Why become a member? ×

Rush...Signals.

steve-soar

I remember seeing him use the Rick , the Jazz and the Steinberger on the U.S leg of the Signals tour . He wore a blue jumpsuit , if I remember correctly , and had got a new hairstyle . It was a bit wierd and slightly awkward to witness , a bit like watching a teacher dancing to Status Quo at a school disco . That's what the 1980's was [i]really[/i] like .

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1378743703' post='2204077']
I'm pretty sure he played the Rick all night when I saw them at Wembley on the Signals tour.
[/quote]

I was at Ingliston, right in front of Alex, crushed against the barrier, with the first few rows getting buckets of water thrown over us to stop us from passing out. I was also more than slightly under the influence of alcohol and had been aboard the Thailand Express...I remember thinking it was a great concert, beyond that, it's all a bit of a haze to be honest (much to my embarrassment now).

I think initially Signals got a little overlooked at the time coming out after MP which was a massive album for them. Any follow-up was going to be a tough ask. I've always quite liked it but agree the production sounds a bit dated in retrospect. I was supposed to be seeing them on this tour in Birmingham but had to miss it due to college commitments. Didn't get to see them until the HYF tour.

[quote name='LukewarmWater' timestamp='1378934248' post='2206836']
There's an isolated bass and drums (with a little bonus vocal and bass synth bleed) here for those that want a really good listen to Geddy's tone on Digital Man:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28gcZQiQvds
[/quote]

Ahh sh*t, it's not playing for me :(

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

Haven't played the you tube clip yet .anyway, great album. Still can't understand the album cover. Pretty pony tbh, unless someone on here can tell me otherwise.
Having seen them in the summer, I must say that the solo that Alex played on The Anlague Kid, was one of the best I've seen him do. Truly awesome!

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1378934577' post='2206843']
Ahh sh*t, it's not playing for me :(
[/quote]

I just tried it on my phone and it wasn't working there, but it worked earlier on my PC. Strange ...

Youtube has been a bit flaky for me today forcing me to do things like work instead of watching videos about bass looping and other such vital things.

There's an isolated bass and drums (with a little bonus vocal and bass synth bleed) here for those that want a really good listen to Geddy's tone on Digital Man:

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28gcZQiQvds"]https://www.youtube....h?v=28gcZQiQvds[/url]
[/quote]

Ooh that is pretty handy, although it doesn't make it sound easier to do :D

But clearly the tone is different to spirit of radio, which I was playing earlier (as I am supposed to be playing it next week) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx8jLE3qVqA

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1378936144' post='2206867']
Haven't played the you tube clip yet .anyway, great album. Still can't understand the album cover. Pretty pony tbh, unless someone on here can tell me otherwise.
Having seen them in the summer, I must say that the solo that Alex played on The Anlague Kid, was one of the best I've seen him do. Truly awesome!
[/quote]
It's a signal. The dog picking up the other dog's scent.

[quote name='jonsmith' timestamp='1378752604' post='2204279']
I was at Ingliston,
[/quote]

Me too! Although I was about 2/3 of the way back. I'm pretty sure the floor raked [i]down [/i]from the stage, as my abiding memory is not being able to see anything (and I'm just over 6'), and heading home to one of my companions' house to watch the Exit Stage Left video to get some Rush-flavoured visual input! Obviously I don't have a clue what Geddy was playing...

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1378818331' post='2205022']
I'm pretty sure it's:

Subdivisions - Rick
The Analog Kid - Rick
Chemistry - Rick
The Digital Man - Jazz
The Weapon - Jazz
New World Man - Jazz
Losing It - Sounds like the Jazz although rumour has it Geddy used a different Rick on this one.
Countdown - Rick
[/quote]

Forgot about The Weapon being the Jazz. That looks about right. It's supposedly a Rickenbacker 4002 on Losing It. Geddy did have one, so I suppose it could be.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1378939701' post='2206944']

But clearly the tone is different to spirit of radio, which I was playing earlier (as I am supposed to be playing it next week) - [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx8jLE3qVqA
[/quote]

That version of Spirit of Radio is an old live version on the Rick (MP tour), as opposed the Jazz on the studio version of Digital Man. I'm really pleased that Geddy gets as much 'clicking' when he plays as I do (had a studio engineer complaining about it a couple of months ago and it made me wonder about my crap technique). The playing on that version of Spirit sounds quite sloppy in isolation, but it probably contributes to the energy the track has when you hear everything together.

It's great hearing recordings that clearly haven't been edited, aligned and quantized to the nth degree - I think recorded music was all the better when the little human imperfections were left in.

I used to do Spirit of Radio with a Rush tribute and it is reasonably OK once you get past the intro. Had to stay so tight with the drummer in that first section & there was one segment of the run down into the first unison riff that I couldn't get quite right until I found a video of Alex playing it slowly.

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1378978775' post='2207212']
Me too! Although I was about 2/3 of the way back. I'm pretty sure the floor raked [i]down [/i]from the stage, as my abiding memory is not being able to see anything (and I'm just over 6'), and heading home to one of my companions' house to watch the Exit Stage Left video to get some Rush-flavoured visual input! Obviously I don't have a clue what Geddy was playing...
[/quote]

It was a terrible venue for a concert. I had a great time although I was bedraggled & exhausted by the end of it. Apparently Neil Peart said the audience at that gig were like animals, which I was a bit upset about at the time, though I must admit I probably couldn't cope with being in the same circumstances now.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1378939701' post='2206944']

But clearly the tone is different to spirit of radio, which I was playing earlier (as I am supposed to be playing it next week) -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx8jLE3qVqA
[/quote]

There's a no-guitar version of The Analog Kid that the same bloke has put up which is quite good for comparing the Rick tone with the jazz tone on Digital Man. To my (cloth) ears some of the difference is down to the extra gain/distortion he seems to be using with the Rick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tigBmZN4LnU

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

[quote name='LukewarmWater' timestamp='1378993212' post='2207468']
There's a no-guitar version of The Analog Kid that the same bloke has put up which is quite good for comparing the Rick tone with the jazz tone on Digital Man. To my (cloth) ears some of the difference is down to the extra gain/distortion he seems to be using with the Rick.
[/quote]

I thought the distortion on the rick was the bad pickups and the string rattling on the neck?

That would be a good one to learn. I can play the guitar bit but never tried it on the bass.

Edited by Woodinblack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28gcZQiQvds
[/quote]fantastic , cheers

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.