Why become a member? ×

Fender MP Starcaster Semi-Hollow Bass

Musicman20

It,ll be fine,nobody notices bass players.
Lovely bass and if it,s as good as the original guitars then it will be a belter.
Black one looks good with the maple.Anybody thinking Darkstars in there or a couple of Ricky pick ups
Here,s a quote-"good band that,have you seen them before"
I think it will be good through your Orange terror.

I played one yesterday!
Really nice, the short scale feels good, barley noticeable
We'll made, frets were finished well and good fit in neck pocket. I had a good look over the body and no problems there, bridge is substantial, badass type
Tuners look a bit cheap but they work fine
Good range of sounds from it, it had rounds on it and I was impressed, tried it with fingers and a pick, it has a bit of bite with a pick and nice deep tones are there when you want them with a nice even response across all strings

I would have bought this there and then but just spent a lot of ££, so had to hold back, would have been great for my bands acoustic set and probably in the regular set we do as a change from my jazz

Tony

Fender have not done a hard case for it yet and I suspect the slightly offset body would make it difficult to find something
I would have just used my mono bag

Reading through earlier posts, yes the bottom of the headstock is carved with a slither of black paint, I like the headstock!

Tony

[quote name='sshorepunk' timestamp='1382173260' post='2248843']
Fender have not done a hard case for it yet and I suspect the slightly offset body would make it difficult to find something
I would have just used my mono bag

Reading through earlier posts, yes the bottom of the headstock is carved with a slither of black paint, I like the headstock!

Tony
[/quote]

Does it fit the Mono?

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1381828957' post='2244161']
I'm still interested in one of these...I just can't be bothered to sort a case for it, which is putting me off haha!
[/quote]

Likewise, I travel a lot abroad and with a semi-hollow I'd worry more, bring something substantial out Fender and I'm all over the cherry burst!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1383228157' post='2261821']
Ahh well I've just ordered the Cherry Burst one, in Sweden right now gigging so it'll be with me next week when I arrive home. Will post first impressions and that!
[/quote]

Look forward to hearing these Liam, really like the look of these basses.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1383235981' post='2261964']
I think it looks ridiculous myself.
Cant see why they are liked so much, maybe I'm not of that "age"
[/quote]

I'm 24, I'm a sucker for vintage style gear though. They seem to be marketing them to a younger crowd for whatever reason, presumably to hit the alternative hipster side of the market so perhaps you actually represent a minority. I'm going to use it for most music I play if it suits.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1383228922' post='2261841']
I had a plunk on one of these in Windows in Newcastle at the weekend.

It was quite lovely, but - surprisingly - bloody heavy.

I would never have guessed it was Chinese had I not spotted the sticker on the back of the headstock.
[/quote]

There is a right slab of Alder in them which makes the weight.

[/quote]
[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1383236429' post='2261975']
I'm 24, I'm a sucker for vintage style gear though. They seem to be marketing them to a younger crowd for whatever reason, presumably to hit the alternative hipster side of the market so perhaps you actually represent a minority. I'm going to use it for most music I play if it suits.
[/quote]

Kind-of reminds me of when Brit-Pop was about, many of the bands suddenly all seemed to be using 335s. I like the look of these basses, but the sound-clip is what really gets it for me, think they sound great.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1383246742' post='2262175']

Kind-of reminds me of when Brit-Pop was about, many of the bands suddenly all seemed to be using 335s. I like the look of these basses, but the sound-clip is what really gets it for me, think they sound great.
[/quote]

Aye me too! Looking forward to getting hold of it.

[quote name='risingsonestamp='13832329' post='2261975']

im 24, I'm a sucker for vintage style gear though. They seem to be marketing them to a younger crowd for whaalso r reason, presumably to hit the alternative hipster side of the market so perhaps you actually represent a minority. I'm going to use it for most music I play if it suits.
[/quote]

I'm 24, I don't mind the hollow bodied vintage stuff, the other one that's out that's symmetric looks nice, black headstuck in red yum. My guitar is a 335 dot derivative, I love the jack casady bass and the dean cabbie too.

But this, it's shambolic. It looks like someone made a bass using a melted picture of a 335as inspiration. Like a weird indie copy that has an offset body the wrong way.

I also question the chinese origin. Im a bit of snob when it comes to place of manufacture, but I'm sure as hell not going to spend that kind of mullah in a Chinese instrument when there are possibly hundreds fir around £200

Edit- on my phone hence poor usage of language and typing ability

Edited by Prime_BASS

[/quote]
Age?!! Haha. It has nothing to do with age, but the trend is indie bands at the moment...hipsters everywhere.

I really like it.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1383252922' post='2262304']

I'm 24, I don't mind the hollow bodied vintage stuff, the other one that's out that's symmetric looks nice, black headstuck in red yum. My guitar is a 335 dot derivative, I love the jack casady bass and the dean cabbie too.

But this, it's shambolic. It looks like someone made a bass using a melted picture of a 335as inspiration. Like a weird indie copy that has an offset body the wrong way.

I also question the chinese origin. Im a bit of snob when it comes to place of manufacture, but I'm sure as hell not going to spend that kind of mullah in a Chinese instrument when there are possibly hundreds fir around £200

Edit- on my phone hence poor usage of language and typing ability
[/quote]

There's nothing to be snobbish about until you've played one. Presumably you don't have a problem owning any of the tablets or computers on the market right now? Got a MacBook?

I'm looking forward to challenging the QC perception with the new Starcaster. Increasingly it means little if nothing at all, I'll own both American made and Chinese made basses so I'll be able to make an informed decision hopefully! We'll see.