Why become a member? ×

Musicman - help and advice

far0n

[quote name='budget bassist' post='225542' date='Jun 24 2008, 12:24 AM']I think gold hardware looks pretty nice on the right bass, EG that one.[b] I've always thought black hardware looked pretty cheap and tacky tbh.[/b] I think chrome is pretty timeless though, nobody ever complains about chrome.

Also +1 on the 90's necks looking amazing, there's some AMAZING birdseye/flame going on with those like you wouldn't believe![/quote]
how so?? gold seems to be used alot on cheaper basses to try n make it look classy, which for me does the absolute opposite, whereas black is less common on cheaper basses, and when used on a black bass or bass with black elements on, it looks absolute sterling. gold looks okay on gold basses, but you dont see many of those, and i think otherwise it just looks a bit tacky. but ye iv never heard anyone describe black as cheap and tacky before...i guess you think your toby pro is tacky then?? coz i think it looks class on your bass

all in our opinions anyways

Edited by BassManKev

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='225545' date='Jun 24 2008, 12:34 AM']power of ten, is the white Bongo in your sig my old 4HS? does Stranraer and an Asat semi-hollow mean anything to you? my apologies if it wasnt you. anyway great collection of EBMMs you have :)[/quote]

Dub.... how are you dude?... Yes nice to hear from you again... actually mailed EB customer services about the paint finish on the bongo, and it turns out that it was a problem and you cant get the white bongo any more....

How you getting on with the ASAT

Its a small old world

I usually hate gold hardware (I'm always too scruffy-looking for gold hardware) but on that bass I like it! Yeah the 12th fret inlay is terrible, but the rest of the bass looks cool. Reminds me of the daleks when Doctor Who first got shot in colour.

Back to the issue at hand: I think the piezo is more useful on fretless 'rays. Never really felt like I'd need one on a fretted model, but on my fretless would be nice to have one.

Funnily I was speaking to the guy from EB yesterday, I like the Piezo mod, unfortunatley you can't get it as an aftermarket mod, and new it up's the price of the bass by about £285. So I guess you have to ask yourself if it's something you're likely to use.

The Piezo on the Yamaha TRB5P is incredible, but I guess that's a bass that's designed to be more versatile, whereas you buy a 'ray because you want a 'ray sound.

[/quote]

[quote name='BassManKev' post='225546' date='Jun 24 2008, 12:35 AM']how so?? gold seems to be used alot on cheaper basses to try n make it look classy, which for me does the absolute opposite, whereas black is less common on cheaper basses, and when used on a black bass or bass with black elements on, it looks absolute sterling. gold looks okay on gold basses, but you dont see many of those, and i think otherwise it just looks a bit tacky. but ye iv never heard anyone describe black as cheap and tacky before...i guess you think your toby pro is tacky then?? coz i think it looks class on your bass

all in our opinions anyways[/quote]

IMO Good quality gold hardware (aka the MM above) works, cheep&nasty doesn't...same to be said for black hardware!

I got shafted when I bought a full set of black hardware for a customized Vintage I'm sorting out for my Better Half, looks naff as F**k, but gold makes it pop!

Personal choice etc etc, but I have to admit the black pots on my MM (2007natural ash, maple neck& black pickguard) are the dogs bollocks...wouldn't change 'em for ANYTHING else!

[quote name='BassManKev' post='227981' date='Jun 27 2008, 01:10 PM']very pretty, the idea of stickin a black pickguard on that is makin me rigid....[/quote]

How's about getting it Sim LED'd, nice alternate red and white ? :)

[quote name='BassManKev' post='225546' date='Jun 24 2008, 12:35 AM']how so?? gold seems to be used alot on cheaper basses to try n make it look classy, which for me does the absolute opposite, whereas black is less common on cheaper basses, and when used on a black bass or bass with black elements on, it looks absolute sterling. gold looks okay on gold basses, but you dont see many of those, and i think otherwise it just looks a bit tacky. but ye iv never heard anyone describe black as cheap and tacky before...i guess you think your toby pro is tacky then?? coz i think it looks class on your bass

all in our opinions anyways[/quote]
Actually yeah, the hardware on my toby is really cheap and crappy and my old stagg had hardware of a similar quality in black and since then black hardware has just struck me as cheap. It can look ok on some things but i prefer chrome or gold. I think a nice looking gold can look nice, but i prefer it to be in contrast with the colour of the bass, like on that sequioa gold (more brown than anything) MM or on black guitars like a les paul custom or something. that's just me though, i do agree gold can look tacky in some applications though, on particularly cheap basses or if it's a cheap looking gold. But for me chrome is the way forward, it's just so clean and neutral looking and looks good 9 times out of 10.

also sweet bass far0n, i think a white ice PG on that would look sweet :)
Actually what is that? The dark headstock suggests it's a SUB, but the paint on the body suggests it's a ray, unless it's a ray with a status neck? or maybe a cutlass?

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='budget bassist' post='228180' date='Jun 27 2008, 05:15 PM']Actually yeah, the hardware on my toby is really cheap and crappy and my old stagg had hardware of a similar quality in black and since then black hardware has just struck me as cheap. It can look ok on some things but i prefer chrome or gold. I think a nice looking gold can look nice, but i prefer it to be in contrast with the colour of the bass, like on that sequioa gold (more brown than anything) MM or on black guitars like a les paul custom or something. that's just me though, i do agree gold can look tacky in some applications though, on particularly cheap basses or if it's a cheap looking gold. But for me chrome is the way forward, it's just so clean and neutral looking and looks good 9 times out of 10.

also sweet bass far0n, i think a white ice PG on that would look sweet :huh:
Actually what is that? The dark headstock suggests it's a SUB, but the paint on the body suggests it's a ray, unless it's a ray with a status neck? or maybe a cutlass?[/quote]

It's a 2004 limited edition model, in radiance red with black headstock...or so the serial number says anyway :)

Edited by far0n