Why become a member? ×

9v Batteries

Jobiebass

Not sure how long it would take me to use 30 batteries but something to bear in mind, thanks.
I'll check out the pound shop, I know the manager of our local one, I'll check what they've got.
That makes sense about the voltage drop, I wonder if the lithium ones would be OK, they are 9.6V, 0.6V higher than normal.
I have a feeling I'll forget to unplug the cord and drain the battery.

[quote name='jake_tenfloors' post='224272' date='Jun 22 2008, 05:00 PM']Duracell rechargeable ftw.[/quote]
Yes, rechargeables all the way. You can get the top brands for around £6 each or pretty good ones from Aldi for £1.99 when they are in stock. It's a no-brainer - and you'll be looking after the planet.

[quote name='Huggy and the Bears' post='231163' date='Jul 2 2008, 10:33 AM']I change a standard Duracell battery in my Stingray about [b]once per month[/b] and have never had reliability problems.

Simon. :)[/quote]

:rolleyes:

I've owned a lot of Stingray's and gig regularly and maybe have had to change a duracell battery maybe [b]once a year[/b] or longer a lot of the time. Do you keep your bass plugged in all the time?

[quote name='Delberthot' post='485386' date='May 11 2009, 09:23 PM']:)

I've owned a lot of Stingray's and gig regularly and maybe have had to change a duracell battery maybe [b]once a year[/b] or longer a lot of the time. Do you keep your bass plugged in all the time?[/quote]

yes - I don't know about Stingray but generally an alkaline PP3 should last months at least.

I would have to say that NiMH rechargeables do tend to drop their voltage / power more rapidly than alkalines and more so as they get older.
It depends on lots of things though - pattern of use / temperature etc. and is a whole topic in its own right.
btw they also tend to lose charge more quickly when 'in the drawer' so don't bank on those ones that you charged up the other week still being okay.
Various brands tested but I can't see big differences between them.
Views welcome.

I use mains power unless it's not feasible ( or phantom for BDDI going into desk ).
Takes away the 'left it plugged in' scenario.

[quote name='rmorris' post='485444' date='May 11 2009, 11:27 PM']I would have to say that NiMH rechargeables do tend to drop their voltage / power more rapidly than alkalines and more so as they get older.
It depends on lots of things though - pattern of use / temperature etc. and is a whole topic in its own right.
btw they also tend to lose charge more quickly when 'in the drawer' so don't bank on those ones that you charged up the other week still being okay.
Various brands tested but I can't see big differences between them.
Views welcome.[/quote]
Can't say I've noticed NiMH rechargeables weakening as they age, and I use quite a few. However, it is true as you say that they 'self-discharge' over a period of between 3 and 6 months. You should therefore top them up just before you use them and remember that you will need to fully recharge them in 6 months at the latest whether you use them or not. There is no point in using them in things like clocks (or basses for that matter), where an alkaline normally lasts for years.
Having said that, alkalines usually last a year in some of my meters, but I have a habit of forgetting to switch them off. That's where rechargeables really come into their own.

Conventional NiMH rechargeables self-discharge far too quickly to be a good idea in basses. However the newer 'Hybrio' ones that are fully charged when new are very good and have almost zero self-discharge (about 10%/yr) - I gather they are now available in a PP3 size. I've been using the AAs for a while and am very impressed.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='485615' date='May 12 2009, 09:16 AM']Conventional NiMH rechargeables self-discharge far too quickly to be a good idea in basses. However the newer 'Hybrio' ones that are fully charged when new are very good and have almost zero self-discharge (about 10%/yr) - I gather they are now available in a PP3 size. I've been using the AAs for a while and am very impressed.

Alex[/quote]

Sounds like I might need to get a couple of those for one of my cameras. I have a Pentax Optio S30 that I use infrequently, and it seems to be really sensitive to voltage, because I only need to leave a pair of NiMH batteries (AA) in there for about two weeks before it gives me a "Battery discharged" error when I try to turn it on.

S.P.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='485615' date='May 12 2009, 08:16 AM']Conventional NiMH rechargeables self-discharge far too quickly to be a good idea in basses. However the newer 'Hybrio' ones that are fully charged when new are very good and have almost zero self-discharge (about 10%/yr) - I gather they are now available in a PP3 size. I've been using the AAs for a while and am very impressed.

Alex[/quote]

right. thanks for the info'. I haven't seen those around - are they generally available ?
Sound useful in lots of applications.

Had a look round today and the worst prices for Duracell are about £6.50 for ultra, £5.50 for Plus and most ask £3-£4.50 each.
In Maplins they told me Uniross have gone bust and any batteries for sale will be clearance, had a look on the net and there's still plenty for sale. [i] news today "Eveready is looking to acquire a minimum of an 80% stake in Uniross for $13.65 million." [/i]

Pound shop had three Procells for £1. Looked different than the ones I've seen before.

I think I'll go for the Uniross Hybrio PP3 with charger for £11.99 inc Vat delivered, unless anyone knows a better deal. If I don't use the bass for a while it should have a little juice for an hour or so, if I leave the plug in and the battery dies, just charge it up again. Not sure if they are anti-leak.

Thanks for your help, John.

Edit: plug not jack

Edited by JPAC

[quote name='stevie' post='485457' date='May 11 2009, 11:47 PM']Can't say I've noticed NiMH rechargeables weakening as they age, and I use quite a few. However, it is true as you say that they 'self-discharge' over a period of between 3 and 6 months. You should therefore top them up just before you use them and remember that you will need to fully recharge them in 6 months at the latest whether you use them or not. There is no point in using them in things like clocks (or basses for that matter), where an alkaline normally lasts for years.
Having said that, alkalines usually last a year in some of my meters, but I have a habit of forgetting to switch them off. That's where rechargeables really come into their own.[/quote]

Maybe it's the application I'm thinking of - a battery operated radio which takes 3xAA.
Various Brands - all seem to last a shorter time in there than they did when new. Not that I've written the figures down.

[quote name='andyonbass' post='224316' date='Jun 22 2008, 06:19 PM']Has anyone used [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-x-ULTRALIFE-LITHIUM-PP3-9V-BATTERYs-FREE-UK-POSTAGE_W0QQitemZ290238884773QQihZ019QQcategoryZ50615QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]ULTRALIFE[/url] lithium batteries? Its claimed they last 5 times longer than normal 9v batts, but I'm sure I heard somewhere that they are marginally larger and might be a bit of a squeeze in some battery compartments :)[/quote]

They dont fit in either of my musicmen or the fishman box fitted to my lakland

Heck ,, is there a thread for everything on ere or what!...lol,,, love this forum... :

Usually raid the poundshop (two for a quid) and change them real regular,, never had issues ,,,ever..

Unless a certain pro touring band happen to lose a few procell in my direction...well,,,,, ya just have too..... :) :rolleyes: