Why become a member? ×

Musicman - help and advice

far0n

Right, got the chance to play a Musicman Stingray last night at a wedding, the groom's father was a bass player and kindly let me have a little noodle on it, very nice of him. Anyway, it was a 3 band eq with piezo bridge model. Now I've been looking at Musicman basses for a while trying to make up my mind what to get. I'd never really considered getting one with a piezo bridge, so does it make much difference ? Any pros/cons ? Also, is the only difference between a Sterling and Stingray, the neck/body shape and coil switching ? ...and where the hell do Bongos fit in ??

Never tried one with a piezo but also never seen the need for it - the Stingray tone's the Stingray tone for me.

Did you like the one you played?

If you're in the market for one, it's a great time to buy as 2nd hand prices are very low. You can get a nice one for £600 at the mo.

I'm not sure what difference the piezo makes, it's pretty subtle but some people like them, some people don't. Try a couple more out if you can. The difference between the sterling and the ray is, as you said, the body shape (smaller), coil switching, thinner, jazz-like neck, and the pickups use different pickups, i believe the rays have ceramic pickups and the sterlings use alnico, but they still sound pretty much the same tbh.

Bongos apparently sound like a ray but beefier and a lot more flexible because of that 18V preamp.

If you like a p-bass neck get a ray, if you like a jazz neck get a sterling, and if you want something uber different but essentially still the same sound, get a bongo.

I'll be in the market for a sterling myself around christmas time, i wanted a jazz because of the looks and the neck but i realised i didn't want anything other than that musicman sound, so i'mma get me a nice looking sterling :)

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='224112' date='Jun 22 2008, 01:04 PM']Did you like the one you played?[/quote]

Yeah, absolutely loved it. I hate playing basses in shops, if you get the chance to play it live at full volume through a decent rig that's when you get an idea of what a bass is really like.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='224122' date='Jun 22 2008, 01:18 PM']Bongos apparently sound like a ray but beefier and a lot more flexible because of that 18V preamp.

If you like a p-bass neck get a ray, if you like a jazz neck get a sterling, and if you want something uber different but essentially still the same sound, get a bongo.[/quote]

+1

the piezo versions have the lovely metal flake finnish though.
Stingray has the stingray tone, unmistakable, stirling has the smaller neck and not as beefy, but still sound great. and the bongo... well, ill tell you tomorrow when mine turns up. Supposedly have a lot more tone variation, 4eq and im getting the HS version with the humbucker and the jazz type pickup.

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='224134' date='Jun 22 2008, 01:27 PM']+1 on that.

I think Stingrays also benefit from really a good set-up. Every one I play seems to play better than mine does![/quote]

Strange that, I have the opersite, every ray I play doesnt match up to how nice mine is, I think I dropped on a really good one. everyone whos played it says the same.

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='224132' date='Jun 22 2008, 01:25 PM']+1

the piezo versions have the lovely metal flake finnish though.
Stingray has the stingray tone, unmistakable, stirling has the smaller neck and not as beefy, but still sound great. and the bongo... well, ill tell you tomorrow when mine turns up. Supposedly have a lot more tone variation, 4eq and im getting the HS version with the humbucker and the jazz type pickup.[/quote]
You can get any model in the metal flake/sparkle finishes, you can order pretty much anything you want direct from musicman if you go through a dealer. Also grats on the bongo man :)

You're right though, when you get a good setup on them, they play like absolute butter, i have the action as low as it can go on my SUB and it feels amazing :huh:

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='budget bassist' post='224184' date='Jun 22 2008, 02:53 PM']You can get any model in the metal flake/sparkle finishes, you can order pretty much anything you want direct from musicman if you go through a dealer. Also grats on the bongo man :)[/quote]

Thanks and.... Nooooooooooooooooo

Dont tell me you can get normal 'ray in metal flake. Ive spent £1400 IN 2 DAYS on stuff I dont really need. Altho the bongo is gonna sound lush thru my new rig :huh:

If you give me gas im gonna find where you live!!!

