Why become a member? ×

Warwick basses

erisu

[quote name='erisu' timestamp='1383308072' post='2262897']
I once owned a Corvette many moons ago, tone was thick and very growly! The neck wasn't thin but it wasn't chunky for me, but it did feel very, very nice! :)

I'm now thinking of looking for Warwick alternatives! Anyone know of any similar sounding basses? I'm specifically looking for that growly tone that the Wicks produce :) Probably go custom from a luthier using exotic body woods will maybe work out the same as a standard mass production bass?
[/quote]
I used to have a Mayones Be4 with EMG single-coils and that was very Corvette-esque, but (IMO) had a sensible neck profile and lacked the "sex-toy" upper horn

This was the one:

[Img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/Ghost_Upon_The_Stage/IMG_267825141212690_zps085d4e95.jpg" class="ipsImage" />

Edited by Graham

My standard corvette swamp ash is about 8 1/2 lbs, so not too heavy, its German made in 2004 and cost me £325 used a year ago. Sure theres a little bit of wear on the body, but it's a working instrument, chuffed to bits with it. The nut width is a jazz like 38 mm but the depth of the neck is quite fat, which fits nicely in my paws, some people may not like it though.

[quote name='erisu' timestamp='1383308072' post='2262897']
I once owned a Corvette many moons ago, tone was thick and very growly! The neck wasn't thin but it wasn't chunky for me, but it did feel very, very nice! :)

I'm now thinking of looking for Warwick alternatives! Anyone know of any similar sounding basses? I'm specifically looking for that growly tone that the Wicks produce :) Probably go custom from a luthier using exotic body woods will maybe work out the same as a standard mass production bass?
[/quote]
May sound a bit left field but the mid to high end Ibanez SR's feel really tactile in a Warwick kind of way imho. They also have a bit of the woody growl.

Edited by White Cloud

[quote name='erisu' timestamp='1383320131' post='2263163']
That's true - though what I love about Warwicks is it feels like quite an exclusive club to be in and as they refer their customers as "being in the Warwick family" There's just something Warwicks that I love, even if other basses are better bought for better investment, a Warwick will always be a Warwick :(
[/quote] they are nice basses - but they are just basses and I'm not more in the same family as warwick as I'm in the same family as fender players if I plyed a fender

I have a very, very, very nice Warwick Thumb LTD 2006 "Dirty Blonde" that MAY be for sale. It looks like this:
[IMG]http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd169/bassmayhem/CIMG1336.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd169/bassmayhem/CIMG1337.jpg[/IMG]

My rockbass corvetttes (for stupid cheap money, and I mean cheap) are very good. They are both comparable quality to my two 'vintage' USA basses. Quite what you would get for 10x or even 15X more £ must be open to debate. The quality of Chinese / Korean kit just keeps getting better and better.

20+ years ago when I first picked up a bass I used to really want a Warwick. They used to be stocked in my local music shop and they just looked 'it' for me.

However, having tried them and owning a Rockbass Corvette I found I don't get on with how they hang and I really dislike the fat necks. They've got a great sound but to be honest I can get something similar, and something I actually prefer from the Yamaha I now own. So I no longer yearn for a Warwick.

I also noticed that even at Mansons the other day there were none there...they had Zon's and some other expensive brands but I didn't see any Warwicks.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions guys! Much appreciated! Sound like the majority of people are just happy with other alternatives. I've been searching again just now for Warwicks and it seems like I could import one from Japan but it's all new old stock from 2011/2012 for about £1,700 inc. shipping, import tax etc... which screams it's abit expensive for a new old stock so going to explore ways into getting a custom I guess.

I've had a few Streamers over the years and sold all of them except the first one I bought. IMO the newer instruments (from around 2000 onwards) are poor when compared to the earlier models. They still sound fantastic but the QC has dropped. Someone like Chris Larkin could design you a bass which would sound better but still be capable of producing Warwick esque tones if needed. Having said all that, if you have your heart set on a wick nothing else will do. Definitely look at the secondhand market.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1383333422' post='2263367']

May sound a bit left field but the mid to high end Ibanez SR's feel really tactile in a Warwick kind of way imho. They also have a bit of the woody growl.
[/quote]

I agree. My ibanez sr1205 reminds me of a warwick.

[quote name='erisu' timestamp='1383308072' post='2262897']I'm now thinking of looking for Warwick alternatives! Anyone know of any similar sounding basses? I'm specifically looking for that growly tone that the Wicks produce :)
[/quote]

How about a Spector? And not just because I am (half-heartedly!) trying to sell one.... :D [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/215635-spector-euro-4lx-l725/page__p__2261085__hl__spector__fromsearch__1#entry2261085"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/215635-spector-euro-4lx-l725/page__p__2261085__hl__spector__fromsearch__1#entry2261085[/url]