Why become a member? ×

Ampeg Portaflex or Markbass Mini CMD151P?

eParrot

Hi and thank you for taking the time to read this.
I'm a career guitarist but fairly new to bass and loving it. Look fwd to bass gigs more than I ever did to guitar ones.

My main bass is a US standard P. it's perfect for me. I have a line 6 studio 110 and the 'clean' model does what I like to hear. I believe it's modelled on an Eden traveller.

I'm looking for a bigger rig that will assert itself more on bigger stages but not a beast. I don't need to own a 8x10. 1x15 or 2x10 should do me.

I like warm, tight, sweet and fundamental tone. Think Babbitt, Jamerson, Weeks, Kaye, Sklar, you get the picture. No slap, fretless or grinding metal! Never ever.

I'm draw to these 2 rigs. I like the idea of a portaflex, 350 or 500, and their modular approach. Like I can add a second cab later and have 1x15 + 2x10 in 4ohm at some point.

But I've seen this guy live with a p through a markbass 4x10 rig and he sounded amazing so I looked them up and saw they do this 1x15 portable combo and thought it could be interesting.

Does anyone have a personal opinion for or against any of these two?

Much appreciated

If what you like to hear is a clean sound, then go with Markbass. I have used several MB heads and really liked them. There is much love for their combos on here, too. I very much like Ampeg gear as well, but it may 'assert itself' more than you'd like. As usual, the best plan is to try both in a band context - which is easier said than done, I know. :)

Edited by discreet

All the combos use the same head, it's the LMII/III. I went with the 2x10 combo & it's more than enough for my needs, sounds awesome too. There's a few on here with the 1x12 combo & say it's plenty loud enough too.
Like discreet say's, try them. Get yourself to a shop & try things too (Kenny's music in Jamaica St stocks Markbass, they might have Ampeg).

I reckon the Markbass basic sound might not,be warm enough for you, given what you list. I'm to saying that they cannot be made to sound that way, but I've owned a few markbass rigs and I'm not sure that out of the box they are right for you.

To be honest, I'd not rule out the Ashdown ABM stuff. My hunch is that you might find that old school thump and warmth more easily with end of their combos or heads. My experience anyway.

Orange terror bass is warm too.

Cheers for that. I'll be gigging tomorrow through an ashdown ABM. I'll have a proper check. I remember using one in the past an sounded a bit 'wooly' and boomy. Didn't care much for their sub harmonic feature. I found Orange gear too gainy for me.

Ashdown is often stated to be wooly and boomy. I think it is down to the set up.

Without telling you how to suck eggs...

Make sure everything is set flat, incident disengaging the filter button at the front of the signal chain so it is in the "flat"setting. Otherwise you get a horrid mushed sound with no mids at all, unusable.

Set all the sliders in the middle and the EQ knobs straight up. And then go from there, maybe boosting the mids a bit to taste, and adding some distortion if you need to get that old school Jamerson warm fat tubey tone.

You should be able to make it sound good. I my experience the only tone I could not get was a hifi sizzling sound, but you don't want that I suspect? Great rock and blues and Motown and old style funk sounds are the in abundance though.

Edited by nottswarwick

From the two specified, and having had both an Ampeg PF500 (2 in fact) and having had Markbass head/410 cab, and having a Markbass Mini-CMD121P combo (plus ext cab if needed), I`d go Markbass.

Reasons: Lighter, more versatile, and seeing as Markbass tone is clean, it can be warmed up very easily with a pedal. Whereas it`s difficult to un-warm an amps inherent tone.

I`ve always been an Ampeg fan, but every time I saw a bassist using Markbass gear, their tone was just great, sat in the mix, in my opinion, in exactly the right place, especially with a Precision, which is what I use.

Thanks guys. Very worthwhile exercise and I'm glad I've posted here. I'll be looking out for that 'filter' button tomorrow on the ashdown and I'm starting to seriously consider going MB all the way. I had this purist idea that I needed a 15' cab. But I totally agree with your remark. That guy (who's a lovely player) sat in the mix so well with his p and MB rig. It was clear, pure, articulate, defined, lyrical, nothing was ever lost in mud.

