Why become a member? ×

Fender MP Starcaster Semi-Hollow Bass

Musicman20

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1383255858' post='2262347']

There's nothing to be snobbish about until you've played one. Presumably you don't have a problem owning any of the tablets or computers on the market right now? Got a MacBook?

I'm looking forward to challenging the QC perception with the new Starcaster. Increasingly it means little if nothing at all, I'll own both American made and Chinese made basses so I'll be able to make an informed decision hopefully! We'll see.
[/quote]

Or an amp made in Taiwan ;)

Maybe I'm of a pasture of where a real fender should be made.

I realise it's a silly notion, but I can hear the echoes of "but it's made in china". Your right, it's not a bad thing, but now to me it's just a squier with fender written on it.

It just continues to perpetuate the confusion of the brand as a whole. It's maybe the same reason why I won't spend the sums sellers ask fir on a JV squier, no matter how much I want one. My bass is a Japanese one, I paid £350 for it.

Regardless, my main issue is that it looks vile.
As much as this indie hipster crap might be 'in' I'll still be playing band nights were the most popular bass is either an Ibanez or a squier P bass affinity.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1383302020' post='2262763']
Anti-Chinese bass sentiments? What is this, Talkbass?
[/quote]

I read some of that stuff. Some people over there truly have their heads jammed firmly up their arses!

On the flip side, Justin Meldal Johnson, producer and session extraordinaire has reported very good things about the Starcaster having used it with M83 live. I'm choosing to trust the man's opinion over the people who haven't touched the bass yet but are still passing opinion on it.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1383302020' post='2262763']
Anti-Chinese bass sentiments? What is this, Talkbass?
[/quote]

That's rather simplifying my arguement which isn't my main focus at all. its a disgusting looking thing.

However, I find it weird to pay the sum they are asking when I can easily get something cheaper, made in the same region or not, and it just be as good, if not better. If it's worse, for whatever reason, it's not hard with the left over change to make it substantially better.

I don't think they've been out long enough, but the secondhand market will be the teller of how much value these really have.

All in all I could care less about where it's made, I'd have any bass from anywhere providing I like it.

And I hate this one.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1383303083' post='2262788']
That's rather simplifying my arguement which isn't my main focus at all. its a disgusting looking thing.

However, I find it weird to pay the sum they are asking when I can easily get something cheaper, made in the same region or not, [b]and it just be as good, if not better.[/b] If it's worse, for whatever reason, it's not hard with the left over change to make it substantially better.

I don't think they've been out long enough, but the secondhand market will be the teller of how much value these really have.

All in all I could care less about where it's made, I'd have any bass from anywhere providing I like it.

And I hate this one.
[/quote]

[b]Tsk, assumptions.[/b]

Well, my real beef was with the fact that you obliquely referred to me as an indie hipster, seeing as I like the thing. Not that I'm entirely sure what that means, but seeing as you associated the term with a bass you so vehemently loathe, I can only assume it is pejorative ;)

Edited by neepheid

I think its a gorgeous looking thing, and I'm personally glad that Fender aren't making yet another slightly different Precision or Jazz bass.
I personally don't care where its made either, I've seen and heard of plenty badly assembled, poorly finished Fenders come out of America, "made in China" doesn't speak of the quality of a product, instruments have been getting made there for decades.
This thing is about £700, right? When I first saw it I expected it to be over £1000.

I'm looking forward to trying Matt's at the Moffat Bass Bash next year after he gives in and buys one :)

Okay, the condensed story is this: I received the bass on Tuesday morning, and it got returned today.

Looked nice, played fine, sounded completely lacklustre to my ears. A shame but I'm glad I took a punt, it was completely uninspiring for me to play. It's the quickest turnaround of an instrument I've ever owned!

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1383846759' post='2269957']
Okay, the condensed story is this: I received the bass on Tuesday morning, and it got returned today.

Looked nice, played fine, sounded completely lacklustre to my ears. A shame but I'm glad I took a punt, it was completely uninspiring for me to play. It's the quickest turnaround of an instrument I've ever owned!
[/quote]

That`s a shame Liam, still your observations have now removed these from my GAS list.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1383943570' post='2271210']
That`s a shame Liam, still your observations have now removed these from my GAS list.
[/quote]

I'd still recommend trying them out Lozz as they might well be your thing but unfortunately they didn't suit me at all for a variety of reasons. A shame but you live and learn!

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1383947371' post='2271269']
I'd still recommend trying them out Lozz as they might well be your thing but unfortunately they didn't suit me at all for a variety of reasons. A shame but you live and learn!
[/quote]

I agree. I love my Coronado, but on paper it's a bass I would've never have given house room. At the end of the day you need to try for yourself.