Why become a member? ×

Help! I don't know what to do

Jimryan

So, as most of you know, I got my new squier jazz, and I intend on modifying it. I've looked at my accounts, and have £400 for the time being for parts.

Do I:

A) buy the status neck and a few pints

B ) buy all of the hardware and pickups

C) buy a squier reissue Bass vi after trying one on Friday and having G.A.S all weekend and some of the hardware

I just don't know what to do.

Edited by Jimryan

Mainly the fun of it. Buy a squier and make it to how I want. It's either that or shell out a few thousand on a custom. It's a process I quite enjoy.

Plus, by buying a complete squier, I've a bass I can play, throughout the upgrade process, whilst also have parts to offload afterwards.

It may seem odd, but makes sense to me. My other options would be to attempt to save a few Thousand and have one built to how I want and have to wait during both the save and the build. Or I could buy a blank body, do it up but only be able to play it when it's finished, or, I can buy a cheap squier jazz (like I have done) and make it to my desired spec, at a fraction of the cost, with minimal waiting time, and parts to barter with and all the while having a playable instrument.

All in all that seems perfectly logical to me.

Though, the bass vi wouldn't be modified, that's just there because I want one. It's the jazz bass I have that the parts are for. I would get vintage squier parts, got a shopping list of parts already.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1379955395' post='2218709']
pickups and the other thing, the Bass VI.
I don't think that a suqier will take as much to get it playing nice as you might think.
[/quote]

I know, it's more the parts I want and the work that'll need doing to it. The re-finish I'll do myself, it's the routing I'm not sure on...that and soldering, I'm awful at soldering and wouldn't know what to do with an active pre.

I know how you feel. Modifying is great!
I have done the same with a squier Cv p bass, a homemade jazz, 2 squier stratocasters, a tokai telecaster, 2 homemade with parts Esquires and a pastcaster tele/strat hybrid... Once you start, you can't stop.
Buy the VI bass and a load of parts because you never ever achieve the goal of the perfect guitar, there will always be something that doesn't quite work or can be improved. So you sell it off on ebay for a loss and start again.
My wife points out that I spend more time tinkering with guitars than actually playing them...