I totally agree one has to try but you can never really tell until the night, and even then every house is a new jungle. So I need something versatile to cover quite a few bases (no pun intended)

So I'm talking myself into a MB head (gee, which one?) and a nice 2x10 cab. With a grand plan to own a second 4x10 cab which I can use on its own or combined with the 2x10 if I ever need that kind of headroom.

This is running into serious money though :-/

[quote name='eParrot' timestamp='1377873477' post='2193100']
Thanks guys. Very worthwhile exercise and I'm glad I've posted here. I'll be looking out for that 'filter' button tomorrow on the ashdown and I'm starting to seriously consider going MB all the way. I had this purist idea that I needed a 15' cab. But I totally agree with your remark. That guy (who's a lovely player) sat in the mix so well with his p and MB rig. It was clear, pure, articulate, defined, lyrical, nothing was ever lost in mud.

I totally agree one has to try but you can never really tell until the night, and even then every house is a new jungle. So I need something versatile to cover quite a few bases (no pun intended)

So I'm talking myself into a MB head (gee, which one?) and a nice 2x10 cab. With a grand plan to own a second 4x10 cab which I can use on its own or combined with the 2x10 if I ever need that kind of headroom.

This is running into serious money though :-/
[/quote]
If you're going Markbass, adding a 2nd 2x10 would be more than ample as they're extremely loud cabs (especially if stacked vertically).
I sometimes plug the SWR 4x10 that's in the rehearsal room & struggle to hear any difference in sound or volume. I unplugged the combo to make sure it was on & there it was, just a good bit quieter.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1377880577' post='2193224']

If you're going Markbass, adding a 2nd 2x10 would be more than ample as they're extremely loud cabs (especially if stacked vertically).
I sometimes plug the SWR 4x10 that's in the rehearsal room & struggle to hear any difference in sound or volume. I unplugged the combo to make sure it was on & there it was, just a good bit quieter.
[/quote]

Good to know, thanks. My thinking was that I'd have three options, 2, 4 and 6 10'

But in reality it might never happen and I'll be happy ever after with the 2x10 as the pressing need now is portability and quality. And more stage presence than my puny 110

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1377881311' post='2193235']
I didn 't think I'd say this but I prefer the Portflex over Markbass. but I think you need to demo at a decent volume before finally choosing
[/quote]

Really? I'm listening. Lets hear it for portaflex. Is it the 'ampeg tone' that swings it for you?

[quote name='eParrot' timestamp='1377884729' post='2193281']
Really? I'm listening. Lets hear it for portaflex. Is it the 'ampeg tone' that swings it for you?
[/quote]

No... I am not a fan of Ampeg typically and only buy into the SVT/810 tradition as it is just a happy accident in getting things right, IMO.
But..... having done that, it has learnt the trick and the Portaflex tries to repeat it.
Maybe the Portaflex is along the lines of the classic B15 ...as much as I wanted to dislike it, as per the SVT3 which doesn't work for me,
the Portaflex series seem to have a nice warm balanced sound which just works.

As I say, I am no real fan of Ampeg but I think the Portaflex is great to plug into.
I do have reservations about build and quality, so it was always going to be a hard sell to me, but I have to say I like the Portaflex.

Markbass is soft and flabby whereas Portaflex is round and full, IMO
I wouldn't extent this endorsement to many other Ampeg products, but that one, I got on with.

Quality/QC Markbass should win, but not from a sound POV, for me

I have used Gallien Krueger amps for years and when I do sell one I try lots of other stuff before going back as I can never get "my sound"

I've had my PF500 for a few months and am loving it. its very warm and to me is more versatile than the GK, plus it fits into a laptop bag.

