Why become a member? ×

Easy, yet impressive slapping?

AndyBob09

Ok, so I've got an audition for a cruise ship agency tomorrow at 2pm - One of the phone/Skype audition things.

Anyway, they've told me there'll be sight reading which they'll send 30 mins in advance and they've told me they want to hear Billie Jean, Play That Funky Music, an example of slapping and anything else I decide I want to throw in.

The only this is, I have NO slap chops I can slap disco octaves but I think they want more than this? Is there a specific disco type tune I could play to show some slap chops?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers!

I was asked to do a gig by a drummer once, his first question was "do you play slap", I said a little, but its not really part of what I do, however I knew lots of great players who do and I'll put him in contact.
He then proceeded to say "oh we just want someone funky". I did the gig, no slap necessary, funky show.
Often people don't know what they're talking about.
Disco octaves, single popped accents within fingerstyle lines, they'll be happy enough.

Si

Thanks for all the suggestions here guys.

In the end, I remembered that I had the slap chorus to Paul Simon's "Diamonds on the soles of her shoes" down pretty well. I played them that and some slap disco octaves. I figured the disco octaves would be more what they'd be after on the gig.

Slap done well isn't that easy... but you may be able to convince if they don't know what they are talking about. Most basses players don't have much of a take on it
and are stuck in the same vien as the style they learnt from.
There is a whole host of variations of slap style IMO, so they aren't likely to be that clued up...
the gtr will delight in showing you his slap chops anyway, so anything that can move the track
well will be enough... Nobody wants a solo over a groove all the time. so a tasty fill in bar 24 is the extent of it.
And if they say funky and mean slap... well, you might not want to join them in that case :lol: :lol:

Anyway, did you get it?