Why become a member? ×

Coronado Corner

Billy Apple

Magic. Thanks for sharing that. Apparently mine doesn't get here until 10th dec. In the meantime I'll get a set of those LaBellas. You couldn't give the guitar a quick measure for me at some point could you please? The overall length and widest body should be enough to go along with. It seems Fender aren't going to produce a hard case for it so I want to start the hunt early for a decent one before I take delivery!

[quote name='Baxter' timestamp='1382016168' post='2246712']
You couldn't give the guitar a quick measure for me at some point could you please?
[/quote]

The length is 116 cm (body 45 cm, neck 71 cm). It is 42 cm at its widest point. The head stock is 14 cm at widest including tuner, 23.5 cm from nut to end. Nut 4.2 cm and 6 cm at the 17th fret. It was hard for me to judge depth, but I reckon 9 cm from top of bridge to back of body.

Hope this helps :)

Good afternoon, Bill Apple (or may I call you William..?)...

Very nice 'old school' bass, just as it should be. I understand the exhilaration felt playing these (mine's a vintage Verithin; somewhat similar 'vibes'...). I'm not going to approve those 'lucky dice', of course; 'witches hats' are the way to go, but I suppose youth will out. Much like a hot-rodded '50s Chevrolet pickup outside a texan bar, maybe.
If you're gigging her (I would hope so...), I would suggest the obtaining of a hard case become a priority; it would be a shame to damage such a cool instrument, although, over time, scuffs, swirls and crackling varnish only add to the 'mojo', imho.
Good to see appreciation of this style, anyway. When I become rich (it's been a long time coming, so far..!), a Jack Casady Signature will be one of my 'dream basses' to be got, but the Coronado is now firmly added to the list. Nice one, Sean...

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1382192362' post='2249112']
I'm not going to approve those 'lucky dice', of course; 'witches hats' are the way to go, but I suppose youth will out. Much like a hot-rodded '50s Chevrolet pickup outside a texan bar, maybe.
[/quote]

I'd be the first to admit the dice are marmite, but I love them, and I'm in good company..

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1382215080' post='2249485']
I'd be the first to admit the dice are marmite, but I love them, and I'm in good company...[/quote]

...and I'll be the first to admit to having [i]very [/i]poor taste, myself (...or at least until the 'Norse' fashion comes around full circle; I'll then be hailed as 'in'..! :lol: )

Thanks very much. it looks ss though Spider list one that will fit by a small margin. they list it under Dean case. either that or another custom one. I used Gothard ladt time and its ok but id rather have a genuine one. BTW did you buy the gigbag ir is a fender one supplied with the instrument- in case the shop tries to scam me!

Edited by Baxter

Thanks very much. it looks ss though Spuder list one that will fit by a small margin. they list it under Dean case. either that or another custom one. I used Gothard ladt time and its ok but id rather have a genuine one. BTW did you buy the gigbag ir is a fender one supplied with the instrument- in case the shop tries to scam me!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1381746245' post='2243005']
No hard case. It came with a gig bag. I'd prefer a hard case, but don't know if there are any fitted ones out there.
[/quote]

Did you see this;

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/fender-coronado-hard-case-1045067/

[quote name='wingum' timestamp='1390480657' post='2345831']
By the way, how does the balance feel? I tried a Gibson Midtown the other day. Great playability and sound, but hte neck felt a bit heavy even if it didn't dive. I guess this easily becomes an issue on hollowbodies.
[/quote]
The Midtown is 34" scale so, compared to the Coronado at 30" scale, it is more likely to be neck heavy.

The Coronado is surprisingly heavy for a hollow body - the centre block must be quite substantial - but I didn't play it on a strap.

• 2 months later...

I finally got my 3 color sunburst sample delivered last week.

What can I say... - wow! It just feels great to play, sounds fantastic!

Not the best first impression when I opened the package, as the jack input was floating around inside the body. However, that was a quick fix, and after a setup (had to adjust the action and intonate it) it now plays like a dream. Did first try the rounds that were on, and the bass absolutely played fine with these. However, when I put LaBella flats on it really sounded like I wanted to. I guess this bass can be used with both string types with success depending on the application.

Had a rehearsal with my acoustic trio yesterday, and it did fit in perfectly.

Have a feeling that the pickguard will go off, as that looks a little bit cheap to me. As well do the knobs. Any good tip on better looking knobs?

I also think this bass deserves a hard case.

• 5 months later...