The choice of cab affects the sound as well - Whistle Binkies in Edinburgh has the same amp but uses an Ampeg cab and it sounds terrible. I don't know if its a sealed cab but its really muffled and wooly.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1377910553' post='2193624']
Sorry, but there is NO WAY that Markbass is 'soft and flabby'.
[/quote]

Yep, there is...every time I hear one. And I've heard lots...
If I close my eyes, I can recall the same sound characteristic from everyone I've heard use one.
It is a low mid thud which is soft with no beef in the sound at all. Such a dull sound.and not focused.
The only guy round here that sounds pretty decent through one doesn't use their cabs, ...............
I think it is the amp/cab combination as the amps themselves aren't bad...

My other problem with them..but this is true of other amps as well, so less pertinent, is that the amps loose the sound
when you turn them up. What sounded ok at low volume needs tweaking when you turn up. No real biggie just slightly annoying
and makes sound checking them at low vol pointless.

That`s a view which differs greatly from mine JT, but then I suppose it`s the old horses for courses. To me Markbass sit in the mix in exactly the right place, never screaming out "look at me" but producing a clear yet strangely warm sound that provides a great foundation on which the guitars can sit.

I think I know what you mean re the focused thing though. Our other bassist has a Trace Elliot amp, and with both amps flat, his is much more focused to a specific audible area, much easier to hear at the same volume. The way I`d describe the difference in our sounds is he sounds like a guitarist playing bass, I sound like a bassist.

I use a PF500 through mark bass cabs.
The amp is great but the horn/tweeter on the cab is positively shocking, so I keep that turned off.
I do get quite a lot of comments about how good my sound is.
I use mark cabs because I bought a std 1x15 and a club 1x15 for £500 the pair and they're light.
I don't spend too much time getting bogged down in it all, I just get on and play.
Works for me

I'd never have thought I'd hear anyone say Markbass sounds "soft & flabby", though I suppose it depends on the bass & how the amp is set. If the filters are both fully on, then I suppose it might get you there as the VLE will take away all the treble & the VPF will kill the mids & boost the bass (giving you that Ashdown sound).

eParrot, I'd try as many combos out as you can, there's quite a few local bassists with good portable rigs & combos.
Whereas I love the Markbass sound, it's not for everyone.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1377934197' post='2193681']
Yep, there is... every time I hear one. And I've heard lots...
[/quote]

?? :huh:[size=4] So have I. I've owned, gigged and recorded with MB extensively, too. We must be hearing very different things.[/size]
[size=4]Of course you're entitled to your opinion... but a big 'WTF??' from me, though. :)[/size]

MB1.
Soft and flabby???
I'm getting
"Vanilla, a threat of Oyster shell,
Wood Pigeon and pebbles in the rain?"
My only comment would be...
Having been a Long Time Ashdownian changing to Markbass is like having my ears syringed.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1377935061' post='2193692']
That`s a view which differs greatly from mine JT, but then I suppose it`s the old horses for courses. To me Markbass sit in the mix in exactly the right place, never screaming out "look at me" but producing a clear yet strangely warm sound that provides a great foundation on which the guitars can sit.

I think I know what you mean re the focused thing though. Our other bassist has a Trace Elliot amp, and with both amps flat, his is much more focused to a specific audible area, much easier to hear at the same volume. The way I`d describe the difference in our sounds is he sounds like a guitarist playing bass, I sound like a bassist.
[/quote]

yes, sure, Lozz, we have had the differing view before and I know you are a fan.

The Ampeg Portaflex..if it behaves at volumes ....will be that solid underpinning sound but you might not be able to get away from that.
Great for a finger style P-bass, which is just there all the time.
The reason grind works for amps like this as it doesn't or can't stay real tight higher up... but then 99.9% of people really wouldn't want it to...
or you'd use a different amp completely.

I think Aguilar amps are a more modern take on where Ampeg used to be...

As you say, horses for courses

Edited by JTUK

I started a holy war...
Maybe (definitely) I should have said my Precision is strung with Thomastik flats that are well over two years old and has a piece of foam mute under the strings at the bridge.

Just done with the soundcheck. I'm plugging into an ashdown EVO3 500 15' combo. No pre shape, no comp, no sub harmonics, valve drive at 11, bass at 11, mids at 2, highs at 12 o clock.
I don't think is the amp for me. Too many options. But it's doing the job.