Why become a member? ×

Rare Fretted Jaco Jazz

Dr M

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Jazz-Bass-Jaco-Pastorius-extra-rare-non-fretless-/261270819722?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3cd4f4538a"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3cd4f4538a[/url]

[quote]
As u might know this bass is rare because most of this models came as fretless version.
I have for sale orginal with orginal specification extra rare non fretless version.
[/quote]

Or, alternatively, a Jaco sig that someone's slapped a fretted neck onto...

Edited by Dr M

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1377803197' post='2192167']
[i]So is Dr M the ebay seller too? You may not be aware of this: "[/i]This forum is for the discussion of Ebay auctions. Please do not promote your own auctions. If you have something to sell, please use the For Sale forums. (Moderated by mcgraham)."
[/quote]

As u might know. :P

There is a place for selling stuff on here...

[i]So is Dr M the ebay seller too? You may not be aware of this: "[/i]This forum is for the discussion of Ebay auctions. Please do not promote your own auctions. If you have something to sell, please use the For Sale forums. (Moderated by mcgraham)."
[/quote]

If Dr M was the ebay seller, would he really have appended "Or, alternatively, a Jaco sig that someone's slapped a fretted neck onto..." in the original post? Hardly likely to make us form a queue to bid ;)

[/quote]

Apologies, added quote tags to the original post for clarity.

And just to be blunt - no, I am most definitely not the ebay seller.

To be fair, Jaco did play fretted basses too. And he did bolt a maple Precision neck on to the 'bass of doom' body for that instructional video when he was badly on the slide (mentally). Mind you it was maple, not rosewood ...

[attachment=142684:51Byw1mHjML.jpg]

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1377857294' post='2192760']
To be fair, Jaco did play fretted basses too. And he did bolt a maple Precision neck on to the 'bass of doom' body for that instructional video when he was badly on the slide (mentally). Mind you it was maple, not rosewood ...

[attachment=142684:51Byw1mHjML.jpg]
[/quote]

I had the VHS of that and, my God, it was appalling!

FWIW, I recall International Musician doing an interview with him back in '77 or '78. In it, the author relates how JP opened up a double-flightcase to reveal two Jazzes. One appeared to be the BOD and another had a fretted Precision neck on it, which JP used to practice his stretching on. Unfortunately, I can't recall whether that neck had a maple or a rosewood 'board.

Edited by Stacker

Of course Jaco played various basses including endorsing Guild Pilot basses but we all know that the bass he is most closely linked and known for playing is a Fretless Fender Jazz Bass. That's why i always thought that for Fender to offer a fretted version of his signature was a strange thing to do.

Going back to the op, yes Fender did make a fretted version of the Jaco Pastorius signature bass.

Can't say I'm really familiar with the Jaco basses that Fender produced, but I'm pretty sure that Jaco's wouldn't have had the sunburst where the pickguard would have been (can you tell that I'm not au fait with all things Jaco?).

Did the Fender repro have the full burst on it or is my thinking way off beam here?

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1377899312' post='2193522']
Did the Fender repro have the full burst on it or is my thinking way off beam here?
[/quote]
Yes and yes. :D

Seriously though folks, i think that what people are questioning is that whether there was a Jaco signature Jazz Bass that came from the Fender factory fretted and the answer is YES!!!

Edited by BetaFunk