Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Stringsdirect now selling Fender necks and bodies.

dave_bass5

Ive just had a mail shot from them and was very pleased to see they now stock these. I can see my Squier CVP body being replaced very soon.......finally.

Necks
[url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/c/957/bodies-necks/necks/"]http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/c/957/bodies-necks/necks/[/url]

Bodies
http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/c/956/bodies-necks/bodies/

Now, correct me if I'm wrong here. But I thought Fender did not sell replacement necks and bodies. But they do allow Fender licensed necks and bodies. Hence Warmoth, Allparts, Mighty Mite etc. But this here is saying genuine Fender? Fender licensed surely?

Plus, where do they get reduced from £600? They're having a giraffe!? Sometimes when I've had a couple of sherbets I'll sit at Warmoth's neck builder and build my ultimate neck, and with all their bells and whistles it come in around £600

(one day I'll press the wrong button and buy the thing)

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1380062553' post='2220471']
£378 for a Mexican Precision body & neck or the whole bass brand new for £483 from Soundslive. Same goes for the US one - £738 for a US body & neck, £869 for the whole thing.
[/quote]
Lol, what's on earth has that got to do with buying a neck or body? No one in their right mind would expected to get a Fender bass cheaper by buying parts over a complete bass.

Interesting.
I live within driving distance. If they're as nice about necks and bodies as they are about strings, perhaps they'd let me choose the nicest body and best fitting neck from stock- and implement my own QC.
Then just add hardware, strings and electrics to taste.
Not cheap, but satisfying, and you'd get exactly what you wanted within Fender specs.

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1380062553' post='2220471']
£378 for a Mexican Precision body & neck or the whole bass brand new for £483 from Soundslive. Same goes for the US one - £738 for a US body & neck, £869 for the whole thing.
[/quote]

Where can you get a US Standard precision for £869? Soundslive have them for £1121, which is a similar price to most other online retailers. I know (from recent personal experience) that it is possible to get them for less than £1k if you shop around, but I've not seen any 2012/2013 models for under £900 new?

Anyway, I agree with the premise, why would you pay this much for parts when a whole instrument is not that much more (and you can try it first, picking the best one etc), be better to buy the whole thing and ebay the bits you don't want.

Costs for custom made parts aren't really comparable IMO, since with Warmoth, USACG, Sims etc will build exactly what you specify, they're not off-the-shelf mass produced parts, so it's understandable that you may pay a premium for that. I guess the MIM parts are comparable with MightyMite, and the US bits comparable with AllParts?

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1380094507' post='2220603']Anyway, I agree with the premise, why would you pay this much for parts when a whole instrument is not that much more (and you can try it first, picking the best one etc), be better to buy the whole thing and ebay the bits you don't want.[/quote]

You've knackered your current neck/body and want a replacement, you're building a parts bass which isn't all Fender, etc. There are plenty of reasons; I don't think the intention is that you might buy the same bits as on a standard model and assemble it yourself. Missing the point really. I'm considering grabbing one of the Mexican bodies and a Status jazz neck.

[quote name='Ziphoblat' timestamp='1380104291' post='2220743']
You've knackered your current neck/body and want a replacement, you're building a parts bass which isn't all Fender, etc. There are plenty of reasons; I don't think the intention is that you might buy the same bits as on a standard model and assemble it yourself. Missing the point really. I'm considering grabbing one of the Mexican bodies and a Status jazz neck.
[/quote]

Exactly. We are talking part's for a bass here, i cant possible imagine buying a whole bass and having to break it down and sell all the other bits off as normal.

As some of you know more about all this than i do can i go off topic and ask if someone could point me in the right direction to getting a Fender spec sunburst body (not bothered too much about what wood), all pre drilled and ready for hardware and a neck, and that is cheaper than the official one? Im all for saving money.

Mega! Now I can make my own Fender from authentic parts complete with a gaping neck pocket , sub-standard fretwork and a mis-aligned bridge and then return it to... myself and ask for a refund or replacement. Genius marketing ploy from Fender. It's the bass manufacturing equivalent of those self-service tills at the supermarket . They act they are doing you a favour but really they are getting you to do their dirty work .

Edited by Dingus