Why become a member? ×

Going back to passive

badboy1984

I had my Fender Classic 60 jazz bass for over 6-7 years now (can't remember how long). The bass have J-Retro fitted 5-6 years ago and Dimarzio DP123 pickup.

For some reason i like the passive tone more then active now. I'm not saying the john east preamp is bad but i think i've change.

Thinking about replacing the DP123 pickup to a set of Fender original jazz pickup and replace the J-Retro with the standard jazz plate with 3 basic volume/volume/tone setup instead.

Is this a bad move or consider as downgrade? I did think about leave the J-Retro and swap the pickup instead.

Great idea - a lot of people prefer the passive sound. If it was me I'd fit a decent passive wiring kit to your existing (excellent) DP123's & see how you like what that gives you, I think you'll like it :rolleyes:

Definitely the low cost option, then if you're not happy you can think about different pick ups.

If i fit a passive kit on my bass and i like it, the j-retro can go which probably sell more then the passive kit i guess? lol

Another thing it kinda bugs me but is more of a appearance thing i guess but i could be wrong.

The pickup on my bass was fitted up side down. The writing on the pickup is pointing towards the neck instead of the bridge (if you know what i mean). This don't affect the tone i guess?

I think i will experiment with the passive control with the Dimarzio DP123 first. If i don't like it then i may look into another pickup instead :)

The reason i like to go back to passive is the more control i have on the bass the more messing around i will do ......

Thats why i like my passive p bass so much i guess lol.

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1382622285' post='2254537']
I like passive, I like active, I like humbucker , I like single coil. All have their advantages and disadvantages and their own character.
[/quote]

Me too .

A strictly passive Jazz Bass has its' own distinct character though , and has an enduring appeal because of that . I would try keeping the Di Marzio's , though. They are great sounding pickups with plenty of beef and no hum , and you may find going from the J Retro / Di Marzio combination to a passive bass with stock Fender pickups a bit weedy-sounding by comparison .

Ah... I've tried this... I have a 62 Jazz defretted and J-Retroed with DiMazio model J's... went back to passive, lost all my bottom end.

Passive just didn't have any balls to it...

I've lost the stock pups but I can't see them making a huge difference ie better than the DiMazio's.

Keeping it active now and using my P basses for awkward sound situations.

[quote name='bh2' timestamp='1382624838' post='2254587']
....went back to passive, lost all my bottom end.....Passive just didn't have any balls to it....
[/quote]

You must have had a problem with the pickups, electrics or wiring.

I've had Bartolini's and custom SD's in my passive basses and they both had huge bass tone.

[quote name='bh2' timestamp='1382624838' post='2254587']
Ah... I've tried this... I have a 62 Jazz defretted and J-Retroed with DiMazio model J's... went back to passive, lost all my bottom end.

Passive just didn't have any balls to it...

I've lost the stock pups but I can't see them making a huge difference ie better than the DiMazio's.

Keeping it active now and using my P basses for awkward sound situations.
[/quote]

Sounds like you just need to turn up the input gain on your amp.

At the risk of repeating myself I can't see much advantage in the standard style on board pre-amp unless either the controls on your amp are very limited in function (in which case you've probably not got the right amp for your sound) or you favour very long leads for connecting your bass to the next item in your signal chain.

Yes... I get your drift. I tend to eq my amp flat across the board, especially if It's the backline rig for the night.

I can dial in an almost unlimited range of sounds from the J-Retro. I usually go for an almost sub bass noise type thing.

I like both my basses passive at low volumes far better .... and you can understand why most people go this route on big stages with rigs.

The option of active is worthwhile but in an ideal world I would go passive 99% of the time.
Just sounds more balanced and better, IMO.....

I just treat each bass as it comes. Heard great passive and active basses, and bad active and passive basses. Like Lowend said, all sorts of basses have their place.

Some setups benefit from having an active bass, like wanting to use a long cable without anything buffering.

I currently have a TL Audio valve Mic Pre/DI box feeding a Matrix power amp as my setup and the EQ is on my bass (although it's mostly left flat). Wouldn't really work that well with a passive bass, but both mine are active.

I think the best thing for me is to change the bass to passive first and try it out for a week or two then decide whether i should pop the j-retro back on or sell it.

The reason for this is, everytime when i try a jazz bass in a store, either is a expensive fender, G&L or cheap squier, it always sound nice. They all passive bass.

It just make me wondering thats all.