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='224205' date='Jun 22 2008, 03:32 PM']Thanks and.... Nooooooooooooooooo

Dont tell me you can get normal 'ray in metal flake. Ive spent £1400 IN 2 DAYS on stuff I dont really need. Altho the bongo is gonna sound lush thru my new rig :huh:

If you give me gas im gonna find where you live!!![/quote]
Haha sorry :huh:

If it's any consolation i'm going to have to wait until christmas to settle my gas down :)

This one is utterly stunning :)

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Music-Man-Stingray-4-Limited-Edition-Sequoia-Gold_W0QQitemZ310061292877QQihZ021QQcategoryZ159950QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]Musicman Stingray[/url]

[quote name='far0n' post='224834' date='Jun 23 2008, 11:12 AM']This one is utterly stunning :)

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Music-Man-Stingray-4-Limited-Edition-Sequoia-Gold_W0QQitemZ310061292877QQihZ021QQcategoryZ159950QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]Musicman Stingray[/url][/quote]
erm have you seen the hideous 12th fret?!

I've owned 3 MM's for my sins.
First up a 1990 Ray4H 2EQ, good classic 'cut-thru' Ray tone and P bass type neck. AlNiCo pups.
Sold this to buy a Sterling (2004). Smaller - but mine wasn't lighter, also had a more aggresive tone (Ceramic Pups). Neck was to die for - out Jazzed the Jazz.
Sold this because I didn't like the tone or balance.
Now on a 3EQ 2005 Ray4H. A bit lighter that the first 2 and to my ears doesn't sound that much different to the 3EQ tho there is some difference of opinion that the 2EQ is much better - I personally didn't find that. Cuts thru like a mutha and hopefully I won't allow GAS pangs to make me sell this one.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='224226' date='Jun 22 2008, 04:20 PM']Haha sorry :huh:

If it's any consolation i'm going to have to wait until christmas to settle my gas down :)[/quote]

Im quite happy with my Ray, and I cant wait till tomorrow to get my bongo, its a gold which kinda sparkles anyways.. Although the White Sparkle is to die for.

OMG!!!!!!!!!!
That link above to the new limited Ray.....

ALL GOLD HARDWARE!!! omg even the pickups bits are gold.
I have to say thats the first Stingray I havent liked. Dont get me started on the gash 12th fret, surely after last years 2007 12th fret in blue dawn they should have learnt it looks terrible.

gold hardware is never classy imo, like never, always looks cheap, if a chav ever played bass....

black hardware is always gunna look more classy and stylish

the 12th fret thing again, imo, looks so sh*te and cheap, im so glad that my blue dawn is a 2001 bass, and not the 2007 with such a marking on 12th fret :)

[quote name='BassManKev' post='225431' date='Jun 23 2008, 10:15 PM']gold hardware is never classy imo, like never, always looks cheap, if a chav ever played bass....

the 12th fret thing again, imo, looks so sh*te and cheap, im so glad that my blue dawn is a 2001 bass, and not the 2007 with such a marking on 12th fret :)[/quote]

Plus the one!

Hi all, I have a bit of a thing for musicman basses, and for me there's nothing like them...

Keep your eye out for an early/ mid 90's stingray, some of the maple used on the necks is incredible, and if
you can find one with a one piece natural boby, all the better.

If you find a ray neck a bit of a stretch.. a sterling might be the way to go

Bongo's ...... 24 frets, 4 band usable eq.. use it onstage and you get noticed.

All are to die for if you get the right one, but you'll rarely get a bad one...

[quote name='BassManKev' post='225431' date='Jun 23 2008, 10:15 PM']gold hardware is never classy imo, like never, always looks cheap, if a chav ever played bass....

the 12th fret thing again, imo, looks so sh*te and cheap, im so glad that my blue dawn is a 2001 bass, and not the 2007 with such a marking on 12th fret :)[/quote]
I think gold hardware looks pretty nice on the right bass, EG that one. I've always thought black hardware looked pretty cheap and tacky tbh. I think chrome is pretty timeless though, nobody ever complains about chrome.

Also +1 on the 90's necks looking amazing, there's some AMAZING birdseye/flame going on with those like you wouldn't believe!