Why become a member? ×

Cut The Funk - Incredible!!

NJE

I am not usually one for raving on about things I see and hear musically and I very rarely seem to get excited by bands these days, but I had to come on here and mention a band I saw last night called [url="http://www.cutthefunk.com"]Cut The Funk.[/url]

I am down in Pembrokeshire (West Wales) and it was the last night of the local AberJazz festival and Cut The Funk were playing with a band from Gloucestershire (where I live) so I thought it would be worth going especially for the bargain price of £7.

I am anything but a great musician but I am a great critic and really good and being a grumpy old sod when it comes to music even though I have no right to be. What this means is that I am rarely impressed with bands I see live in person or on the TV.

Last night however, I was blown away by Cut The Funk. Within 10 seconds of them starting I was flawed by the musicianship, and sheer class of their music and I was smiling from ear to ear for their 1 1/2 hour set. I am not normally a fan of instrumental music, I usually like a good singer belting out some melodies, but I didn't miss a vocalist as the music was so engaging and melodic.

They were some of the best musicians I have ever seen and on a par with when I saw Jamiroquai in terms of tightness of their playing. They were all INCREDIBLE musicians, virtuosic even, but as this is a bass forum I have to mention their bass player [b]Joe Sam.[/b]

He had one bass, (70's Jazz) and a lovely EBS HD350 and 4x10 cab and the sound was monstrous, easily filled the large room we were in. His tone was great, and he played some of the best funk and most tasteful slap I have ever heard including all the videos I have watched on here over the years.

I chatted with the keys player when I bought a copy of their album and he was a lovely guy, incredibly humbled by the compliments he received from others and myself, like he didn't quite realise how good the band was. I also briefly said thanks to the band when they finished and they were the same, they just couldn't quite believe that a room full of strangers in a small town on the Welsh Coast who had never heard them before were lapping up everything they played.

I could go on and on, I will stop now though and just say, please check them out, they really deserve to do well. Here is a video to give you a taste but in the flesh it was so much better:

http://youtu.be/fosWocUKVio

Edited by NJE

A guitarist that can really play in time is like gold dust. They've obviously rehearsed and are experienced players - the balance and sound of instruments fits together like a pro act and they have chops but don't overplay. What elevates them above the norm is the way they groove, and the gaps they leave between notes. '70's US TV cop shows springs to mind (in a good way). Great to see a sax player upfront, too. I'd pay to see them play.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1377652116' post='2190005']
Rather good band, eh?

I'm looking forward to Paul, keyboards, gigging with our band in September.
[/quote]

I am very envious, he was phenomenal, and seemed like a lovely chap too.

[quote name='XB26354' timestamp='1377670226' post='2190033']
A guitarist that can really play in time is like gold dust. They've obviously rehearsed and are experienced players - the balance and sound of instruments fits together like a pro act and they have chops but don't overplay. What elevates them above the norm is the way they groove, and the gaps they leave between notes. '70's US TV cop shows springs to mind (in a good way). Great to see a sax player upfront, too. I'd pay to see them play.
[/quote]

The keys player told my dad that they were all playing 4-5 nights a week. I don't know if that is together or with different bands but that certainly explains why they are all so tight.

The sax player Tony Rico was out of this world, and Paul on keyboards described him as seriously dangerous..... a spot on description judging by what I saw.

The whole thing was great though, small amount of kit, small PA, one guitar each and just brilliant playing. I wish my band were 1/10th as good and could organise our gear so it was that simple and organised.

I highly recommend their album, best £10 I have spent in ages.

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1377782618' post='2191737']

The keys player told my dad that they were all playing 4-5 nights a week. I don't know if that is together or with different bands but that certainly explains why they are all so tight.

[/quote]

Dudely works with so many people... which is why my comment about him still playing American football is pertinent. But he doesn't want to quit :lol:
Paul works a lot as does Rico.
I am sure all their calenders are pretty full that they don't have as much time for this project as they might like....but you'd have to ask them that...

Pleased they are getting recognition afar