Why become a member? ×

Which way to turn Truss Rod?

CamdenRob

In most cases it's the old "righty tighty, lefty loosey" (looking down from the adjusting side of the tr. If you're unsure as it's a non standard make or model, then look down the neck and take a mental note of the curve then tweak a little and check again you'll be able to see which way it's gone. Obviously if the strings are still on you will know straight away whether or not you are going in the desired direction.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1380182598' post='2221826']
In most cases it's the old "righty tighty, lefty loosey" (looking down from the adjusting side of the tr. If you're unsure as it's a non standard make or model, then look down the neck and take a mental note of the curve then tweak a little and check again you'll be able to see which way it's gone. Obviously if the strings are still on you will know straight away whether or not you are going in the desired direction.
[/quote]

OK cool thanks, I'll give it a whirl tonight,

Rob

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1380182788' post='2221828']
If the fret buzz is on the first few frets then you loosen it, after the 12th you tighten it. No need to loosen the strings, otherwise you'd be at it all day. :)
[/quote]

Its on the first few frets so I should loosen it? Its annoying actually, I just got it back from the gallery last week where they were supposed to have set it up to stop this...

Rob

Edited by CamdenRob

If you have a set of feeler gauges you will at least some idea what relief to dial in as a starting point,

I capo at the first fret, and the depress string at the last fret. Then measure the distance between the string and the 8th fret. I tend to use the 0.015" feeler gauge, which seems to get it about right. Then adjust the action at the bridge after this.

Others might do it differently I guess.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1380182961' post='2221832']
Its on the first few frets so I should loosen it? Its annoying actually, I just got it back from the gallery last week where they were supposed to have set it up to stop this...

Rob
[/quote]

Think I'd take it back to them then...
They really should have sorted it out...

I have heard some say that you shouldn't turn the trussrod adjuster more than
I think it's a 1/4 turn an hour? - The reasoning behind this, was to let the neck "settle"

I've also heard some say you should only adjust it with the strings slackened off,
while others recommend leaving the strings at proper tension....

Just wondering what the accepted wisdom on trussrods actually is?
Any thoughts, stories or advice fellow BC'ers?

Marc

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1380183574' post='2221841']
If you've just paid the gallery to do a set up & fix the problem - & they haven't - I'd get it back to them before trying anything else.
[/quote]

Yeah I think that might be the answer, It was fine when I tested it in the shop then a couple of days later the buzz came back... Maybe I have bigger problems with this bass :blink:

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1380183678' post='2221844']
Yeah I think that might be the answer, It was fine when I tested it in the shop then a couple of days later the buzz came back... Maybe I have bigger problems with this bass :blink:
[/quote]
It could be down to changes in temperature/humidity etc, but if it ain't right - go speak to them about it.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1380183678' post='2221844']
[/quote]

.... maybe the point that a few people have told me, about letting the neck to "settle" is true for some instruments?
I know I used to leave an old bass of mine in a practice room where the temperature was up & down all the time
... played havoc when I had to adjust the trussrod

[quote name='MB1' timestamp='1380185524' post='2221886']
MB1.
I know what I'd be doing!
Phoning the Gallery to tell them to put the kettle on!

P.S
If you mess with it and make it worse any liability the Gallery may be under
goes out the window!.
[/quote]

Yeah that's true... Whilst I'm a bit annoyed they havent sorted it out (although due to the aforementioned temp differences it might not be their fault), I would quite like this opportunity to learn how to do it myself.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1380185243' post='2221872']
Just to clarify. Tightening would make the neck more curved, ie. bring the head forwards and loosening will make the neck flatter?
[/quote]

Other way round! Tighten to increase the rod tension counteracting the strings (head back), loosen to allow the strings pull more (head forward).

[quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1380186450' post='2221907']
Take it back.
[/quote]

This.
But don't be annoyed at them. Some necks are a pain in the butt to set right the first time. As you say it was ok when you collected it last time. They should look into the possibility that it isn't purely a tr issue - could be a slightly rogue fret for example.

[quote name='MB1' timestamp='1380187418' post='2221931']
MB1.
Strangely just reminded me of this tune...
Give it Back The Dickies. (Doh!...Blast from the past!)
[/quote]

And now I am singing that other Dickies blast from the past
"Banana Splits" ;)

Defo take it back - it shouldn't be moving about already

If it's a bog standard neck and you have a low action, then it will often shift slightly with a change in temperature and humidity and it's probably easier to figure out how to alter the truss rod yourself (handy if it happens at a gig). If it's a later Fender model neck, with graphite rods, then it shouldn't shift at all once the action is set. In which case it's best to take it back to The Gallery to find out if there's a problem with it.

OK the right thing to do would have been to take it back however I wanted to try and work out how to do it for myself.

I dug out the tool thingy and gave it a quarter turn to the left (counter clockwise) buzz completely gone now, hopefully it won't come back, if it does I know I've got an issue.

It's a 50th anniversary jazz and I'd rather just play it than keep faffing around with it...

Thanks for the advice though gents, much appreciated.

Rob