Why become a member? ×

Audition tips or advice?

Adam.M

I'm doing an audition tomorrow, and for once i really care about gettin in! and not only because i could warrant getting an 8x10 either... :)

So does anyone have any general tips and advice? what to do, what not to do etc?

Cheers!

Adam

I'll leave the muso advice to others - most of whom are way better qualified than me!

Don't forget the non-muso stuff.

Say hello to everyone, even the unfriendly types. Make eye contact while you're playing. Don't grin like an idiot, but DO find reasons to smile/grin/laugh occasionally.

Remember that it's not JUST about your chops or your style ... the other band members need to end up thinking "He's someone I could spend time with.".

Good luck.

[quote name='Galilee' post='218987' date='Jun 14 2008, 08:55 PM']I'll chip in again with get totally pi55ed and get your willy out.

:huh:[/quote]

Odd that, I was going to suggest the same thing :)

Edited by Buzz

A bit late for Adam, I know, but may be helpful for others

One trick that has worked for me on more than one occasion:
Try and find out the songs the band will be auditioning with, then set about learning them. Most bands will only pick 2 or 3 songs out of their repertoire.

Steve

[quote name='SteveK' post='219574' date='Jun 16 2008, 12:25 AM']A bit late for Adam, I know, but may be helpful for others

One trick that has worked for me on more than one occasion:
Try and find out the songs the band will be auditioning with, then set about learning them. Most bands will only pick 2 or 3 songs out of their repertoire.

Steve[/quote]
+1 Absolutely Right.
I am always astonished when we audition someone and they DON'T ask for the numbers they are going to play/sing.
Nailing down the audition set demonstrates your interest and ensures you can play the numbers the band are using to audition.
Also ensures you are going to be playing music you like. After finding out what the band play, you might not fancy the job.