Why become a member? ×

Where's the correct place fora thumb rest on a Jazz?

Jono Bolton

I fancy putting a thumb rest on my Jazz but can't decide where it should go. It's purely for cosmetic reasons, but I don't know where to put it. I'm fairly certain I don't want a "tug bar" i.e under the strings.
Can anyone post some pictures of their Jazz's or something? It's either going to go between the neck pickup and the neck, or above the neck pickup, these seem to be the accepted positions for thumb rests.
Cheers guys!

[quote name='Jase' post='221051' date='Jun 18 2008, 12:40 AM']Is that your bass molan?[/quote]
Nah, just hunted around for a Jazz with a thumbrest in the upper position, lol.

I'm on Blackberry at the moment so can't see the image but if you look at the properties you should be able to trace the linking url and paste it into a browser.

Then backtrack a page and you'll get more info about it.

[quote name='molan' post='221053' date='Jun 18 2008, 12:52 AM']Nah, just hunted around for a Jazz with a thumbrest in the upper position, lol.

I'm on Blackberry at the moment so can't see the image but if you look at the properties you should be able to trace the linking url and paste it into a browser.

Then backtrack a page and you'll get more info about it.[/quote]

It's up for sale in the USA:

[url="http://www.creamcitymusic.com/t-vintage_pg1.aspx"]http://www.creamcitymusic.com/t-vintage_pg1.aspx[/url]

No prices listed though for this '74 that I can see but they have a '76 at $3,900 so not exactly a bargain basement kinda shop!

Hmmm, I kinda asked a similar question about thumb rests recently. I decided in the end not to use a thumb rest at all, but anchor my thumb on the top of the neck. I've changed that since and now use a pick as I prefer the cleaner sound I get. :)

[quote name='chris_b' post='221175' date='Jun 18 2008, 10:13 AM']Only a suggestion, but why don't you just stick your thumb on either of the pickup covers?[/quote]

Because I don't plan on using it, but I like the way they look. I mainly use a pick to play, so it's just a cosmetics thing.

[quote name='backwater' post='221333' date='Jun 18 2008, 12:58 PM']I bought a Fender thumbrest recently and it came with this useful diagram for the Precision and Jazz basses :

[attachment=9750:thumbrest.jpg]

Hope this is useful

Andy :)[/quote]

Very, thanks Andy!

I think the most important line on that is.....

"the actual location os at the owners discretion"

Meaning, put it wherte you like it/want it. there is no right or wrong.

If its purely for aesthetics why not put it where they were originally put, below the G string, and use it as a talking point.

If you play with a pick then probably the correct place for the thumb rest is in the bin.

Or alternatively in a box along with the bridge and pick-up covers, the string mutes and that funny strap button that was on the back of the headstock and all the associate screws, safe for putting back on the bass when you're going to sell it...

;-)

[quote name='The Burpster' post='221601' date='Jun 18 2008, 06:22 PM']I think the most important line on that is.....

"the actual location os at the owners discretion"

Meaning, put it wherte you like it/want it. there is no right or wrong.

If its purely for aesthetics why not put it where they were originally put, below the G string, and use it as a talking point.[/quote]

+1......think I'll put mine on too...give me something else to gaze lovingly at :)

[quote name='jono b' post='221644' date='Jun 18 2008, 07:00 PM']That's true, it'll be completely pointless, but I reckon it completes the look really. Reckon it's gonna between the neck and the pickup if I take the plunge and get one. It does mean drilling the bass though :)[/quote]

er yeah, last thing you want to do is just try and screw into the wood. the word splitting comes to mind.

personally i've always just used the pickup to rest me thumb on.

if you are going to do it find some old photos of P basses and go with that. authentisity and all that