Why become a member? ×

Coronado Corner

Billy Apple

Hi,

Just caught up on this thread.
Great to see the Cherryburst (pg or not). Congrats.

I've used mine for a couple of gigs now and I'm one happy bunny.
Previously, I've always struggled with semi-acoustics due to their body size, neck balance and high action but I find these Coronado's very nice to play plus....it's the first time anyone in the crowd has come up to me to say how nice my bass looked:)
cheers,
Jim

For the last few days my cab has had a vibration on the open E. I've been trying to get to the bottom of the rattle in the cab, but tonight I've found it is coming from the bass. If I pluck the E unplugged I can hear the vibration coming from the body, and it is transferring into the amp[size=4]. Everything seems very solid. No loose screws or hardware on the outside. The pups are very stable, and the vibration does not change when they are prodded. The only thing I can think it must be is a wire inside that is rattling against [/size]something [size=4]on the open E frequency, and it's the only note it happens with. I can poke a couple of wires through the f holes, but no joy. Looks like it might be going back to the shop to get this sorted. :([/size]

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1381132490' post='2234596']
Tortoise shell!?
Jeez Mark, how come you can exercise such good taste over your own bass, but you're determined to draw a c*ck over mine? :P :lol:
[/quote]

I'm eliminating the competition! :D

Hope you get the vibration sorted, by the way. That's a right pain in the arse. :mellow:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1381265960' post='2236812']
I'm eliminating the competition! :D

Hope you get the vibration sorted, by the way. That's a right pain in the arse. :mellow:
[/quote]

You see, if it was torty it would all be red against a red background and look like a splurge. Where as my super-cool cream will enhance the cherryliciousness as a sharp counter point. The yin to the yan as it were.

At the vibromiting is a bit of a knark, I just want it to magic itself away.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1381303190' post='2237063']
I've discovered what the vibrating is. It's on the trapeze tail piece as the E string passes through the ferrule. If you push the tail down slightly it disappears. This did not happen with the original strings, just the La Bellas, and all are 45/105's.
[/quote]
A little blue tack in the right place under the tail piece might fix that.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1381345199' post='2237986']
Having looked at it again I'm thinking it's not cherryburst and I still like it.
[/quote]

It's full title is 'Vintage Cherryburst', but whatever it is, its very nice. Thanks for the blue tack tip. It did not do it with the roundwound strings. I'm wondering if it's the string buzzing up against the inside of the ferrule. When I get home I'm going to see if some electrical tape around the base of the string as it's inside the ferrule might help.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1381267013' post='2236837']
You see, if it was torty it would all be red against a red background and look like a splurge. Where as my super-cool cream will enhance the cherryliciousness as a sharp counter point. The yin to the yan as it were.
[/quote]

I was thinking more vintage-style brown tort. It works well on 60s-style sunburst P basses. I'm really not sure about cream. :) What would really do it justice is a nice black guard... oh, wait... :lol:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1381398794' post='2238409']
I'm really not sure about cream. :) What would really do it justice is a nice black guard... oh, wait... :lol:
[/quote]

It's just a question of taste.. I've got it, and you question it! :lol:

I think the cream will contrast lovely with the cherry. Don't forget I'm waiting on some red translucent dice knobs and a cream switch tip, for the whole '50's hot rod look. B)
I'm made up to be finally getting a piece of kit bespoke from the Doc. I've found out he only lives a few miles from where I was born and raised.. and the other day he played one of my local boozers!

I Love This Bass! :D[size=4] [/size]

[size=4]I took it back to Wunjo yesterday and had a set up by Kev who works up in the attic of the guitar shop. All included in the price.. as many as you want for two years!.[/size]
Wow! The neck is bang on, lovely low action and the buzz on the trapeze on the E has gone. He said this was down to putting the flats on and not re-setting up. But he's done a great job, plus he was a really cool dude.
The new SP has arrived from the Doctor and its fits a treat. It doesn't look quite right due to the black knobs being on, so I'll not post up a pic till it's all done.

I'm one very happy chappie :D[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1381771203' post='2243515']
Am back down next Wednesday with work... oooh, could I make it over?!?

I'm liking the look of these new Fenders a lot. Been great to read your positive feedback - beats chuntering about new models or QC issues :lol:
[/quote]

I wish I'd tried the Starcaster just to give an opinion. In terms of style it's not my thing, but it does look really good. There are a couple of bits that the Starcaster has over Coronado, firstly it has a fixed bridge that will avoid the vibrating in the trapeze piece I had (well, had, now it's been set for the La Bellas it's gone, but without the set up I'd be moaning about vibratey Fender trapezes!). You also get individual string height adjustment that is lacking on the Coronado. Also the Starcaster has the strap button on the top horn and should balance a bit better. My button is tight to the neck heel adjacent on the body, and it's a bit of a stuff to get the strap on. I thought this was because you couldn't screw into a hollow body, but the Starcaster must have some kind of block inside the top horn.

As far as QC issues go, I cannot fault one bit about the finish and build quality of this bass. It's finished beautifully and I cannot find a flaw anywhere. You get get this finish on a £2k bass and not feel short changed.

The one thing it did need was a good set up. I think the truss rods are quickly nipped up in the factory before the bass has had time to settle and maybe this is where humps and twists develop in transit through changing temperatures and humidity. Wunjo's tec did a first class job, and he transformed the bass. Not forgetting you get two years worth of this along with the warranty which I reckon is pretty good.