Why become a member? ×

Best bassline ever?

Scorchin

I must be about the 4th person here to cite Talk Talk's [i]It's My Life[/i] - a big push towards the fretless for me, and one of those basslines that has you grinning like a loon when you crack it. No Doubt? No Point. :huh:

Old School:
Beach Boys - [i]Wouldn't It Be Nice[/i] (Pet Sounds) (Carol Kaye)
Beatles - Fixing A Hole (Sgt. Pepper's)
Big Country - [i]Inwards[/i] (The Crossing) ([url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0m83u_O6P7s"]link to video[/url]: caution, contains Kilts

From the progressive dept:
Radiohead - [i]Airbag[/i] (OK Computer)
Yes - [i]Our Song[/i] (90125)
Rush - [i]Leave That Thing Alone[/i] (Counterparts)
Marillion - [i]Gazpacho[/i] (Afraid Of Sunlight)
Peter Gabriel - Don't Give Up (So) (T-Lev's "Super Wonder Nappy Bass") :)

[quote name='bnt' post='65564' date='Sep 25 2007, 09:52 PM']I must be about the 4th person here to cite Talk Talk's [i]It's My Life[/i] - a big push towards the fretless for me, and one of those basslines that has you grinning like a loon when you crack it. No Doubt? No Point. :huh:

Old School:
Beach Boys - [i]Wouldn't It Be Nice[/i] (Pet Sounds) (Carol Kaye)
Beatles - Fixing A Hole (Sgt. Pepper's)
Big Country - [i]Inwards[/i] (The Crossing) ([url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0m83u_O6P7s"]link to video[/url]: caution, contains Kilts

From the progressive dept:
Radiohead - [i]Airbag[/i] (OK Computer)
Yes - [i]Our Song[/i] (90125)
Rush - [i]Leave That Thing Alone[/i] (Counterparts)
Marillion - [i]Gazpacho[/i] (Afraid Of Sunlight)
Peter Gabriel - Don't Give Up (So) (T-Lev's "Super Wonder Nappy Bass") :)[/quote]

must have played Inwards by BC 100 times but i've never noticed what a good bass line it had. Tony Butler is vastly underated IMO.

[quote name='paul h' post='23458' date='Jun 26 2007, 11:41 AM']"everybody here wants you" - jeff buckley. not sure who the bass player was...might have been jeff, but it's a stunning bassline.

simple and effective, and responsible for the key change after the middle 8.

if i am ever having trouble improvising a slow groove i actually try to emulate the feel of this bassline. it works a treat. i got a huge ovation once in scruffy murphys in watford after shoe-horning this bassline into some horrible cover we were doing.

one of the greatest songs ever written as well.

if you disagree, then well you're wrong. :)[/quote]

Jeff's bass player was Mick Grondahl. I love his playing, especially the bass line ot Last Goodbye - the double stops in the chorus are just perfectly placed. Beautiful.

[quote name='bass_in_ya_face' post='65599' date='Sep 25 2007, 10:47 PM']Anyone heard 'Sunrise' by New Order...Hooky in full attack![/quote]

That bassline is full-on - he pulls out all the stops on that one!

Have you heard 'Broken Promise' from Brotherhood album?

[b]Love Games [/b]- Level 42 ....how may of us who grew up in the early 80's has'nt tried slapping that line at some point !!

also now that I'm here...

Get Here - Olita Adams ( Pino Palladino on super sexy smoooooth fat fretless )

Women - Paul Young ( terible song but worth buying the album just to hear Pino's beautiful fretless Stingray fill in the middle )

Panther - Marcus Miller ( instrumental )

Forget Me Nots - Patrice Rushen ( Freddie Washington on bass )

Peg - Steely Dan ( Chuck Rainey )

Aeroplane - Chilli Peppers ( Flea with a slap tone to die for )

Sons of Pioneers - Japan ( Mick Karn )

Big Sleep - Simple Minds ( Derek Forbes )

Possibly not the best of all time but i'm having great fun learning

'Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine' by The Killers.

I don't go a bundle on modern bands but it's nice to hear a nice bass line instead of a plod from a new band.

It's interesting because as I was saying to my tutor, all the classic bass lines I've learnt from day one have been over 20 years old....be it AC/DC, ZZ Top, The Eagles, China Crisis, Buzzcocks...etc etc; there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of good basslines to learn from stuff today. There again there isn't an awful lot of good stuff coiming out full stop.

I can appreciate there have been great stuff through every decade but since 2000, I don't think there is much worth listening too. Maybe it's an age thing and i'm not in touch with 'the kids' anymore :)

• 3 months later...

[quote name='Sean' post='25990' date='Jul 2 2007, 12:09 PM']Groove is in the Heart.[/quote]

Bootsy collins got to love him!

along with most James brown stuff (R.I.P.)

currently having fun playing

Girls on film- Duran Duran never noticed just how funky they were back then, must have a look at Rio judging from the number of votes it's getting

Higher ground by the chillies ...getting there

Soul to squeeze is also nice, really melodic

Haven't read whole post so sorry if these are repeats:

Alphonso Johnson on the Phil Collins 'Face Value' version of 'Behind The Lines'

Same player/same LP - 'This Must Be Love'

Billy Sheehan - 'Ladies Night in Buffalo' on Dave Lee Roths' 'Eat 'Em And Smile'

Anthony Jackson - Michel Camilo's 'Why Not'

Darryl Jones - John Scofield's 'Techno'