Why become a member? ×

Bringing back gear from holidays

Damonjames

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1376753666' post='2178733']
Like the idea of taking a cheap one out and bringing an expensive one back :lol:
[/quote]

I always liked that idea until a read in a music mag that they were well aware of that ploy. I read that back in 1978.

This is what Customs do for a living, day in day out. They've seen it all before.

Edited by Musky

Quite a few years back I travelled to the States with a Jap Fender Telly, purely to strum whilst out there visiting a friend. On return I was questioned by customs who demanded to know where I bought it, how much I paid, how long ago, how I played it whilst away (ie with no amp) and many other questions. Clearly they suspected I'd bought it whilst over there. They [i]will [/i]pull you up on this, and they know the value of guitars. And they're kinda hard to hide on a luggage trolley. I've purchased a couple of pedals in the States, but they're considerably less conspicuous, and generally cheaper of course.

IIRC there's a £100 limit on purchases from the US before duty needs to be paid. And then there's the VAT on top of that. And unless you declared an item above this value, they really wouldn't take too kindly to anyone trying to smuggle it in. There are some hefty fines for this sort of thing.

BB

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1376767002' post='2178946']
Having recently dealt with US customs and immigration there is no way on earth I would be risking anything with them. "Welcome to the USA", indeed <_<
[/quote]

That would be going into the U.S as opposed to leaving the U.S? I'll admit customs are tough at the U.S border but the times I've travelled out of the U.S back to the U.K and encountered literally no one at the customs desk has been 100% of the time.

To the OP, I wouldn't necessarily advise doing it but honestly I think the likelihood of you getting away with it is quite high, at least at the airport that I regularly use (Manchester).

Here's a serious take from me as well:

I tried to avoid trouble when returning with instruments, by already showing the instrumens to customs on the way out. Mind ya, this was expensive stuff.
Each time, I could sense that customs didn't want me there, and certainly didn't want the administration of it.
One time, I was plainly asked to drop it, and as a result I haven't done it the official way since.

Have never had trouble since entering Holland or Norway or the UK, but have always been able to smile friendly at the question "Do you have a receipt?", and answer confidently: "Yup, but it's at home. Didn't fancy bringing it with me."

I think the core is in the confidence.

b,
b

A friend of mine was a customs officer and used to tell me some great stories. Some years ago he told me that he stopped someone who was bringing in 2 x 1 litre bottles of whisky. He told the person that he would have to pay duty on one bottle as he had gone over his allowance. The bloke got really irate and was making a scene and dropped one of the bottles on the floor smashing it and smiling as he said 'you can't charge me duty now'. The customs officer replied 'oh dear, you seem to have dropped your duty free bottle. We'll have to charge for the this one' as he held up the other bottle.

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1376767002' post='2178946']
Having recently dealt with US customs and immigration there is no way on earth I would be risking anything with them. "Welcome to the USA", indeed <_<
[/quote]

It's because your Scottish - they're worried your going to get pissed and smash their country up . :lol:

( Cue another round of completely unfounded allegations that Dingus is prejudiced against Scotland and its' two -club football league . Actually , make that one- club football league ...)

Edited by Dingus

Someone one told me that if I wanted to bring a bass back from America without paying duty I would stand a much better chance if I disassembled it and brought it back as parts . I got away with it but , even with the neck unattached , the amount of rectal discomfort was overwhelming and I would certainly never try anything like that again .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1376774410' post='2179074']
Someone one told me that if I wanted to bring a bass back from America without paying duty I would stand a much better chance if I disassembled it and brought it back as parts . I got away with it but , even with the neck unattached , the amount of rectal discomfort was overwhelming and I would certainly never try anything like that again .
[/quote]

:lol:

Without encriminating myself here and I am in no way advising you to break any laws, however the split guitar in the suitcase will work 999 times out of 1000. Don't ask how I know this statistic but take it as good advice. If by chance you are that 1 person then pay your dues and better luck next time. Please don't ask me to elaborate by pm or otherwise.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1376778238' post='2179118']
Don't ask how I know this statistic but take it as good advice.
[...]
Please don't ask me to elaborate by pm or otherwise.
[/quote]

Well, it's a moot point now, as Dingus already explained how you did it.
I don't understand it BTW. What if one of the condoms breaks? One can die!

So you're a customs officer, eh? Innersting ...

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1376778953' post='2179128']

Well, it's a moot point now, as Dingus already explained how you did it.

So you're a customs officer, eh? Innersting ...
[/quote]
Bloody Dingus....... The tuners really hurt.
Enough said.

I'm not a customs officer. I would be in jail for a very long time if I worked in customs. Lol.

Edited by the boy

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1376778238' post='2179118']
Without encriminating myself here and I am in no way advising you to break any laws, however the split guitar in the suitcase will work 999 times out of 1000.
[/quote]
I'm sure that there must be a module in the 'Customs Officer' course that covers what a guitar looks like with the neck removed when they open your suitcase although i could be wrong. :)

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1376780056' post='2179150']

I'm sure that there must be a module in the 'Customs Officer' course that covers what a guitar looks like with the neck removed when they open your suitcase although i could be wrong. :)
[/quote]
Ha ha :D
I know what you are doing here... You are trying to eak out a little more info with each post. Bit by bit you bastards will slowly build a somewhat frankensteined picture.

I'm not saying another word. Go with Dingus' plan and stick it up your arse for all I care. Jeez, you try to put a fellas mind at rest and................

My point is, it's only 1 in every 1000 suitcases that are physically checked.

Edited by the boy

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1376781386' post='2179168']
Ha ha :D
I know what you are doing here... You are trying to eak out a little more info with each post. Bit by bit you bastards will slowly build a somewhat frankensteined picture.
[/quote]
I have a mental picture of a bass guitar equivalent of this............ :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWHniL8MyMM

[quote name='tonybassplayer' timestamp='1376690189' post='2178198']
Wouldn't the tax implication only apply to new items purchased in a shop ?

If so buy used in a private sale
[/quote]Nope.

Beware the cheapie out replaced by something more expensive. It might / mahe worked for some people in the past, butif you get pulled they have people who know what they are looking at, and you run the risk of confiscation.

BTW isn't it funny how people get up in arms about greedy companies legally avoiding tax but are happy to consider evading tax smuggling a misrepresented item through Customs. I do realise that the numbers are significantly different, but still ... just sayin'

[quote name='WalMan' timestamp='1376787396' post='2179221']
BTW isn't it funny how people get up in arms about greedy companies legally avoiding tax but are happy to consider evading tax smuggling a misrepresented item through Customs.
[/quote]

Yeah, I'd agree with the general sentiment, but it's not certain these are the same people (unless you checked), and there's always the point of tax returns not always being a viable option in the country you're leaving.

Personally, I happily pay my VAT and other taxes, but really hate to pay them twice -- in the process actually paying tax again over the first tax, before we've even mentioned costs.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a look at the link to hmrc, and although i can get my mate to bring it back for me, it's probably not worth his hassle. If you can get a bass shipped and cleared duty/vat for about £100 it's not worth the agro. Atleast it would be covered by insurance the whole way!
Unfortunately the bass is a neck through so breaking it down is out!