, or the 'top edge' which is white :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/kjon51/Fender%2060s%20Classic%20Jazz%20Bass/20130524_075825_zpsd8820fbf.jpg

Nice. I've had two basses where the fingerboard was unlined but there was a 2mm insert where the fret would have been.

The first was this old Ibanez 2369 FLB and I liked it so much I had the same thing done to a Mighty Mite unlined fretless board when I converted my Lakland Duck Dunn.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1383471290' post='2264678']
But can you actually see the fretlines while playing?

All I can see is the fret-ends, so I actually prefer playing an unlined with fret-end markers.
[/quote]

I see what you mean, there is a couple of millimetres of white inlay on the neck. I dunno though I'm just not out of tune which was my main problem with the unlined. Maybe it's a confidence thing but there is a real improvement.