Why become a member? ×

Making a '78 P-Bass a little more 'sonically versatile'

TheButler

All in the title. So, I love the P-Bass. Had it a good few years, and its properly played in now. It is my only bass. Don't have the money to get a 70's Jazz at the moment - which [i]is[/i] the next purchase.

The bass is all original, I don't particularly want to swap out pups, or have any internal pre-amp. So, what options do I have here? By versatile I kinda just want it to do something other than [i]that[/i] thunderous P-Bass sound. I currently have 4 year old thomastik flats on it too... Don't get me wrong I love the sound it does, and need that sound 75% of the time. I just need something a little more 'articulate' the other 25%.

Ideas?

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1379881955' post='2217833']
Put rounds on it ? Then you'll get less thunder
[/quote]

My delicate fingers unfortunately dictate roundwounds. Last time I played roundwounds I had pretty bad dermititis on my hands. You're right though, it would open up the sound so I won't discount them!

P-Retro... always been aware of them, might have a shufty.

Delicate fingers ? Put some rounds on, you complete pansy :)

Seriously - I had a jretro for a while and it's worth thinking about. You can't make sound that isn't there though so ground wounds / flats might defeat it a little

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1379882336' post='2217844']
Delicate fingers ? Put some rounds on, you complete pansy :)

Seriously - I had a jretro for a while and it's worth thinking about. You can't make sound that isn't there though so ground wounds / flats might defeat it a little
[/quote]

It was seriously bad... they looked like a melted cheese toasty. Proper disgusting stuff. When proper going for (geein' it laldy) bits of skin would be flying all over the front row.

Okay so John East, and a search for outboard pre's maybe.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1379882874' post='2217873']
amp Eq. Tone out the thunder when you need it.
[/quote]

The Mesa's EQ doesn't give me enough to play with. I can't really 'sculpt' - there is little deviation from what is an overwhelmingly thumpy rumble.

I'm just starting to get complaints from band members that I sound out of the mix on everything except Jamerson-ey/Motown stuff.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1379883177' post='2217886']
Hope I'm not going OT here, but why not leave the bass alone and just add pedals?
[/quote]

This is for sure a very simple thing that I evidently overlooked. Tone Hammer and VT Bass DI are on the 'to google' list. :)

Some of you may think that at this rate I could just as well buy another bass. Unfortunately, I have a sort of seperate bass fund, that a 70's Jazz will be coming out of. Current household ambience dictates that no new basses shall pass the front door threshold.

Edited by TheButler

[quote name='TheButler' timestamp='1379883493' post='2217897']
Tone Hammer and VT Bass DI are on the 'to google' list. :)
[/quote]

And jolly good they are too, but don't forget all the toys. Fuzz & distortion, chorus & tremolo, synth & envelope filters, blah blah blah ...

[quote name='TheButler' timestamp='1379883150' post='2217885']
The Mesa's EQ doesn't give me enough to play with. I can't really 'sculpt' - there is little deviation from what is an overwhelmingly thumpy rumble.

I'm just starting to get complaints from band members that I sound out of the mix on everything except Jamerson-ey/Motown stuff.
[/quote]

? that sounds a wee bit odd. Time for new strings then. If round wounds messed with your hands was that cos they were nickels or just generally? Set of cheap strings costs what £10 - try it out see what happens.
Also how old is the lead... old leads if they get damaged can act as an extra tone control...

Well, the lead was newish. Got nicked at last gig though. My money is on the keyboard player. He had a shifty look about him after the gig.

I think it was the nickel thing. These flatwounds mustn't be nickel, I've never had a problem with them. So what strings have zero nickel then? Someone mentioned GHS Pressure somethings. They frankly just [i]sound[/i] cool. I really can't go back to having those 3rd degree burn hands again. It was awful.