Why become a member? ×

Playing guitar... like a bass!?

Skol303

Not sure whether this belongs in Other Instruments, but heh, I'm feeling reckless...

A few months ago I bought a cheap leccy guitar - this one:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/211966-just-bought-a-vintage-fake-for-l20

I've been noodling on it since, learning chords and so on. Thing is, when picking, I can't help playing it like it's a bass - thumb on pickup using the same fingerstyle I would normally, on y'know, a proper instrument ;)

It seems be working ok... but I was wondering whether this is a bad technique for guitar - and whether I should change it before it becomes difficult to un-learn?

Anyone else here play guitar like it's a tiny, spindly-stringed bass??

Well, its not ideal as there are some things you can't play and a sound technique is always an advantage but if it works why not? There are many different ways to (guitar or bass) and many famous players that play with varying finger styles.

When I went back to playing guitar I took to hitting it with my thum, you can hear it on the intro and ending of this. [url="https://soundcloud.com/beautiful-skin/industrial-machine"]https://soundcloud.c...ustrial-machine[/url]

Whatever floats your boat I say.

Anyway Skol, you don't fool me I know of your musical capabilities from the competitions and would imagine you can get anything to sound good.

Edited by Pinball

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1378244240' post='2197739']
Mark Knopfler.

That is all.

G.
[/quote]
Strangely, since changing to a curved finger / floating thumb right-hand technique, I have found that it is only a short step to Knopfler's style - I just extend my right thumb towards the head of the instrument.

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1378245762' post='2197774']Isn't the OP saying he's been anchoring his thumb on the top edge of the pickup and using his index/middle/ring/pinkie fingers to pull on the strings? Knopfler uses his thumb for downstrokes and his other fingers to pluck upstokes. Really not the same as the OP is doing.[/quote]

Haha, indeed! I definitely DON'T play like Mark Knopfler :D I play like a bassist trying to play a guitar like a bass. All upstrokes with my index and middle fingers.

What about the Wilko method? See vid

If you watch carefully the way that he uses he fore finger....... oops he's gone off shot, wait there he goes, he's gone again...he's back. Damn you stay still Wilco :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znRAbFIxPN0

It's actually very similar to standard classical guitar technique. The Apoyando stroke (rest stroke) involves plucking the string with a sort of upward pull, with the finger then coming to rest against the next string up (as in physically upwards i.e. towards the ceiling). The thumb, meanwhile, rests against one of the bass strings (usually the low E).

Knopfler's technique is more like the classical Tirando (free stroke) technique, where the fingers and thumb float above the strings and, in effect, flick out to pluck the string and then retreat again.

[quote name='OldG' timestamp='1378276982' post='2197914']
I use the finger nails on my thumb and first finger, down strokes with the first finger - upstrokes with the thumb... like I would hold a plectrum

I couldn't find any better way to play power chords or lead without resorting to a pick.
[/quote]
This. I'm not a pick guy, and I'm currently trying to get my guitarring tolerable enough to road-test songs at open-mics, and I'm also using the backs of the fingernails and thumb for strumming.
[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1378278944' post='2197932']
It's actually very similar to standard classical guitar technique. The Apoyando stroke (rest stroke) involves plucking the string with a sort of upward pull, with the finger then coming to rest against the next string up (as in physically upwards i.e. towards the ceiling). The thumb, meanwhile, rests against one of the bass strings (usually the low E).

Knopfler's technique is more like the classical Tirando (free stroke) technique, where the fingers and thumb float above the strings and, in effect, flick out to pluck the string and then retreat again.
[/quote]
And this. I find rest-strokes don't sound so great on steel strings though. YMMV.

Mea culpa.

And I naively thought I was the only one who did that! Nice to know I'm not alone.

I try to force myself to play "properly" but I've had problems for years trying to play with a plectrum. (Until recently - the Dunlop Stubby 2mm is MY pick!) so I just unconsciously played the guitar like a bass - fairly successfully for most things, it has to be said.

It's a habit I can't break either, although for some things there's really no choice. But mostly, yea. I'm far more comfortable using a guitar like a bass.

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1378323156' post='2198703']
FWIW that's what I thought as well.

I saw a great band last weekend - the bass player had a very odd technique. Played with a pick, but only used upstrokes.
Looked bloody hard work to me, but he sounded great.

Technique? F*** it!

:)
[/quote]

Just had a go at that, how on earth did he end up playing that way?

It's f***ing impossible! :lol:

[quote name='Cat' timestamp='1378332134' post='2198916']
Mea culpa.

And I naively thought I was the only one who did that! Nice to know I'm not alone.

I try to force myself to play "properly" but I've had problems for years trying to play with a plectrum. (Until recently - the Dunlop Stubby 2mm is MY pick!) so I just unconsciously played the guitar like a bass - fairly successfully for most things, it has to be said.

It's a habit I can't break either, although for some things there's really no choice. But mostly, yea. I'm far more comfortable using a guitar like a bass.
[/quote]

Nothing wrong with individuality! Teachers normally look to develop technique along specific lines that they know will work for most students. Having said that, a good tutor should always have room for the unorthodox. As an example, I had a bass student a few years ago whose playing technique was a bit, er, weird. After a while trying to get him to do it 'properly' I realised that it wasn't going to happen and went with the flow. It helped that he was possibly the most talented young musician I'd worked with for a long time - good singer, superb drummer, very decent guitarist, and a fine bassist too! Whenever I asked him about it he would always say something along the lines of 'I can't explain it - it just works for me'.

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1378363910' post='2199054']
Nothing wrong with individuality! Teachers normally look to develop technique along specific lines that they know will work for most students. Having said that, a good tutor should always have room for the unorthodox. As an example, I had a bass student a few years ago whose playing technique was a bit, er, weird. After a while trying to get him to do it 'properly' I realised that it wasn't going to happen and went with the flow. It helped that he was possibly the most talented young musician I'd worked with for a long time - good singer, superb drummer, very decent guitarist, and a fine bassist too! Whenever I asked him about it he would always say something along the lines of 'I can't explain it - it just works for me'.
[/quote]

I approve this post. Individuality ftw. :sun_bespectacled:

(And It means I can stop beating myself up for not being able to do it the "right" way.)

Nothing completely wrong with playing any instrument in any way you'd like but I would recommend looking into developing what is considered a more 'standard' technique first. If you're keen on being a fingerstyle guitar player then maybe look into incorporating your first, second and ring fingers + thumb into plucking chords, and from there picking individual notes out of chords in repeating patterns to improve your dexterity.

One guitar player who astounds me at how good his finger picking work can be is John Mayer. Try and ignore the fact that the guy is a complete douche.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TesSAq6uY34

Good evening, Skol...

I have studied most of the acknowledged 'great' guitarists over the years, in most genres, from Wes Montgomery, through Joe Pass, Jerry Garcia, John McLaughlin and, of course Jimi (too many others to cite...). I have very carefully developed a technique inspired by their apparent mastery, and can reveal the secret to you. No fee, just a percentage of your royalties, please. :rolleyes:
How is it done..? It's amazingly simple, naturally, as are all the best techniques. One has simply to throw one's fingers at the strings (yes, all of them; both hands, preferably rhythmically...). This produces the most wonderful of musics (listen to some of those given earlier to hear proof, especially Jerry Garcia...). The key is to be lucky. I've been doing this for the last 45 years, and on (OK, rare...) occasions, have made luckier strikes than usual, sometimes even musical. I live in hope, though, to one day be as lucky as those 'greats', and astound the world. Try it, it can't fail. Just depends how lucky you are.

No, don't thank me, I'd have to blush. :blush: