Why become a member? ×

Gallien Krueger vs Markbass combos

Bass Culture

Dear All,

I'm reluctantly considering selling my Markbass SA450 and 2 x Aguilar GS112's set up as I really only need to monitor myself onstage, and would benefit from using a decent combo with a tilt back facility. Trouble is, the sound is just fantastic from my present set up so I'm a bit dubious about changing to anything else at all! I'll need something with a decent amount of bass and was thinking either the Gallien Krueger Backline 2x10 combo or the Markbass 2 x 10 combo. Anyone used either of these who could give me some idea of what they sound like? I'm not really a great fan of 1 x 15" combo's and am not too sure whether 2 x 10" speakers would give me the same weight of sound as I presently get from my Markbass / Aguilar set up. Sound wise I usually blend towards the bridge pickup about 80%, cut the treble and boost the bass, and the mids a little bit more, to give me a nice (to my ears!) tight, punchy sound that has a good deal of weight to it too. Obviously I'd prefer something that enables me to keep the same kind of sound. Any thoughts / comments etc?

Cheers,

Mark

I know it's a bit unconventional, but I use my SA450 to power a JBL Eon 15 PA cab laid-back in its monitor position. It works incredibly well, and also gives you the benefit of a relatively uncoloured sound so anything you eq should sound pretty similar FOH. Very portable too.

[quote name='Ba55me15ter' post='22889' date='Jun 25 2007, 10:51 AM']I know it's a bit unconventional, but I use my SA450 to power a JBL Eon 15 PA cab laid-back in its monitor position. It works incredibly well, and also gives you the benefit of a relatively uncoloured sound so anything you eq should sound pretty similar FOH. Very portable too.[/quote]
I'd love to know where the rumour about Markbass being clean sounding started. They've definitely got jazz bass friendly colouring to my ears. Your band sound great BTW. :)

[quote name='Bass Culture' post='22885' date='Jun 25 2007, 10:38 AM']I'm reluctantly considering selling my Markbass SA450 and 2 x Aguilar GS112's set up......................Any thoughts / comments etc?[/quote]
If you like the sound I'd keep this rig and find some way of raising the front of the top cab. Maybe something 2" x 2"? Wood, rigid foam etc, in order to angle the cab towards you. Just make sure the amp doesn't slide off the back!! If you do decide to sell.... let me know first, ok! Cheers.

Cheers for that! :)
I was referring to the cab being relatively uncoloured so whatever comes out of the MB head will be fairly faithfully reproduced, as opposed to a more 'flattering' (or limited-range) bass cab which might not sound much like FOH.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='22918' date='Jun 25 2007, 11:53 AM']I'd love to know where the rumour about Markbass being clean sounding started. They've definitely got jazz bass friendly colouring to my ears. Your band sound great BTW. :huh:[/quote]

Edited by Ba55me15ter

Chris_b - thanks for that. I actually use a bit of an amp stand to angle it anyway, but it's always going to be a compromise, to a certain extent. And touch wood, the amp has not so much as slipped so far, but I'm always a bit worried. If you're after a similar set up and you're in a hurry I know Mike Walsh at The Bass Merchant has got a very similar rig on offer as a 'special' at the moment - Little Mark II with a GS112 and a GS112NT for £999, I think.

Er, so anyone heard the GK or MB combos at all?

[quote name='chris_b' post='22935' date='Jun 25 2007, 12:35 PM']If you like the sound I'd keep this rig and find some way of raising the front of the top cab. Maybe something 2" x 2"? Wood, rigid foam etc, in order to angle the cab towards you. Just make sure the amp doesn't slide off the back!![/quote]

I agree. There's nothing special about tiltback/wedge combos that you can't achieve with a well place bit of dense foam (my preference) or wood. Leave one cab at home, turn the other vertical and stick something under the front edge to tilt it back. Try some velcro or nonstick rubber to keep the amp in place (I rely on my rack's edges catching on the stacking corners).

Alex

[quote name='Bass Culture' post='22983' date='Jun 25 2007, 02:00 PM']Er, so anyone heard the GK or MB combos at all?[/quote]

I've tried the Markbass CMD121 at a gig at the The Bedford in Balham, it was loud, soft, warm and rubber bandy sounding to my ears. Would be a good amp for aggressive sounding basses where you wanted to preserve the lower mids and tame the highs a little. Did the job for the gig but I was always aware of what the amp was taking out of my sound in terms of clarity and upper mids.

I own two GK RB700 combos and prefer them for use with my Smith basses, they're brutally honest amps so don't don't compensate for duff sounding instruments. Thats OK with the Smiths because they're not very aggressive sounding. The GK combos are loud and preserve a lot of upper midrange and presence to my ears which the Markbass combo didn't. When I use my Pentabuzz with them, they help fill the room.

I might chime in here - I was going to start a new thread just now, and spotted this. Hop ethis is not seen as a hi-jck - I think it will help all concerned - I am pondering getting a kickback combo myself, but one that is big enough to gig with.

The MB 210 seems like an option, as do the various GK ones, but are there any others worthy of consideration as a pro-level combo, with kickback facility?

I like the idea of carrying my whole rig in one hand, plonking it down, plugging in and hey presto

C

I use a GK 700RB/210 combo for rehearsal and big gigs for monitoring - it's great for on stage monitoring and ideal for small and medium size venues as proper backline. It's fairly portable and I chose it over a similar powered MB mainly on price (£250 difference). If you can afford the extra the MB's are much lighter. Soundwise - as always try before you buy. MB has a superb reputation but some find that they colour the sound too much them. The GK suits my needs, pocket and sound and on balance won for me.

I should probably start a new thread as this is a bit of a different question, but has anyone any experience of the new range of Fender Combos? I was looking at the Bassman 150 and that seems to have the kind of spec I'm thinking of - tilt back design, 150w output, 12" speaker and relatively simple control set. Any comments?

Mark

[quote name='Bass Culture' post='23990' date='Jun 27 2007, 01:29 PM']I should probably start a new thread as this is a bit of a different question, but has anyone any experience of the new range of Fender Combos? I was looking at the Bassman 150 and that seems to have the kind of spec I'm thinking of - tilt back design, 150w output, 12" speaker and relatively simple control set. Any comments?

Mark[/quote]

Hey Mark,
I'm planning on getting one of those Bassman 150's in the next couple of weeks.
Hoping to sell my Trace to fund it, although it's looking more likely that I'll be trading it in.
If you can hang on, I can let you know how I get on with mine.

From what I've read, these are great amps, very low and loud for their size + very very portable.
Apparently Fender have really pulled the finger out since acquiring SWR, I imagine a lot of what's in an SWR will now be in the newer Fender models. Oddly though, I've heard that the build quality on the Fenders is even better than SWR!

Cheers,
Eude

Eude,

I'd really appreciate that. I was going to hang fire for a week or two anyway as I'll be down in Colchester in a few days time and was going to pop into The Bass Merchant to maybe try one of the GK combos. But, for me, the Fender seems to have an even more suitable spec. Definitely be interested to hear how you get on with yours. Especially seeing as I've read some stuff about the smaller GK combos which seems to point towards reliability issues. That said, I'm all too aware that the net is sometimes the biggest source of misinformation as well useful information, so that may be something and nothing.

Thanks,

Mark

Edited by Bass Culture

[quote name='Bass Culture' post='24751' date='Jun 29 2007, 10:25 AM']Eude,

I'd really appreciate that. I was going to hang fire for a week or two anyway as I'll be down in Colchester in a few days time and was going to pop into The Bass Merchant to maybe try one of the GK combos. But, for me, the Fender seems to have an even more suitable spec. Definitely be interested to hear how you get on with yours. Especially seeing as I've read some stuff about the smaller GK combos which seems to point towards reliability issues. That said, I'm all too aware that the net is sometimes the biggest source of misinformation as well useful information, so that may be something and nothing.

Thanks,

Mark[/quote]

Dude, no problem at all.
I've been labouring over this purchase for ages.
I've done all I can research-wise without actually owning one.
I'll be taking my Trace in to value it a week tomorrow ( going up north to drink a lot of rum this weekend) and I'll order the badboy then.
I'll be gigging it on the 20th of July, so I could give you an even more thorough review then.
I'll give you a shout as soon as I've got some info.

Cheers,
Eude

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='23826' date='Jun 26 2007, 11:47 PM']I think I might look seriously for a 700RB210. Do they have a clear, deep sound? And has anyone tried the neo versions@

Chris[/quote]
I bought my GK 700RB115 precisely because it sounded deep and clear, to my ears. It is for sale now, if you still happen to be in the market for a combo. Check link below in my sig.

Cheers, Andy

• 2 weeks later...

In a similar sort of dilemma.

A few years back I went over to using a Bass Pod Pro XT straight to the PA which sound awesome out front and through my IEM, but have had a few mutters re on stage monitoring, despite the foldback strewn about. So I have started carrying round my TE 122H combo and sending a separate feed to that.

Trouble is whilst it works OK it doesn't fit in the car easily ([i]what the hell sort of decision making reason is that!!! :) [/i]) and is a bit big to use for smaller acoustic gigs possibly on the horizon for which I was toying with getting an EUB. I also have to bear in mind the fact that my joints are slowly but surely giving out & being replaced so weight / portability is a factor, as is size in the smallest of gigs.

So I have looked at a GK Backline 112, and Markbass CMD121H to date. I have also seen but not tried the Silver series Edens & wondered. I have even considered a s/h TE BLX combo, which certainly seemed a possibility. Lastly there is an EBS 1x12 Drome

Either of the first two would fit the car bill & both sounded good in the shop at least.

The BLX knocked out the power sufficiently for onstage monitoring, but the two I found in shops looked expensive for the state they were in!

EBS I have not had a chance to try yet in the combo version. Eden I merely threw into the pot

The GK has the benefit of the kickback & is quite a bit cheaper than the MB, but almost certainly does not have headroom that the MB would. There is of course nothing to stop one using a lump of 2x4, or even the MB fold away stand. The MB combo is [i]incredibly [/i]light but certainly seemed to pump out bass. Is it a one trick pony as I have heard suggested - pass. Chances are if you can find a good tone, which certainly seemed possible, that's enough isn't it? Certainly live with the Bass Pod I really only use 3 main patches with a couple of other for short boosted sections.

I really need to take my bass along and stick it through the GK & MB. There was very nearly a "SODIT" moment this morning for the MB, but I have a few weeks off for other band members hols so there is no huge rush just at the mo.

• 1 year later...

Hey guys
I have a GK, 210 combo. bought it cuz the sound was unbelieveable. it the 400rb/210 mark 4, and its been gigged for a bout 3 yrs. I used the tilt function...once!
When you tilt an amp you DO loose a lot of your bottom. I play mainly small - med venues, always with the help of a rather nice PA, so my stage power is for the band only, the crowd hears some of the 210 from up close, but mainly from the FOH PA. If you want clarity, punch, (sometimes growl if you like) and sweet definition, I suggest the GK bar none!

Fenders -greta improvements lately, bottomy, yet way less def. than GK or Hartke
MB - overpriced, overrated... I was sooo dissappointed
Hartke - No better for entry level...but i should add their GOOD cabs (XL) are great additions to improve punch and zing, however, unless you want to haul a 115 and a 410, they dont have enuff body!
Aguilar - preamps are great - on that note, i used a ag preamp in front of the GK, not nearly as nice as one would think
GK - 210 combo, 280W, 200 heads at the show, 100 will compliment the fat yet punchy bass.

I play in a blues band, my drummer and i sync really well, and when we do a fill together there should be a flash of lightning, cuz it is pure thunder!
I suggest GK to anyone who wants Boutique sound, without the price. And it is tough as H-E-double hockey sticks!
On another note, i drive a 15 inch Altec from that amp now and then, as well as a Blackwidow, and it will make your jeans flap!

I'd just add that, although my experience about losing bass using the tiltback doesn't necessarily tie in, losing bass on small and/or hollow stages isn't necessarily a bad thing if the acoustics are boomy. In fact I liked my GK RB700's for that reason if anything. Losing the mud made them clearer.